Contest Discussion(s)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2024 12:05 am
Tags:
May 11, 2005
522 posts
58 upvotes
Vancouver
Spidey wrote: I rmember winning a huge Starbucks contest to India years ago worth $13,000, was super excited, until it turned out I would have to pay almost $2000 out of my won pocket to cover stuff they werent like transfers, taxes on stuff, etc

Didnt go because I couldnt afford it, and the prize never went to anyone else
Ouch! We are considering not going on a trip I won as it is going to cost us $450 to $500 EACH in "taxes, fees" (and likely more by the time we book and then take the trip in October.)
If they decide to add on more fuel surcharges, other fees, etc before we actually take the trip we are on the hook for those too. And, ...the trip has to be taken in off season (May to October) i.e. "tropical storm" cheap season. It looks like roundabout/layover type flights being offered too...
Will look at booking again in the summer, but are struggling if it is even worth it. Any storm delays, layovers, flight cancellations etc we would be on the hook, and once we pay those taxes we are out of pocket if we find we can't take the trip for whatever reason.
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16124 posts
362 upvotes
Etobicoke
http://www.windsorstar.com/Canadians+wi ... /story.htm

In the Windsor Star this morning. Thought it was you Spidey...
Avril Lavigne Black Star Parfum & Cineplex Night out for Two $126, Leapster Gaming System worth $59.99 US; Trip to Cuba ARV $2000; Cineplex Movie ticket (iCoke/Nestea contest)$10; Palaria Clothing Hoody $69;Joe Fresh GC $25; 4 tics for Ted Nugent Concert; Joe Fresh Make-up Kit $50.00; $25 Bath & Body Works GC (Fresh Fiction contest for DiAnn Mills); $1000 in TD Exlusive Offers contest; $100 necklace from an on-the-spot draw while shopping at Sears
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1559 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
I'm hoping that I can explain my difficulty properly and that someone knows how to help.

A few weeks ago, on a Steven and Chris contest, I accidentally hit a random key that shrunk the size of the details of the page and, most importantly, the size of the typeface. I don't have the best eyesight, so captions are sometimes hard, but they are now doubly so because of the shrinkage. I know that sometimes, web pages have a "mobile" version that is smaller, but if that is the case with the Steven and Chris site, I can't for the life of me find an "undo", to restore it to the desktop mode.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or know how to fix it?
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1396 posts
228 upvotes
pickmepickme wrote: I'm hoping that I can explain my difficulty properly and that someone knows how to help.

A few weeks ago, on a Steven and Chris contest, I accidentally hit a random key that shrunk the size of the details of the page and, most importantly, the size of the typeface. I don't have the best eyesight, so captions are sometimes hard, but they are now doubly so because of the shrinkage. I know that sometimes, web pages have a "mobile" version that is smaller, but if that is the case with the Steven and Chris site, I can't for the life of me find an "undo", to restore it to the desktop mode.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or know how to fix it?
What browser are you using and are you experiencing it only on that one contest page or everywhere?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1559 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
I use Firefox, but because you posed the question, I just tried the contest link in both IE and Chrome. They both have lovely, full-screen desktop versions, but the Firefox one only fills about half the screen (all in the middle, with large, white sections to each side). And yes, it is only the Steven and Chris pages that are affected. I actually saw it shrink before my eyes when I accidentally touched a random key.

Thank you for replying and I hope that you know what has happened and how to fix it. I don't really want to switch to a different browser just for those contest forms.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1396 posts
228 upvotes
Cntrl + is the quickest and easiest but doesn't always work for me. In Firefox go to the "view" menu and select zoom in until it is big enough. I frequently have to resize pages in Facebook contests and cntrl + works maybe half the time. GL
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1559 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
digidaze wrote: Cntrl + is the quickest and easiest but doesn't always work for me. In Firefox go to the "view" menu and select zoom in until it is big enough. I frequently have to resize pages in Facebook contests and cntrl + works maybe half the time. GL
Thank you both! the Ctrl + worked, and I'll keep the other fix on bookmark in case I need it in the future.

Very much appreciate the help!

:D
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2006
2536 posts
47784 upvotes
Kitchener
I have a question about the rafflecopter contests. I don't really enter too many of them.
Am just curious about when it says you can enter tweets daily or facebook shares daily for additional entries; when I do the additional entries no entries seem to be added to the entry totals.
Anyone know why? Am just curious if you really do get extra entries.

