• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 2:13 pm
Tags:
Banned
Nov 27, 2009
698 posts
205 upvotes
MID TORONTO St clai…
I have been wondering for some time if the contests that require you to share information, lets say, on your Facebook page, telling your friends that you have entered a specific contest determines whether you are allowed to win or not?

In other words, on many, they ask if you would like to share it on your FB page. Has there been any proof either way showing that NOT sharing the information will make you ineligible if you do win, or vice versa?
Their reasoning of course, for you to share, is to get as much advertisement as possible so if you dont share it on your profile, you are not really helping them to find new potential customers. Therefore i have always wondered if you dont share such info, whether they might consider you ineligible and choose a second winner instead?

For my own reasons of privacy, I dont share the information but if it has been proven that this can affect the outcome, I would no longer enter contests of that nature.

TIA
"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ass?"
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1559 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
ShiksKev wrote: I have been wondering for some time if the contests that require you to share information, lets say, on your Facebook page, telling your friends that you have entered a specific contest determines whether you are allowed to win or not?

In other words, on many, they ask if you would like to share it on your FB page. Has there been any proof either way showing that NOT sharing the information will make you ineligible if you do win, or vice versa?
Their reasoning of course, for you to share, is to get as much advertisement as possible so if you dont share it on your profile, you are not really helping them to find new potential customers. Therefore i have always wondered if you dont share such info, whether they might consider you ineligible and choose a second winner instead?

For my own reasons of privacy, I dont share the information but if it has been proven that this can affect the outcome, I would no longer enter contests of that nature.

TIA
I don't have proof about the Facebook issue (because I have a FB account strictly for contests so don't mind "sharing"), but you are probably also wondering if you have a chance to win prizes if you opt NOT to sign up for a sponsor's newsletters or other offers. I have absolutely won prizes from some of those contests and I do NOT agree to accept their spam as a condition of entering. Some, of course, are specifically making you sign up for their newsletter, but the ones that say it is optional usually mean it.

I hope that I have made this clearer than mud, lol.

:)
Aug 14, 2005
261 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
heffbell wrote: Congrats on that win! If this contest was open to canadians, they should have a canadian version of the release which a) would not need to be notarized but rather just witnessed and b) you would not have to supply sin number but unfortunately you may have to pay taxes on that win, make sure you ask!

Yeah, I spoke to them and they sent me another form for Canadians, its a called release and declaration of compliance, where I just need it to be witnessed.
2011 Wins ~ $1862.98
2012 Wins ~ $10
2013 Wins ~ $19
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Cyanne wrote: I'm participating in my first ever voting contest, the yellowtail one where you make a toast. When it came to getting votes, of course I started by asking close friends and family, but then I emailed a lot of people I'd helped in the past to ask for the favour of voting for me (I sent the email BCC to everybody to preserve their privacy).

But though just about all of the responses I received were positive, I've heard second-hand that there were complaints and one person even complained to the sponsor and tried (unsuccessfully) to get me disqualified. The sponsors actually forwarded me their response to the person who wrote to them, though they didn't show me what the complaint had specifically said. The person who complained never said a word to me at all.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this. Are we supposed to ask a person if we can ask them for a vote before we ask? That seems a bit ridiculous. Should requests to vote always be written personally, one-to-one? That seems like it would take too long. How do you guys manage it? I didn't expect everyone I asked to vote for me, but I certainly didn't expect them to try to get me disqualified for asking!

Should I confront the person who complained? Should I ask the sponsor for the specifics of the complaint? Or maybe I should just let it go since the sponsor didn't do anything.

This whole experience is leaving a sour taste in my mouth :( .

Had this happen to me in the Global pet food contest last fall that was voting. First prize was a car. Man the mud slinging and acusations made of the people that were winning was disgusting. I was called down I dont know how many times and accused of cheating becaue I was getting a lot of votes from facebook from an allowed way to enter.

I will never enter anther voting contest again.
Dec 8, 2010
639 posts
2038 upvotes
I'm curious. Does anyone know why the just posted mastro Italy Contest thread is closed? Is it not legit?
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2008
19809 posts
378567 upvotes
Ottawa
alpen wrote: I'm curious. Does anyone know why the just posted mastro Italy Contest thread is closed? Is it not legit?

the dude kept reposting it that was his 5th repost of it. and after warnings to stop he did it again.
bring back colour
Dec 8, 2010
639 posts
2038 upvotes
Ah. Okay. Makes sense. Thanks Villmark
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2009
5661 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
Spidey wrote: Had this happen to me in the Global pet food contest last fall that was voting. First prize was a car. Man the mud slinging and acusations made of the people that were winning was disgusting. I was called down I dont know how many times and accused of cheating becaue I was getting a lot of votes from facebook from an allowed way to enter.

