Conventional vent hot water heater options

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2018 9:43 pm
[OP]
Mar 15, 2005
348 posts
94 upvotes

Conventional vent hot water heater options

just moved and even tho my Enercare rental is only $9 a month, I'm going to replace the almost 20 year old 40 gallon direct vent unit with a 50 gallon direct vent replacement. The current unit runs out of hot water half way through filling a bath tub.

I replaced the unit at my last home with a whirlpool through lowes, but from what I've heard whirlpool is garbage, so unless I hear otherwise I think im going to stay away.

My options are :
Rheem through home depot (reviews are lackluster)
Giant through rona
Gsw through home hardware

Thoughts/opinions? Would you guys recommend getting it installed through these stores or go with a 3rd party?

Thanks!
Last edited by discoblues on May 17th, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7428 posts
5720 upvotes
Oakville
I think you mean natural vent, right? Most rentals are natural or power vented.

Direct vent doesn't use interior air and is less common and looks like this. I'm actually looking for a direct vent unit myself.
[OP]
Mar 15, 2005
348 posts
94 upvotes
engineered wrote:
May 17th, 2018 10:50 pm
I think you mean natural vent, right? Most rentals are natural or power vented.
Your totally right. In looking for a conventional heater as mine exhausts up to a chimney. That being said what is best between rheem, giant, and gsw?
Apr 6, 2008
569 posts
223 upvotes
For what it's worth...I used to work at GSW/we used to make the Whirlpool ones as well.

Rheem - made in Mexico poor quality
Giant - made in Quebec (I have this in my house currently)
GSW/Whirlpool - USA made by AO Smith
May 18, 2018
2 posts
I've installed all 3 brands for customers, and all do the trick. If I had to narrow it down for you I would go with the Giant or GSW. They have usually been good with replacement parts.

Curious why you are choosing to stay conventional and not upgrade to a power vent?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30579 posts
5496 upvotes
Ottawa
monz13 wrote:
May 19th, 2018 9:53 pm
I've installed all 3 brands for customers, and all do the trick. If I had to narrow it down for you I would go with the Giant or GSW. They have usually been good with replacement parts.

Curious why you are choosing to stay conventional and not upgrade to a power vent?
I replaced mine as well and stayed with conventional vent. Primarily because there was problems with ventor motor failures at the time and regular power outages in my area. The ventor motor failures seemed to be as a result or connected to the power outages.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)