Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2012
1426 posts
2198 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
got this in my email yesterday from Hilton HHonors with this subject line:

Be Aware: Fraudsters Posing as Hilton Telemarketers‏

Hilton Worldwide recently became aware of a fraudulent, organized campaign of telemarketing "robocalls" that appears to target Canadian residents. The call recipients are asked to provide personal information, including credit card information to receive free nights at a major hotel provider.

We want to make it clear that these calls are not originating from Hilton Worldwide and have no validity. If anyone receives such a call, they should hang up and not provide any sensitive or personal information.

We take information security very seriously and have notified the appropriate law enforcement authorities. More information on telephone scams can be found on the Canadian Telecommunications Commission's Web site: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/g9.htm.

We value your privacy; under no circumstance will we contact you to request personal or credit card information. We only request these details when a guest books a reservation or promotional package by telephone, and we will never ask for your HHonors account log-in details. If you receive any such a request, please do not respond and notify us at hhwlossprevention@hilton.com.

Safe Travels,
Hilton HHonors
2015: $3967
2014 - 2006: Hollywood Trip/Sundance Film Trip/Niagara Golf Trip/$6000 cash/$2500 cash/$2500 Petro gc/$1000 The Source gc/$500 The Source gc/$500 Rona gc/$1000 Callaway Golf Set
Thank you to those who contribute on RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3524 posts
15859 upvotes
Halifax
I was at the garden centre at Home Depot yesterday ( using a gift card win :) ), and I noticed that the receipt had a survey contest. Did the survey this morning and then read the rules. This perplexed me...

RANDOM DRAWING/NOTIFICATION: On August 21, 2015 at 1:00 AM EST in Chennai, India, one (1) prize winner (the “Prize Winner”) will be selected in a random drawing etc etc

The drawing is taking place in India? Lol The survey says for any questions to contact their offices in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3524 posts
15859 upvotes
Halifax
Re: Canada Dry PIN Contest, had a good score at Walmart.

They had the 1L contest bottles on for 2 for $2, so $1 each. They had 11 left, I bought 11. ;)

Found the deal in the grocery section, not the pop section. The 1L's are normally $1.25, so they are prob still the cheapest entry option even not on sale. The 500 ml at Walmart was 1.88.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2009
2720 posts
199 upvotes
"A winner of a previous Bell Media Inc. contest within the three (3) months preceding the start of this Contest (including persons designated by such winners to take ownership of prizes) and persons domiciled with a winner are not eligible to enter. "

I know Bell media is the parent company of many companies that run a lot of contests, inducing our local radio stations. So by this statement from their contest rules, I can't win anything from all of those contest for the next 3 months because I won movie tickets I couldn't use last week.

That's a lot of wasted entries...
Apr 3, 2010
581 posts
845 upvotes
Tracydeanne wrote: Re: Canada Dry PIN Contest, had a good score at Walmart.

They had the 1L contest bottles on for 2 for $2, so $1 each. They had 11 left, I bought 11. ;)

Found the deal in the grocery section, not the pop section. The 1L's are normally $1.25, so they are prob still the cheapest entry option even not on sale. The 500 ml at Walmart was 1.88.
Did you get the "specially-marked" ones? The regular ones don't have pins, and stores still have a lot of old stock.

The Wal-mart in the Scarborough Town Centre in Toronto, only has 2 litre bottles, although some were marked. I'm going to have to try and find some way to get more entries and less ginger ale.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3524 posts
15859 upvotes
Halifax
Hotdiggety wrote: Did you get the "specially-marked" ones? The regular ones don't have pins, and stores still have a lot of old stock.

The Wal-mart in the Scarborough Town Centre in Toronto, only has 2 litre bottles, although some were marked. I'm going to have to try and find some way to get more entries and less ginger ale.
The 1L's were a mixture of marked and non marked. Of course I took all the marked. ;)

If you're paying any more than the cost of two stamps, you're better off doing the no purchase entry.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43246 upvotes
ONTARIO
I won a 2L coupon this morning from that contest. That seems to be all I can ever win from those Canada Dry contests.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2013
2971 posts
7523 upvotes
Halifax, NS
teal wrote: "A winner of a previous Bell Media Inc. contest within the three (3) months preceding the start of this Contest (including persons designated by such winners to take ownership of prizes) and persons domiciled with a winner are not eligible to enter. "

I know Bell media is the parent company of many companies that run a lot of contests, inducing our local radio stations. So by this statement from their contest rules, I can't win anything from all of those contest for the next 3 months because I won movie tickets I couldn't use last week.

