Tags:
None
Nov 25, 2007
96 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Contractor adding charges to Final Invoice

Hello

My contractor just finished a backyard renovation project that was supposed to take 3 weeks but ended up taking 5 and a half months.

I got the final invoice today and there was an additional charge of $5,000 to manually excavate a retaining wall, compact ground and to remove and replace clay soil.

Part of the original scope of work that was included on the original estimate was to remove retailing wall and excavate 4ft of soil from the perimeter of the property.

This additional work was never discussed with us during the job and we were totally caught off guard.

Is this additional charge warranted?

Additionally, also included in the estimate was to replace a deck. He did in fact remove the deck, lay the footing and partially complete the structure of the deck. But due to the all the delays (almost 5 months) I told him I would finish the deck and buy the remaining materials. So I completed the deck "blocking", purchased and installed the composite deck boards, the glass aluminum railings, the privacy wall and the deck stairs. The original quote for the deck was $8,000 and he now wants $4,500 (a reduction of $3,500). I spent a great deal more than $3,500 on the finish materials plus about 6 full weekends working on the deck.

What would a reasonable amount to pay him for partially completing the 10 by 25 deck?

Thanks
18 replies
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
199 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
What is written ? How does your contract read for extras and deletions ?
Nov 25, 2007
96 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
There was no contract just an initial estimate that does not discuss extras and deletions.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6145 posts
2957 upvotes
Kanata
Did you sign anything before? There's no way you started this big project without having signed anything
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
199 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
lshapiro wrote: There was no contract just an initial estimate that does not discuss extras and deletions.
I guess that you will have to pay your bills to avoid getting a construction lien on your house .
Nov 25, 2007
96 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I am more than happy to pay my bills. But not prepared to pay for work that was not completed. There is a lot of work that was quoted but not completed.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
581 upvotes
Without a written contract you're going to have issues - I'd suggest trying to reason with him with an offer, otherwise start preparing for small claims court (which will not be the easiest thing, with no contract)
Nov 25, 2007
96 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Doesn't a written estimate constitute a contract once the work has started?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
4111 posts
861 upvotes
Mississauga
Does the estimate state its final and not within a margin for error?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You need everything on paper. Especially with contractors, shady as hell.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
The 5K additional charge for work that was included in the original estimate sounds completely off the wall to me. I wouldn't pay it. I also wouldn't pay for a deck that they didn't install. Take your own costs (plus figure in something for your time spent) off of the amount they were going to charge you for the deck portion. I think you might have a battle on your hands. Good luck with it all.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1397 upvotes
Ancaster
matdwyer wrote: Without a written contract you're going to have issues - I'd suggest trying to reason with him with an offer, otherwise start preparing for small claims court (which will not be the easiest thing, with no contract)
+1...if he's a reputable contractor, he'll want to resolve this to your satisfaction & not have you bad mouthing him all over the internet.

I would talk to him about your issues with the work & the invoice.

If he's shady, he won't care......talking probably won't accomplish anything.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Also, I'm just curious why there were 5 months of delays? Was it because if him? That seems a long time (I know there are often some delays but 5 months seems excessive).
Nov 25, 2007
96 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
The delays were 80% because of him. Initally, when he started he was delayed a week because of rain (which is fair). Then his whole crew quit and he was working by himself every other day. Then he hired another crew but fired them two weeks later. At this point I believe he was behind on serveral other jobs so he would work partial days at my job and partial days at another job.

The whole thing just dragged and dragged.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1251 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lshapiro wrote: The delays were 80% because of him. Initally, when he started he was delayed a week because of rain (which is fair). Then his whole crew quit and he was working by himself every other day. Then he hired another crew but fired them two weeks later. At this point I believe he was behind on serveral other jobs so he would work partial days at my job and partial days at another job.

The whole thing just dragged and dragged.
Could you have cut ties with him when all the delays were happening? 5 months from 3 weeks is way too long.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
lshapiro wrote: Additionally, also included in the estimate was to replace a deck. He did in fact remove the deck, lay the footing and partially complete the structure of the deck. But due to the all the delays (almost 5 months) I told him I would finish the deck and buy the remaining materials. So I completed the deck "blocking", purchased and installed the composite deck boards, the glass aluminum railings, the privacy wall and the deck stairs. The original quote for the deck was $8,000 and he now wants $4,500 (a reduction of $3,500). I spent a great deal more than $3,500 on the finish materials plus about 6 full weekends working on the deck.

What would a reasonable amount to pay him for partially completing the 10 by 25 deck?

Thanks
You would receive quotes around 2-3 grand in Toronto to auger post holes, pour 10-12" cement sonotubes, frame deck and supply materials....he seems about 1500 (possibly 2500) too high for that part of the job, including disposing of the old deck. You could easily get quotes to prove that price by emailing contractors simply asking for an estimate.
Nov 25, 2007
96 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Zamboni wrote: You would receive quotes around 2-3 grand in Toronto to auger post holes, pour 10-12" cement sonotubes, frame deck and supply materials....he seems about 1500 (possibly 2500) too high for that part of the job, including disposing of the old deck. You could easily get quotes to prove that price by emailing contractors simply asking for an estimate.
Also keep in mind that he had to get an auger to did holes for approximatly 100ft of fence that we had replaced. And he brought in a cement truck to pour 20 x 20 concrete pad, the fence posts and the deck posts. So the 5 posts for the deck would have been marginal at best. I am not disputing the amount he quoted for the fence or contrete pad which were over and above the deck.
Nov 25, 2007
96 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
milhouse611 wrote: Could you have cut ties with him when all the delays were happening? 5 months from 3 weeks is way too long.
We did bring in another contractor to take over the job after 8 weeks but they couldn't start the job for over a month. So at that point we assumed that he would finish within that time.