• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 2:13 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
4627 posts
6132 upvotes
Toronto
pickmepickme wrote: Wow, that's evil. I thought that you had to retweet the original tweet, not someone else's retweet.
It depends on how the contest winner is picked. If the company (does the right thing and) clicks on Retweets on the original tweet, then they only see those that actually retweeted it. But many just look for the hashtags and/or @name in a search, and then pick a random number and the person they find at that position wins. In that case, bots prevail. All they have to do is actually LOOK at the account to know if it's a bot, though, but I think most companies can't be bothered.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1559 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
spamgirl wrote: It depends on how the contest winner is picked. If the company (does the right thing and) clicks on Retweets on the original tweet, then they only see those that actually retweeted it. But many just look for the hashtags and/or @name in a search, and then pick a random number and the person they find at that position wins. In that case, bots prevail. All they have to do is actually LOOK at the account to know if it's a bot, though, but I think most companies can't be bothered.

Thanks for the info, despite how discouraging it is.
Jan 8, 2006
21 posts
15 upvotes
Round Hill
Anyone had problems with Lenas Twitter parties. Won a selfie stick 6 months ago have asked several times about it and keep getting the same answer....looking into it....now no reply. Not too impressed. It's the only win this year I haven't recieved
Feb 3, 2015
402 posts
5621 upvotes
Ontario
gina224 wrote: Anyone had problems with Lenas Twitter parties. Won a selfie stick 6 months ago have asked several times about it and keep getting the same answer....looking into it....now no reply. Not too impressed. It's the only win this year I haven't recieved
I've won twice from her. Once last May ($150) and I recieved my prize pretty quickly, and I won $50 in coupons last week. Have you tried contacting the sponser? She most likely isn't in charge of shipping it, all she does is pass your info on to the sponser. I won a party from YMC once and they said the prize could take 6 months to arrive, but it came in 4. 6 months is quite a long time.
Aug 9, 2015
0 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
pickmepickme wrote: What purpose does retweeting us do for them?
That's what I didn't understand. But I guess they are just throwing a bunch of crud at the wall to see what sticks? Retweet many, win some-type deal.
I thought that retweets were good for us, though? (Aside from the annoying notifications). I read somewhere that Twitter has algorithms or whatever that place retweeted tweets higher in a search. So that would be good for a contester if the sponsor just searches for hashtags, making your tweet show higher - or is this wrong?
Also, if Twitter suspended me, a mere mortal, after a mere 2-3 months of contesting, for tweeting too much... why are these obvious bots still botting away???

As for entering spouses... I don't enter mine, except a couple times when the prize was a big truck. Like the Costco one. Other than that I don't, b/c there are so many contests as it is I can just barely manage my own entries! And he doesn't want any spam emails and such. As long as the rules say it's okay, I don't think it looks bad.

On an unrelated note, I have continued to enter contests, after they're done, several times now. That's the worst!
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3524 posts
15859 upvotes
Halifax
manitobaville wrote:
On an unrelated note, I have continued to enter contests, after they're done, several times now. That's the worst!
If a sponsor is searching for hashtags for a contest, it makes no difference where you pop up in a search. There is a program that automatically searches and adds all hashtags to a database and then enables you to do a random draw. They'd have no idea where your tweet or retweet came from.

Re: end dates, I'm not sure how you organize your contests, but I label all mine with end date. And on last day I check to make sure sponsor hasn't extended (or that I didn't label the wrong date lol).
Oct 28, 2013
520 posts
452 upvotes
Not Toronto
manitobaville wrote:
As for entering spouses... I don't enter mine, except a couple times when the prize was a big truck. Like the Costco one. Other than that I don't, b/c there are so many contests as it is I can just barely manage my own entries! And he doesn't want any spam emails and such. As long as the rules say it's okay, I don't think it looks bad.

Speaking of the Costco contest, have they announced the winner yet? I really wanted to win that one!! I've seen rules about "multiple identities" so I worry I will disqualify myself, but he's a real person, not a fake identity!

