Continue on or head for the exit?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2017 9:31 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 2, 2017
3 posts

Continue on or head for the exit?

Currently I am working at a company as an assistant manager. The job was created for me as the current manager should be retiring within a couple years. The job requires an MBA and I am currently working towards that as a part-time student. The company is paying for my MBA.

As a new position at this company; I have no job duties. I haven't had work for 6 months. I sit in-front of my computer watching the news or dealing with personal finance things. The current manager advises me to study at work. I am literally getting paid to study.

My problem is that I would like to be valuable in the company I work and would like to know that I made a difference to the bottom line.

If I stay at this job; I am guaranteed a high salary in a few years. If I leave this job; I will have probably find a job that pays significantly less and would have to pay for the MBA myself. Shall I continue doing nothing with the hopes that she will retire soon or shall I explore new opportunities and feel valuable?
Last edited by AveragePJ on Feb 3rd, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
6 replies
Dec 18, 2013
12 posts
19 upvotes
Winnipeg
Walk right up to your boss this minute and tell him or her to shove it and explore other opportunities unless they can meet your demands. Cant believe they only gave you one assistant to help you get your work done while there paying you to surf the net while you complete your company funded education. Demand an imported company car and a signing bonus just to let them know your serious.
Jun 25, 2011
336 posts
114 upvotes
Alberta
AveragePJ wrote: Currently I am working at a company as an assistant manager. The job was created for me as the current manager should be retiring within a couple years. The job requires an MBA and I am currently working towards that as a part-time student. The company is paying for my MBA.

As a new position at this company; I have no job duties. I haven't had work for 6 months. I sit in-front of my computer watching the news or dealing with personal finance things.
The current manager advises me to study at work. I am literally getting paid to study. They hired an assistant to "help" me with my duties. All we do is sit and talk. HR gave me a significant raise and promises significant raises till my completion of my MBA. I am currently in my mid 20s. The current manager has previously stated that she plans on working till she cannot.

If I stay at this job; I am guaranteed a salary of 100+k in a few years. If I leave this job; I will have probably find a job that pays significantly less and would have to pay for the MBA myself. Shall I continue doing nothing with the hopes that she will retire soon or shall I explore new opportunities?
Tell me what you got that rest of us don't to get a horrible job like that.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18910 posts
3566 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
AveragePJ wrote: Currently I am working at a company as an assistant manager. The job was created for me as the current manager should be retiring within a couple years. The job requires an MBA and I am currently working towards that as a part-time student. The company is paying for my MBA.

As a new position at this company; I have no job duties. I haven't had work for 6 months. I sit in-front of my computer watching the news or dealing with personal finance things.
The current manager advises me to study at work. I am literally getting paid to study. They hired an assistant to "help" me with my duties. All we do is sit and talk. HR gave me a significant raise and promises significant raises till my completion of my MBA. I am currently in my mid 20s. The current manager has previously stated that she plans on working till she cannot.

If I stay at this job; I am guaranteed a salary of 100+k in a few years. If I leave this job; I will have probably find a job that pays significantly less and would have to pay for the MBA myself. Shall I continue doing nothing with the hopes that she will retire soon or shall I explore new opportunities?
So are you working for the TTC or for Toronto's Parks, Forestry & Recreation department?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5584 posts
950 upvotes
Toronto
Hmmm....tough one. What's your vacations like? If your only getting an abysmal 4 weeks I'd say tell em to stick it.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4831 posts
1938 upvotes
Thread is useless without pics of assistant.

Also, you admit to making less than $100K today, how did you find out about RFD?

Did your current manager not learn to clear browser history when they gave you their computer?

I am physically shaking out of fear that you will rob me after eating expensive (for you) Kraft Dinner.

RFD isn't doing its best to keep the clientele to a minimum $100K standard. Perhaps its time to realize that RFD is on the decline.