Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8921 posts
14146 upvotes

Contest Forum

Users track which contests they have viewed/entered by replying to original post.

Problem: Old and even expired contests are bumped to the top numerous times; the result is messy. Additionally some users find it a time consuming tracking system. One has to sort through "Thanks" posts to locate the code/UPC...updates

Possible Solutions:
1. Pressing the OPs thanks button changed the icon on the thread view.
2. There be a button beside each title on the thread view that can be used to indicate a contest has been entered/discarded.
3. A hide button so entered/discarded contests are hidden.

Certainly these solutions would decrease the frustrations being expressed by many contester, while still allowing flexibility for posting UPCs, codes and more personalized thanks to the OP.

Can this please be addressed at the next Meeting of the Minds,

ishfish :)
7 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10104 posts
443 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Good ideas... The button idea has come up before but obviously hasn't been done.

Personnally, what I'd like is an 'hide' button next to threads so you can just click that to never seem them again. I rarely go back to a thread and there are so many in the contest forum that it can be hard to keep track of everything.
KitKat item collector- always looking for swag or branded items.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6798 posts
2706 upvotes
I support any of the three ideas proposed in this thread. The third idea of 'Hiding' a thread seems to be the idea that would be most applicable for the rest of the forum as well, as long as its implementation is not hidden behind multiple menus.

The first idea: "Pressing the OPs thanks button changes the icon on the thread view" would be most unobtrusive way of adding the feature if it were to propogate to the rest of the board. If thanking the first post returned the same icon as posting in a thread, that would be fine by most contestors (or if you want to design slightly new versions of icons, that's even better!).

The second idea: "2. There be a button beside each title on the thread view that can be used to indicate a contest has been entered/discarded." will improve the experience for contestors the most, though I can imagine it has limited uses outside of the Contest forum. However, if you can implement it for just the Contest forum, I think this is the best solution.

The ideal solution should be something that can be applied (eg. checked off/hidden) from both the thread view, and from the inside of each thread.

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106485 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Second that.

Aside from the thread bumping, another issue with the serial "thanks"ing is that the substantive replies get lost in the background.

As a frequent contest poster, I like to keep an eye on the contests that I post in case any questions/problems come up. The best way to stay notified of this is by subscribing to RFD's thread notifications feature where you get an email sent to you whenever someone replies to a thread you're watching. This got to be an exercise in frustration as I was deleting 100+ notification emails a day, because all they were doing was notifying me that someone had just "thanks"ed the thread.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106485 upvotes
Richmond Hill
IMO, although this issue originated from Contest Forum, it's just as applicable to Hot Deals and Freebies. Albeit there's less of the serial "thanks"ing going on in Hot Deals and Freebies than there is in Contests Forum, in some of the more active threads it's still a pain to wade through all the thanks replies to follow the meat of the discussion.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
2505 posts
571 upvotes
ishfish wrote:
May 28th, 2012 10:44 am
Users track which contests they have viewed/entered by replying to original post.

Problem: Old and even expired contests are bumped to the top numerous times; the result is messy. Additionally some users find it a time consuming tracking system. One has to sort through "Thanks" posts to locate the code/UPC...updates

Possible Solutions:
1. Pressing the OPs thanks button changed the icon on the thread view.
2. There be a button beside each title on the thread view that can be used to indicate a contest has been entered/discarded.
3. A hide button so entered/discarded contests are hidden.

Certainly these solutions would decrease the frustrations being expressed by many contester, while still allowing flexibility for posting UPCs, codes and more personalized thanks to the OP.

Can this please be addressed at the next Meeting of the Minds,

ishfish :)
Excellent Ideas...I have taken them down and will present them at this week's Community Development Meeting
For all community related matters, please PM TomRFD
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8921 posts
14146 upvotes
Thanks Oranr for helping us best manage our obsessions and addictions.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20187 posts
136000 upvotes
GTA
Good ideas, although as mentioned above, the needs being unique to a certain extent in the Contests forum, it would be ideal if the solution could be applied to the Contests forum alone. I am sure the bulletin board software offers some flexibility in this regard (there is no 'thanks' button in the OT forum, for example).

If solution #1 is implemented to all forums, I can see that being an issue for some, since usually I only want to see the 'replied' indicator in thread view when I have commented or asked a question about something, and not when I have simply thanked the OP. I am certain there are those who desire for that separation in the Contests forum as well. Ultimately we may need to have a new icon designed for that purpose (or perhaps we could use an existing one (the 'thumbs up' icon or something of the like)).