Ha, and I've entered contests after they're done too, lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3524 posts
15859 upvotes
Halifax
queentasha wrote: Speaking of the Costco contest, have they announced the winner yet? I really wanted to win that one!! I've seen rules about "multiple identities" so I worry I will disqualify myself, but he's a real person, not a fake identity!

Ha, and I've entered contests after they're done too, lol.
The issue isn't whether or not someone is "real". Rules will often say one per household, one per person, not allowed to use more than one email etc.

In order to screen out those who don't comply or who might be entering under multiple names, sponsors can do many things...easiest being to disqualify all entries coming from same IP. Personally, I don't think it's worth the potential to lose all your entries, but to each their own.
Oct 28, 2013
520 posts
452 upvotes
Not Toronto
Tracydeanne wrote: The issue isn't whether or not someone is "real". Rules will often say one per household, one per person, not allowed to use more than one email etc.

In order to screen out those who don't comply or who might be entering under multiple names, sponsors can do many things...easiest being to disqualify all entries coming from same IP. Personally, I don't think it's worth the potential to lose all your entries, but to each their own.
That makes sense, I'd hate to put in all this time and end up disqualified. I think I'll stop doing this, thanks for the feedback!
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
3121 posts
4712 upvotes
queentasha wrote: That makes sense, I'd hate to put in all this time and end up disqualified. I think I'll stop doing this, thanks for the feedback!
Most contests tell you if it's one per IP address or not. For instance most of the kids sites like YTV mention that entry is per person up to 4 per household. I've also asked if both my husband and I can enter and have been told yes. I do admit that the wording could be a bit more clearer. Some contests limit your entry per address, sometimes it is limited per phone number. Read the rules so that you don't mess up and if you are unsure, send the company and email for clarification.
Oct 28, 2013
520 posts
452 upvotes
Not Toronto
gofforever wrote: Most contests tell you if it's one per IP address or not. For instance most of the kids sites like YTV mention that entry is per person up to 4 per household. I've also asked if both my husband and I can enter and have been told yes. I do admit that the wording could be a bit more clearer. Some contests limit your entry per address, sometimes it is limited per phone number. Read the rules so that you don't mess up and if you are unsure, send the company and email for clarification.
Great, thanks! I've only been doing this for a month and I'm still totally overwhelmed by all the rules and how to do it. Form filler? No form filler? So many things to figure out!

Both my kids enter the YTV contests from the same PC but they do it themselves! They're convinced that they're going to will something lol.
Aug 9, 2015
0 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
queentasha wrote:
Both my kids enter the YTV contests from the same PC but they do it themselves! They're convinced that they're going to will something lol.
Haha, not mine- no contesting for them. My family thinks I'm insane, haha. (They may well be right.) I NEED to win something cool just to spite them!

I noticed something new on Twitter today: I was checking for a RT contest, and did a search. Found a tweet by the sponsor, and it looked liked I hadn't retweeted it. The retweet thingy was not green. Usually turns green after retweeting. So I go to the sponsor's account, but now I can see that I DID retweet it. I can see that it's green. Went back and did a general search for 'rt to win', and when scrolling the results, none of the ones I've retweeted are showing as such. I know I've retweeted, but I can't tell from a search, without going to the account's page. It wasn't like that yesterday! So it made me wonder if this is Twitter punishing me for contest retweets?!? Hope not!
May 25, 2012
337 posts
1395 upvotes
I entered a voting contest (ugh, god help me) Does anyone know where I can ask real, legitimate people - like myself - to vote? I've posted on my fb wall, messaged all my friends bugging them but am hoping there's somewhere else I can ask.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
3524 posts
15859 upvotes
Halifax
Good luck to everyone in all the contests that closed in October!
Deal Addict
May 12, 2009
2720 posts
199 upvotes
Tracydeanne wrote: Good luck to everyone in all the contests that closed in October!
Good luck to you too! :D

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

JDrifts