Thanks
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26001 posts
211229 upvotes
GTA
RobertX wrote: I have a question about the rafflecopter contests. I don't really enter too many of them.
Am just curious about when it says you can enter tweets daily or facebook shares daily for additional entries; when I do the additional entries no entries seem to be added to the entry totals.

Thanks
I can't say that I've noticed, since I also don't enter very many, however, usually at the top of the RC form there is usually a maximum number of entries indicated (and the daily Twitter entries are usually over and above this maximum), so I'm not sure that they would show there. I believe I have seen where the first tweet/follow shows in the number of entries above, and I think it's only the initial one that usually shows - the "bonus" ones don't, but I would hope they would still be taken into consideration.
Jul 13, 2003
313 posts
1035 upvotes
RobertX wrote: I have a question about the rafflecopter contests. I don't really enter too many of them.

Thanks
Yes the entries do show up on the back end to the person hosting the rafflecopter form.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2006
2536 posts
47784 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks for the replies toguy & jonnieh.
Jul 21, 2013
4 posts
1 upvote
Newmarket
I have a question about the smaller blog rafflecopters. How do most of them contact the winners? Do you have to go look in the newsletters they send out? Or do they email winners? Wondering if these are worth the time snd effort to daily.
Jul 13, 2003
313 posts
1035 upvotes
Leigh-AnnM447 wrote: I have a question about the smaller blog rafflecopters. How do most of them contact the winners? Do you have to go look in the newsletters they send out? Or do they email winners? Wondering if these are worth the time snd effort to daily.
I have won many blog giveaways and the vast majority do email you to let you know you won. Occassionally, the blog owner will tweet out to the winner instead and I have seen a few who expect you to go back and check the blog post to see if you're the winner.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
3111 posts
4641 upvotes
Quick question. I won 2 plane tickets from WestJet. In the rules is states: (approximate maximum retail value $2,226.00 based on round trip flights for two people between Toronto, ON and Edmonton, AB). Do you think that means that my tickets cannot exceed $2,226.00 or are they just giving an example? Want to go to Hawaii but not sure if they will cover the whole amount if the flights exceed $2,226.00. Going to send off an email but thought I would get an idea of what you guys thought.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24148 posts
43040 upvotes
ONTARIO
gofforever wrote: Quick question. I won 2 plane tickets from WestJet. In the rules is states: (approximate maximum retail value $2,226.00 based on round trip flights for two people between Toronto, ON and Edmonton, AB). Do you think that means that my tickets cannot exceed $2,226.00 or are they just giving an example? Want to go to Hawaii but not sure if they will cover the whole amount if the flights exceed $2,226.00. Going to send off an email but thought I would get an idea of what you guys thought.
What did they give you to book your flights? A booking code to use online yourself or do they plan to arrange the flights for you?

I won two round trip tickets to anywhere I want in Canada on Air Canada (they say value $4000 - but not really).
They gave me a booking code (it's like a promo code) that I enter on their website when I want to book my flights.
It comes up showing the booking code is a 100% discount. It's locked to Canada only though, so if I try to use it on an international flight it says not eligible.

How are they doing it with your tickets from WestJet? If they just gave you some sort of promo code to use on their website worth a certain value, then I guess you could use it to go anywhere up to that value (or pay the difference)?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
3111 posts
4641 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: What did they give you to book your flights? A booking code to use online yourself or do they plan to arrange the flights for you?

I won two round trip tickets to anywhere I want in Canada on Air Canada (they say value $4000 - but not really).
They gave me a booking code (it's like a promo code) that I enter on their website when I want to book my flights.
It comes up showing the booking code is a 100% discount. It's locked to Canada only though, so if I try to use it on an international flight it says not eligible.

How are they doing it with your tickets from WestJet? If they just gave you some sort of promo code to use on their website worth a certain value, then I guess you could use it to go anywhere up to that value (or pay the difference)?
I have a code, but to use it I have to call a specific number for WestJet. Also I cannot book more than 30 days before my travel date.
Feb 28, 2011
128 posts
9 upvotes
WINDSOR, Canada
Two questions; has anyone ever won a style genie facebook contest? Is is USA only or Canada as well?
https://www.facebook.com/stylegenie1

they are having 100 giveaways, mostly expensive furniture ending on the 28th. I have not been able to see if this is open to canada or the usa, if you don't have to live in the USA, I have family there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)