Convert a CRT TV to a Smart TV

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2012 2:10 pm
Dec 1, 2011
177 posts
74 upvotes
DARTMOUTH

Convert a CRT TV to a Smart TV

First I want to say thanks for your time in reading this post and that I don't expect to get more information out of this thread than what I have but it's worth the shot.

My parents always rented movies when Blockbuster was around here (Canada, Nova Scotia), I'm talking about 2-3 a week at it's high points. Since they left my parents have been without content to watch new movies that they could rent. Netflix was the first thought but all the content for Canada and the US isn't really new on a daily basis, it's a no go. Finally the holy grail of choices called CinemaNow came around and it provides individual rental fees and has some of the newest blockbuster titles as well as two-bit straight-to-dvd releases (which they like). This is where we run into our issue.

My parent's mainly watch these movies on a CRT TV. Although they do have one smaller LCD flatscreen on the other end of the house they rarely used it for movies. The issue a CRT TV poses is that the connections have to be component or composite or the conversion process to access CinemaNow.

We were hoping to get something around the $100 price point. Currently my only option is a smart blu ray player but it sort of seems like a waste if they only want the one feature and they would have to unplug all the wires to move it to a different TV (in the event they wanted to use it somewhere else).

We tried and researched and found WD Live TV to be the only one with component/composite connections but came to find out CinemaNow on it is US only. Changed DNS to show we are in the US and it gave us access to a buggy app that closed when videos played and you can't stream from the app, only play downloaded content on the PC (defeats the entire purpose).

So I guess what I'm looking for help with is if there are any possibilities I haven't explored yet. Are there smart boxes I'm unware of that possess these qualities and hold the same price point? Can you get HDMI-to-RCA converter boxes for cheaper than $40?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any input.
26 replies
Jun 17, 2004
205 posts
23 upvotes
Burlington
Try a classic Xbox with XBMC.
I think also the Xbox360s are getting pretty cheap around the holidays.
RFD - You gotta spend money to make money :)
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
valen wrote: Try a classic Xbox with XBMC.
I think also the Xbox360s are getting pretty cheap around the holidays.
OP wants a paid subscription service. Not sure how XBMC could provide that.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
My 2-year-old Samsung Blu-Ray player offers CinemaNow (Canada) as well as Netflix, and it has composite and component output. It cost me $60 new, and it has been on sale since for as little as $35. Unfortunately in 2012 all new Blu-Ray players were required to get rid of analog outputs in the continuing attempt to close the analog hole. But you might still be lucky enough to find a 2011 model somewhere.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2237 posts
143 upvotes
right on... forgot about that... then spend the extra on a mini USB keyboard mouse combo, and SD card to install your OS ;)
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
loserga wrote: OP will have to teach parents to use Linux.
you don't need to know linux with raspbmc. all you need to is download the installer and install it to sd card.It has auto update and nightlies and more in the raspbmc app available in the gui. Updating nightlies keeps all your settings except of course when a new rc is pushed. 2 sd cards make it nice and friendly to go try out latest while always having a working version.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2237 posts
143 upvotes
You can still use gnome or some other UI and just install whatever browser you want... done.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
mcplar wrote: You can still use gnome or some other UI and just install whatever browser you want... done.
no adobe flash i believe has support. but ics is coming.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
How do you access cinema now? Is it just accessed through browser like netflix? If that is the case you could get a old laptop with a S-Video connector for under $100.

Alternatively you could also get a laptop with VGA and use a VGA to component cable.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
CinemaNow (Canada): http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/ci ... manow.aspx

If you're ok with paying $4.99 for a single viewing of a current movie.

Alternative: Shaw's in-house Video-on-demand for customers of Shaw cable or Shaw Direct satellite. Similar pricing.

Vudu and Amazon VOD are probably better, but not available in Canada.
Dec 14, 2006
267 posts
78 upvotes
Windsor, ON
If your TV has a component input, don't use composite. Component will offer much better quality.
Dec 1, 2011
177 posts
74 upvotes
DARTMOUTH
I have seen zip.ca before and I'm not sure if my parents would want to go through the hassle of mailing them back in every time but if I don't find another option it may be one I extend to them to see.
JamesA1 wrote: My 2-year-old Samsung Blu-Ray player offers CinemaNow (Canada) as well as Netflix, and it has composite and component output. It cost me $60 new, and it has been on sale since for as little as $35. Unfortunately in 2012 all new Blu-Ray players were required to get rid of analog outputs in the continuing attempt to close the analog hole. But you might still be lucky enough to find a 2011 model somewhere.
Any possibility you could give me the model number of this player? I will scrounge around on our classifieds and have a look. Don't think any of our regular sellers here will have anything but the newest though as they are all big box stores.
mcplar wrote: Get a Raspberry Pi ($35ish) then one of these - http://www.amazon.ca/eForCity-HDMI-RCA- ... B002WBOQPU

Hit's your price point.
This is actually my first time hearing about Raspberry Pi and so I had a little look over their website and the thread currently ongoing here. While the device seems like a great price and is actually personally interesting to me and potentially future work I don't see any wifi capabilities off the base models. I imagine I would probably have to go through a bit of work in order to get a dongle working. CinemaNow streams with flash and I see that it currently isn't supported. Not sure if CinemaNow streams through Flash in the other apps however.
fatestkid wrote: How do you access cinema now? Is it just accessed through browser like netflix? If that is the case you could get a old laptop with a S-Video connector for under $100.

Alternatively you could also get a laptop with VGA and use a VGA to component cable.
CinemaNow is accessed via web browser or through apps just as netflix is. The computer method would work but I think I would probably have more trouble finding them a laptop for the price and it seems a bit overkill (At least for sizing in their entertainment area). Not disregarding this idea however.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Stryker14 wrote: Any possibility you could give me the model number of this player? I will scrounge around on our classifieds and have a look. Don't think any of our regular sellers here will have anything but the newest though as they are all big box stores.
Mine's a BD-C5500, but the entire model line is compatible for your purposes. In Samsung terminology BD = Blu-Ray Player, C = model year 2010 (D = 2011, E = 2012...), 5500 is a mid-range model between 5100 (low end) and 6900 (high end).
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
Apple TV plus converter box. IMO that's the simplest solution even though I would usually never recommend a Apple TV.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24228 posts
43256 upvotes
ONTARIO
Stryker14 wrote:
We tried and researched and found WD Live TV to be the only one with component/composite connections but came to find out CinemaNow on it is US only. Changed DNS to show we are in the US and it gave us access to a buggy app that closed when videos played and you can't stream from the app, only play downloaded content on the PC (defeats the entire purpose).

Thanks guys, I appreciate any input.
VUDU is a good movie rental service like CinemaNow. It's owned and operated by Walmart. Thing is, just like CinemaNow, it's US only. So you'd have to use a US DNS or a VPN to access it. Is it available on the WD Live?

I own a Boxee Box which has a VUDU app and I find the service great. I use a US DNS to purchase and watch the movies. Plus when you first register using the box, they give you a $5 credit which is basically a free new release rental.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
BobSagget wrote: Thing is, just like CinemaNow, it's US only.
Actually CinemaNow became available in Canada last year. Not sure how the selection compares to the U.S..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)