• Oct 15th, 2018 6:13 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 12, 2016
223 posts
35 upvotes

Contractors - T1 or T4?

Hello folks.

Those of you who are contractors or have experience of contracting through incorporated companies, how do/did you pay yourselves. Do you prefer a salary or dividend? I know with the latter you don't have to pay CPP. But generally speaking, which one works out better in terms of tax savings?

I am specifically interested in finding out views of people who often switch between "full-time" and contracting.

Thanks.
3 replies
Mar 6, 2015
115 posts
48 upvotes
In short, the Canadian tax system is designed so an individual should be indifferent between earning income through a Canadian corporation by salary or dividend. This is essentially the concept of integration. There's plenty of information you can read online about it, a google search will guide you.

There are other points to consider when deciding on how to pay yourself. For example, taking a salary increases your RRSP contribution room, whereas a dividend does not. But if it's pure tax minimization, you should be indifferent between taking salaries or dividends.
Feb 14, 2009
990 posts
330 upvotes
Limited7 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:58 am
Hello folks.

Those of you who are contractors or have experience of contracting through incorporated companies, how do/did you pay yourselves. Do you prefer a salary or dividend? I know with the latter you don't have to pay CPP. But generally speaking, which one works out better in terms of tax savings?

I am specifically interested in finding out views of people who often switch between "full-time" and contracting.

Thanks.
MTLCPA already provided main answer --- in most cases it will be the same.
But in every concrete situation there are many considerations.

Lets talk simple semi-qualitative mathematics:
Salary: On business side -- (relatively) minor contributions
On personal side, taxes (and contributions) go progressively from zero to >50%
Dividends: average flat tax on business side and average progressive tax on personal side.
If we plug in realistic (still very approximate) marginal tax values, then:

1. first 15K. It is better goes salary way-- almost zero tax on personal and business sides.
2. second 15K : 20% salary tax vs. 15% business dividends tax plus 10% personal dividends tax -- still salary better
3. next 20K: 30% salary tax vs. 15% business + 20% personal dividends tax -- still salary better
4. next 50K: 45% salary tax vs 15% business + 25% personal dividends tax -- now dividends look better

Calculation above depend on province tax rates, family situation, business type , etc, etc.

On top of all exact mathematics that has to be done separately in each case,
there are several other consideration: RRSP and pension contributions,
salary is good for getting mortgage but dividends not, salary can help to
get preferable SMB status, etc....

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1639 posts
631 upvotes
Kitchener
Limited7 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:58 am
Hello folks.

Thanks.
It's starting to become a 'depends' issue. I do some side-work and I've started to receive T4-A's. It's marked as "other income", and that's my self-employment part. I believe it was legislated in not too long ago (like for the 2016 tax year), this was the current government that did this.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)