That's a lot of wasted entries...
I wonder how strictly they enforce this? ...Anyone have any insight?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
Missycat wrote: I had my own number call me too. Reminded me of the old story about the babysitter who was receiving scary phone calls and when she contacted the operator she was told the calls were coming from inside her house.
Me, too, and I totally thought the same thing about that old movie!
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3524 posts
15859 upvotes
Halifax
seafoodmwg wrote: I wonder how strictly they enforce this? ...Anyone have any insight?
I have a friend who won a Marilyn contest ($5k Sears card) a few years ago. They specifically asked him if he'd won any bell media contests in previous three months when they called, and told him they would be confirming that he hadn't before prize was issued.

I can't say they do the same for all, but it sounds like a policy that's adhered to. All their contests must be run by same PR company? I don't see how else they would know, there are so many different divisions and companies.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2009
2720 posts
199 upvotes
Tracydeanne wrote: I have a friend who won a Marilyn contest ($5k Sears card) a few years ago. They specifically asked him if he'd won any bell media contests in previous three months when they called, and told him they would be confirming that he hadn't before prize was issued.

I can't say they do the same for all, but it sounds like a policy that's adhered to. All their contests must be run by same PR company? I don't see how else they would know, there are so many different divisions and companies.
It would explain why I win movie tickets about once every three months. lol

I only enter for things I will use, but maybe I should be even pickier about what I enter. I have my heart-set on winning a trip (anywhere, lol) maybe I should focus only on those for a while and see if it makes a differences. :lol:
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3524 posts
15859 upvotes
Halifax
teal wrote: It would explain why I win movie tickets about once every three months. lol

I only enter for things I will use, but maybe I should be even pickier about what I enter. I have my heart-set on winning a trip (anywhere, lol) maybe I should focus only on those for a while and see if it makes a differences. :lol:
I don't usually enter for movie tickets, but I guess I always think I can just decline a prize (ie don't respond) if it's small or not something I want and falls under the Bell umbrella.

I'm sure the Bell contests attract hundreds of thousands of entries, I would think you would be super lucky if you won two in a three month period.

Plus, you never know when you might get a notification, it could be months after a contest ends!
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
1484 posts
651 upvotes
Edmonton
Is anyone else still waiting on there gift card from the co-op McCain just add friends contest? They said back in March they would mail them in 3 weeks or so. TIA.
2018 wins $150
2017 wins $15
2015 wins $5500
2014 wins $100.97
2013 wins $2374.50
2012 wins $4690.29
Sep 28, 2013
315 posts
272 upvotes
BRANTFORD
For those Bell Media contests. Do you actually have to CLAIM the prize to be ineligible for 3 months? I think I've won tickets from them but I never land up taking them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
Don't stroke out-there's bound to be some instant-win or survey contest or scratch card prize win coming your way.

The post about Bell Media's 3-month exclusion from contest entries after a win-makes the distribution fairer. Like @teal wrote, it could be better to chase after the prizes of greatest interest across the Bell empire than entering for all/any contests.
Have new cookbooks but am not cooking anything new yet.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2009
2720 posts
199 upvotes
Tracydeanne wrote: I don't usually enter for movie tickets, but I guess I always think I can just decline a prize (ie don't respond) if it's small or not something I want and falls under the Bell umbrella.

I'm sure the Bell contests attract hundreds of thousands of entries, I would think you would be super lucky if you won two in a three month period.

Plus, you never know when you might get a notification, it could be months after a contest ends!
I'd assume some of the Bell contests get lots of enteries, but not necessarily the small local ones. I see you're in Halifax (like me!), I win a Metro contest (movie tickets or event tickets) about every three months (which makes so much more sense now! lol). They are a Bell media company, so if I'm winning these every 3 months, even if the odds are small for the bigger prizes from their 100 other sub-companies, I wouldn't have a chance at winning.

My contesting goal (since I started entering years ago) is to win a trip,so I might try an experiment for the summer and focus on trip contests. :D

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)