Wheels and Tires

Continental Winter Contact Si VS Pirelli Ice Zero Fr ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2018 10:37 pm
[OP]
Sep 15, 2010
23 posts
1 upvote

Continental Winter Contact Si VS Pirelli Ice Zero Fr ?

Hey, i'm trying to figure out what tires to buy for this winter. These will go on a kia rio5 2012, which will be driven in the montreal area, a mix of highway and streets. I drive roughly 15k km per year, so, perhaps maybe up to 50% of this would be on winter tires...? I'd like something decent but not too expensive and based on my research so far the 2 options i'm considering are:

CONTINENTAL WINTER CONTACT SI - 108$ each @ 4pneus.ca
and
PIRELLI WINTER ICE ZERO FR - 107$ each @ costco

Which of these 2 tires would you recommend? Both performance and durability are important (if one is going to last 3 season vs another that can last 4 season, that obviously has an impact in overall cost/year). Alternatively, I'm also open to other suggestions if you have better recommendations. My initial budget was 100$/tire but, 107-108 is close enough, i wouldn't want to go over this though.

Thanks!
17 replies
Oct 19, 2007
949 posts
133 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
I'm looking at the same tires and face the same dilemma. From what I gather they're both good tires the only thing unclear about the Pirellis is tread life. I think in the end I'll go with Continental, but would still love to hear what anyone has to say...
Aug 30, 2017
36 posts
15 upvotes
I've never used the Pirelli's but I have a set of the Conti's; used one season and approx. 30,000kms. They wear really well, lots of tread left on them and they grip like a mofo. I've used Blizzak WS70's and Nokian Hakka R2's in the past and I'd get the Conti's over both of them any day.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1730 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto & north …
starkickers wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 2:14 pm
I've never used the Pirelli's but I have a set of the Conti's; used one season and approx. 30,000kms. They wear really well, lots of tread left on them and they grip like a mofo. I've used Blizzak WS70's and Nokian Hakka R2's in the past and I'd get the Conti's over both of them any day.
On what vehicle and what region? Thanks.
Aug 30, 2017
36 posts
15 upvotes
On a Forester and I typically travel between Northern/Southern Ontario and Montreal
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1730 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto & north …
starkickers wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 7:51 pm
On a Forester and I typically travel between Northern/Southern Ontario and Montreal
Thanks, that's a solid sounding endorsement of the WinterContact SI.
Aug 30, 2017
36 posts
15 upvotes
It really is a great tire. I used to be a big fan of Nokians; I had Hakka 1's and I swear I could climb trees with them but I had them for many many years. I used WS70's and they were good for only one season based on my mileage; pushing them for a second season was not safe. The Nokian Hakka R2's were good, but wore really quickly; I put on 5,000kms in the span of a 2 weeks and they lost 2/16th tread.

With the Conti's i've put on probably close to 30,000kms on them and i'm lost a little less than 2/16th of their original tread. Mind you I drive hard (jack rabbit starts and I brake hard) and mainly on highways.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1730 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto & north …
Rasta_Cook wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 5:54 pm
CONTINENTAL WINTER CONTACT SI - 108$ each @ 4pneus.ca
and
PIRELLI WINTER ICE ZERO FR - 107$ each @ costco
OP, I just happen to have a week old pic of your two candidates!

Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
3377 posts
33 upvotes
Milton
I have both on 2 different cars.

The Continental is on a compact SUV. It feels harder than the Pirelli but is more durable.

The Pirelli is on a sedan, and it has more feedback, grip and a tad more performance on ice.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8234 posts
864 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
CONTINENTAL WINTER CONTACT SI

got them last year on my car & they are great. They are supposed to be slightly better then the Blizzaks
0_o
<_<
>_>
Sep 13, 2008
669 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
evanx wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 10:51 pm
I have both on 2 different cars.

The Continental is on a compact SUV. It feels harder than the Pirelli but is more durable.

The Pirelli is on a sedan, and it has more feedback, grip and a tad more performance on ice.
I'm in the exact same situation. This is the first season for both sets...so I don't have any experience with them in the snow yet. First impression is that the Pirellis are noticeably quieter.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9675 posts
1291 upvotes
Toronto
After doing some research, the continental seemed to be optimal choice (performance, longevity, price) which is why I just got em for my wife's 09 RAV4.

I'm in Scarbs so extreme performance is not necessary.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1450 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto, ON
After comparing and researching, I got pirelli for my CR- V
Nov 4, 2013
73 posts
15 upvotes
North York, ON
Posting my own anecdotal experience/research...

Despite similar pricing, went with continentals wintercontact for both Lexus RX350 F Sport and Mini Cooper 5 DR
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2197 posts
573 upvotes
GTA
The tread pattern suggests the Pirelli would be better in deeper snow and slush as it has a little more void area than the Conti, but it also looks like it has more siping than the Conti too.... so it probably comes down to tread compound more than anything (like usual...)