Which contract to chose?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2018 8:54 pm
Tags:
Feb 4, 2018
5 posts

Which contract to chose?

I have got two offers:
1) 4-5 months, better pay, shorter driving, no extension, easier work, better support and working with other techs
2) 8 months, lesser pay, longer driving (about 15-20 minutes more), yearly renewable), newer work, minimal support as I would be the only tech covering the whole facility

I am inclined towards 1) since I have done similar work and there will be more people I could reach out to. But is ends in summer when I can generally never find a new job. I am generally a quick and good learner but since I would be the only person working and would be on call too, I am afraid about getting fired if something did not work out. Any suggestions?
Last edited by goldrate on Feb 5th, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
May 24, 2007
552 posts
213 upvotes
2) for growth.

That’s just me tho. I don’t have a family and my fixed costs are kept low.
Feb 4, 2018
5 posts
I do agree that #2 is better careerwise. However, I am scared about getting fired if I did not meet so called expectations since I will be the one man show. The only other person involved would be my boss located in a different city.

We had a person brought in for a 2-3 week training on my previous job from a different city. The company just loved that new hire. But that person quit within a month due to no local support in their office after they started working in their home city. I find one man show quite challenging.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2166 posts
710 upvotes
#2.

Unless the work environment is absolutely toxic, you always pick job security over any other factors. What are you gonna do when contract#1 runs out after 8 months? God knows how long you will be out of a job for before you land on something again. You can always learn to adapt to the work environment for job#2, who knows, you might enjoy it. A one man show has its advantages. Besides even if you end up hating it, you can always keep job hunting while on the job.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1883 posts
4598 upvotes
FHill
Is the net income for the entire duration of 1. higher than 2.? You mentioned it ends sooner so are you looking for purely $?
2. Will help build your skills if that’s what you are looking to improve (time management, working autonomously, etc)

Btw no job is immune to layoffs
Feb 4, 2018
5 posts
The difference is $6 per hour. The first one is only 5 month contract and they don't know if that would be extended so very low possiblity. The second one is initially 8 months long and will be renewed on yearly basis for sure as long as they are ok they my performance. So clearly the second one is secure but the only problem is that I have never done a one man show before and there is not any support available. They would just let me go meaning my contract may end up even before if I chose option #1. I know for sure that I would do good or at least be able to finish it if I go with #1.
Last edited by goldrate on Feb 6th, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I would go with #2. I say that as the only person who does my job in every place I've worked for the past 18 years though lol. I like that autonomy. I just think there is more potential with #2 from what you've written.
Sep 30, 2012
104 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Without a doubt #2, you find other opportunities with better pay during your stay there, also show ur values or learn new things since u r the only one
Feb 4, 2018
5 posts
How do you learn on your own when there is no other employee or guidance? You can study on your own and get certifications/courses but it is very different when you are stuck on job and there is no real help available. I find handling people in real life varies as each person is very different. Some could be nicer whereas others may rush to escalate things and that may create a problem.

Maybe I am thinking too much but I can't really ignore the fact that I do have an easy way out which is the shorter contract. It really feels that it sucks to be me right now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Are you underqualified for the job (#2)? If not, I don't really understand this big fear about lack of guidance/help.
Dec 28, 2017
404 posts
180 upvotes
Burlington
#2 for sure
15-20mins travel is very little.. been travelling for over 1hr minimum per trip for 8 years.. 15-20mins is seamless
minimal support is actually a good thing if you are self-motivated and qualified worker. Your boss will realize that you are a shining star quickly as you demonstrate your ability to work and think independently (hence saving the company's time to train you).
Contracts isn't the best.. but hopefully you get converted to full time and grow from there.

many years ago i had an option of same position, higher pay better benefit at one company vs. new field 1 year contract lower pay but a field that i enjoy and wish to get into. .. i chose the latter and now i am a senior position with much better future than the first option.

It's all on your ability... pay is only temporary for a year.. growth is lifetime.
Feb 4, 2018
5 posts
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I have accepted #2. I guess I could give it a try.

I don't apply for jobs if I don't meet the requirements. My concern was due to the uncertainty factor since every place is different. I once quit a job where there were only two people working. I was doing well but my co-worker was always lagging. I was always heavily over-loaded for doing most of his work and my own work. He knew the company owner personally so manager could not fire him. The problem was whenever something went south ways it was always MY fault and there was no praise for jobs well done. I got out before losing my patience.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)