I hear ya, of the 2 voting contests I entered, I got screwed on both. The first I had the 4th most votes and got a prize designated for last place. The second one I was in a for a week then one of my contest 'friends' entered and rallied against me, needless to say I don't help her out anymore....
....Now I have more time for contests :lol:
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2008
19809 posts
378567 upvotes
Ottawa
theres been a lot of issues with people not finding contests when they search. I find it easiest to do two or 3 searches with just single words eg. Jeld-wen windows contest. i would search Jeld and then windows and then Jeld-wen. but ive attached a pic to show which search feature to use to make it easier if you use this one it will only seach contests as opposed to all of rfd.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FergI.jpg[/IMG]
bring back colour
May 30, 2007
445 posts
675 upvotes
The Pas
Spidey wrote: Had this happen to me in the Global pet food contest last fall that was voting. First prize was a car. Man the mud slinging and accusations made of the people that were winning was disgusting. I was called down I don't know how many times and accused of cheating because I was getting a lot of votes from facebook from an allowed way to enter.

Voting contests are hard..the rules are very unclear in most of them, then ppl complain if you use voting groups (even if they are small groups where the votes are only one - one). There is also the problem of huge international voting groups where you see offers of 10 - 1 votes (most of these would be ppl with more than one account).

Ppl will always complain no matter who wins and how they win. Everyone wants the big prize and they are mad if they don't get it. By the same point there is a great deal of cheating that goes on in these contests. I was in a photo contest last yr and had been working my butt of for 2 weeks (so had bidchka) we were back and forth between 1st & 2nd...out of nowhere a guy enters and has more votes in 4 hours than either of us in two weeks. That guy was DQ'd but we ended up loosing to some kid w/ a snail on her nose who still came out of no where to beat us both..that kind of ended me with the voting contest thing. Now I only do top ten where those top 10 are judged.
Wins So Far For 2011 $13,540
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
1509 posts
31 upvotes
I can recall back in the late 90ies I took part in probably one of the first North American contests that entailed a voting of stuff on the interenet. I was part of a team from Canada squaring off against 4 USA teams and the voting took place over a wek and a half. With about 4 days left the team I was part of got into first place and while we expanded our lead no one was gaining on us. Now the site had something employed that would prevent a user from voting more then once. Now the people who did this contest were in the USa. Anyway when we got down to the last 24 hours our lead was so big we figured if something was phoney and we did not win that the contest was rigged. Luck for us or should I say them we did win but with people nowadays being able to surf invisable or alter ISP's it makes me wonder what would happen.

As a seperate question for those of you who enter contests on Twitter or Facebook do you do both or just one? If you do both do you find one is better then the other?
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10476 posts
656 upvotes
New-Brunswick
You shweeter's get the Email about the points lottery? My question is do we need to use our points to enter or does having a lot of points make us eligible?

I mean I have 6500 points but I'm not going to use them all up for a 1/25 chance at winning an Apple TV! But if it means that I can enter the contest and NOT lose my points for a 1/25 chance, then :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3419 posts
2071 upvotes
GVRD
From how I understand it, each entry costs a certain amount of points, so you don't get the points refunded.

However, it still might be worth entering this time, as there might be less entries since it's the beginning of the lottery system.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10476 posts
656 upvotes
New-Brunswick
scv wrote: From how I understand it, each entry costs a certain amount of points, so you don't get the points refunded.

However, it still might be worth entering this time, as there might be less entries since it's the beginning of the lottery system.

If it does use points, I will hold out for future draws and take my chances there. From the prizes they have listed in the upcoming 4 draws, it looks like our points are only buying better odds- not necessarily better prizes. Even though it does make sense that entries would cost points, I won't drop 90%+ of my points on an Apple TV when they've already given it as a regular prize. Maybe if I hold out long enough I'll see something like Ipods or even an Ipad.

I was kind of expecting more honestly... they are doing it the way I figured they would- but I expected better prizes. Don't get me wrong, I love Shweet and will keep participating on a daily basis but as their user base and visibility improve, I expected the prizes to get better. My impression was that once companies started to see the Shweet formula as a viable method of advertising they would give higher value prizes to attract more new members resulting in an increase in free advertising.
Banned
Nov 27, 2009
698 posts
205 upvotes
MID TORONTO St clai…
Question:

Since many of these contests only allow one entry per phone number, or something......how on earth do you remember which ones you have entered already or not?
I am assuming that for contests that do say that only one entry is allowed, IF you do enter a few times and then win, they can delete you I suppose if they find out you have entered more than once, at least under the same information, email and phone number, correct?
"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ass?"
Dec 12, 2010
224 posts
89 upvotes
ShiksKev wrote: Question:

Since many of these contests only allow one entry per phone number, or something......how on earth do you remember which ones you have entered already or not?
I am assuming that for contests that do say that only one entry is allowed, IF you do enter a few times and then win, they can delete you I suppose if they find out you have entered more than once, at least under the same information, email and phone number, correct?

As far as keeping track of the 1x only contests, i guess everyone has their own system. What i do is after doing it i leave a comment in the thread, usually i just thank the person who posted it. By doing this you will notice that there is a little blue arrow on the left hand side of the thread. You will see that arrow on all the threads that you have left messages in.
If the rules state 1 per/household then that's it 1 only, but it might also say 1 per email or 1 per person. you really just have to read the rules .
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2009
5741 posts
1406 upvotes
ShiksKev wrote: Question:

I personally have seprarate folders for dailies, weeklys, monthlys and 1 time only. The one time only I try to enter close to the end date to avoid entering it twice and after I enter it I edit the name I have in the folder and add entered to the name in the folder. I know many people here have better ways to do this but I have not figured out any other way yet that works for me. Hope that helps a little.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)