Contests

[Other]

Contest Winners Alert: Pls Post Your Contest Wins Here

Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
Might be premature on the Carhartt win. They make you jump through hoops to get the prize and you are subject to a 30% withholding tax. Also have to make out a W-8BEN form for U.S. tax purposes and have it in to them within 5 days. I wish the mail traveled that fast. I cannot email the form. So, looks like Canadians are at a severe disadvantage when winning on this contest...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
6103 posts
6790 upvotes
Caledonia, ON
DougO wrote: Might be premature on the Carhartt win. They make you jump through hoops to get the prize and you are subject to a 30% withholding tax. Also have to make out a W-8BEN form for U.S. tax purposes and have it in to them within 5 days. I wish the mail traveled that fast. I cannot email the form. So, looks like Canadians are at a severe disadvantage when winning on this contest...
That's lame. Congrats on the win though
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
Melkor wrote: That's lame. Congrats on the win though
Yeah, it was my first US win. Odd that you can't email a pdf of the form as we all do up here. Maybe because it's an IRS form since all wins are taxable (unlike up here). Waiting to hear back from them as to how to proceed but might have to forfeit this one...
Feb 3, 2015
402 posts
5621 upvotes
Ontario
DougO wrote: Might be premature on the Carhartt win. They make you jump through hoops to get the prize and you are subject to a 30% withholding tax. Also have to make out a W-8BEN form for U.S. tax purposes and have it in to them within 5 days. I wish the mail traveled that fast. I cannot email the form. So, looks like Canadians are at a severe disadvantage when winning on this contest...
I've e-mailed that form multiple times for a contest/business, so weird they're insisting it be sent by mail. Canada Post has Xpresspost Prepaid Envelopes, the US one is around ~$28 but guarantees delivery in 2-3 business days. It might still be worth it, especially since it's $100USD, the exchange rate would cover the shipping costs...
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
4265 posts
23520 upvotes
North York
That form needs to be completed in order to avoid the 30% withholding taxes..it is for non-us residents. I had to fill some of them in the past so I would not pay it
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
Rosibal wrote: That form needs to be completed in order to avoid the 30% withholding taxes..it is for non-us residents. I had to fill some of them in the past so I would not pay it
But to get it to them within the 5 day window and then wait 8 - 10 weeks for the fulfillment house to deliver my prize...by email. i guess they were thinking no one in Canada would win...

"Please mail your completed W-8BEN within 5 calendar days to 3000 Town Center #2100, Southfield, MI 48075, USA. If you do not return your form within this timeframe, your prize will be forfeited."

In order to do so it will cost me $30 to expedite the form back to them within the 5 days allotment. This is unfair to Canadians since U.S. winners have no such requirement...
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
4265 posts
23520 upvotes
North York
DougO wrote: But to get it to them within the 5 day window and then wait 8 - 10 weeks for the fulfillment house to deliver my prize...by email. i guess they were thinking no one in Canada would win...

"Please mail your completed W-8BEN within 5 calendar days to 3000 Town Center #2100, Southfield, MI 48075, USA. If you do not return your form within this timeframe, your prize will be forfeited."

In order to do so it will cost me $30 to expedite the form back to them within the 5 days allotment. This is unfair to Canadians since U.S. winners have no such requirement...
Have you talked to them? I would email it to them and say that original will follow by mail. I didnt have a problem emailing the forms and it was not required to mail them.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
Rosibal wrote: Have you talked to them? I would email it to them and say that original will follow by mail. I didnt have a problem emailing the forms and it was not required to mail them.
It specifically states in their opening correspondence to NOT email the form. But I have sent an email to them, so we'll see what they say. But I checked the rules and it doesn't specifically state the form must be mailed, just received by them. Odd that the administrator's email says it must be mailed. I'd be pissed if I blow $30 to mail it to them only to have them disqualify me anyway...

Correspondence says this:

"For your security, please do not email your form."
Last edited by DougO on Feb 3rd, 2020 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
Customer care says it will take up to 3 days to reply to my query. Too late to claim the prize then if I don't send the form back today at 9am when the post office opens. Making it difficult for Canadians, no?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
Tried to phone them but voicemail for customer service results in the phone hanging up!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
Canada Post confirmed with me that they could not guarantee delivery within the allotted time. More like 5 days (Saturday). Going to try to contact them again but might just have to write this one off. I'll be giving the sponsors an earful if this can't be resolved...
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
44565 posts
44973 upvotes
Economy, NS
Volvotech wrote: Won a Cadbury Dairy Milk coupon in the Oreo What's Your Stuff Contest

2020-03-31-oreo-stuf-canada-whats-your- ... #p32035588

thanks stinastr for posting

Valeriey,

We're happy to let you know that our system identified you as a potential winner of an OREO Hat in the OREO What's Your Stuf - CANADA!
Don't take life too seriously.
No one gets out alive anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 30, 2016
7571 posts
3119 upvotes
Socks for me! Thanks stinastr for posting!
Aug 19, 2012
271 posts
458 upvotes
RICHMOND
I received notification this morning that I was the winner of Week 4 in this contest. I was actually surprised because Weeks 1 through 3 were all won by people in Quebec. The email and the original form were in French - fortunately they have since sent me an English one! Hopefully delivery will be stress-free!

2020-02-02-4-downs-ci-flamingo-all-ca-2345284/2/

Thanks to shoppingguy for posting and bojac for the codes!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
Just noticed that Helloworld is the contest administrator for both the Oreo and the Carhartt contests. Still no word from them and no ability to contact them by phone...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)