[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10895 posts
2221 upvotes
Kingston

Convert hotel reward points to Aeroplan miles - get 20% extra

Details here.

Earn up to an extra 5,000 Aeroplan miles per hotel. Note that the "normal" conversion rates from each hotel point plan to Aeroplan miles applies.

To take advantage of this incredible offer...

First, register your Aeroplan Number above.

Next, visit the hotel loyalty programs online below to check your point balance and convert hotel loyalty program points into Aeroplan Miles.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts - Starwood Preferred Guest®
Best Western International® - Best Western Rewards®
Marriott® International - Marriott Rewards®
Hilton Worldwide® - Hilton HHonors®
InterContinental® Hotels Group - Priority Club® Rewards
Accor Hotels and Resorts - A|Club
CarlsonSM Hotels Worldwide - Club CarlsonSM
Choice Hotels International® - Choice Privileges®
Coast Hotels & Resorts – Coast Rewards
Hyatt Hotels & Resorts® - Hyatt Gold Passport™
Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts – Golden Circle
Wyndham Worldwide - Wyndham Rewards®
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
Is this worth it? I have a bunch of SPG points and I think the conversion is 1:1. I wonder which program has a higher value of a single point.
Feb 15, 2006
15 posts
This is cold deal.. !! I would rather convert my Aeroplan miles to some hotel programs i.e. SPG or other hotel and get less miles. Aeroplan miles are useless.. they bumped up the Elite mileage and now every flight is double the aeroplan miles i.e. to fly from toronto to Vancouver.. it used to take 25000 and now it takes 50,000 miles.

Not to mention, you loose the aeroplan miles in 7 years if you don't use it... even if you have accumulate miles... there is an expiry of the miles if you don't use it.

I know you can convert aeroplan miles to other hotel programs from points.com but they charge you a lot.
Mar 13, 2005
640 posts
240 upvotes
coolshyguy wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2011 12:40 pm
This is cold deal.. !! I would rather convert my Aeroplan miles to some hotel programs i.e. SPG or other hotel and get less miles. Aeroplan miles are useless.. they bumped up the Elite mileage and now every flight is double the aeroplan miles i.e. to fly from toronto to Vancouver.. it used to take 25000 and now it takes 50,000 miles.

Not to mention, you loose the aeroplan miles in 7 years if you don't use it... even if you have accumulate miles... there is an expiry of the miles if you don't use it.

I know you can convert aeroplan miles to other hotel programs from points.com but they charge you a lot.

North American economy flights are still 25,000pts. Executive First tickets went from 40,000 - 50,000. I still find quite a value in Aeroplan, as we haven't had to "pay" for a ticket to MCO in 6 years using Aeroplan.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10895 posts
2221 upvotes
Kingston
porphyra wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2011 10:13 am
Is this worth it? I have a bunch of SPG points and I think the conversion is 1:1. I wonder which program has a higher value of a single point.

If you convert 20K SPG points you would get a 5K bonus from SPG (normal deal) and 5K from Aeroplan, netting 30K points.

SPG points are worth more because you can do more with them and transfer them to Aeroplan any time.
Jun 1, 2007
115 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
Like coolshyguy I agree that the deal is cold. In addition to coolshyguy's comments, I will also add that even in low season and booking months ahead, you are lucky if you can get an economy seat, let alone a business class seat. The Aeroplan program is not longer an attractive proposition to collect points.
Feb 15, 2006
15 posts
Agreed North America flights are 25000 but talk about the taxes you pay on the flights to North America + limited seats availability.

Example: If you book a flight using Aeroplan miles.. you would have to pay taxes.. most of the flights you can find are unfortunately 1 to 2 stops flights and you would have to pay airport taxes + fees of all these stops.

international return Flights from Toronto to London 70,000 miles is 2 stops flight and you would have to pay over $200 bucks in taxes.

Only positive thing is if you get a flight originating from US you would pay less taxes around $120 bucks in taxes.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10895 posts
2221 upvotes
Kingston
coolshyguy wrote:

Aeroplan points are what they are. The point values and tax issues are pretty well known. But if you do have some miscellaneous hotel points from other programs this can be a good opportunity to consolidate in one program.
You can book a flight through SPG points but it is a LOT more points in exchange for being less restrictive.

Many people do get value out of Aeroplan points, but you obviously have a pretty big dislike for Aeroplan (RFD member for 5.5 years, 14 posts total, 2 dissing Aeroplan in this thread)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5837 posts
512 upvotes
Kanata
I wish I applied the SPG card when they have the 20000 SPG point welcome bonus, that means 30000 Aeroplan miles bonus if in time for this promotion!
Aug 17, 2011
25 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
I guess someone might find value to Aeroplan but I am not crazy about it either, I agree with the high fees and the stops you will have to accept unless you book your seat well in advance might have better luck to get a direct flight. Also, more miles is required especially for one way ticket compared to other North American frequent flyer programs. my 2 cents.
May 12, 2006
889 posts
11 upvotes
JWL wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2011 1:50 pm
Aeroplan points are what they are. The point values and tax issues are pretty well known. But if you do have some miscellaneous hotel points from other programs this can be a good opportunity to consolidate in one program.

Good idea! Thanks JWL.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5116 posts
571 upvotes
in a plane
coolshyguy wrote:

This is quite false. Elite mileage requirements have not changed. You're talking about REDEEMING mileage - and yeah it changed for business / first class, but economy within Canada (within North America, in fact) is unchanged. Please check your facts. We're all pissed that J/F mileage reqs went up, but let's not over-blow the situation :P
jdaking wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2011 2:20 pm
I guess someone might find value to Aeroplan but I am not crazy about it either, I agree with the high fees and the stops you will have to accept unless you book your seat well in advance might have better luck to get a direct flight. Also, more miles is required especially for one way ticket compared to other North American frequent flyer programs. my 2 cents.

The Air Canada surcharges are absolutely insane. You have to be careful how you route... you must, at all costs, avoid AC metal and redeem through Aeroplan on other airlines. Consider the following shameless theft: a more-or-less direct routing, NRT-YYZ-YUL, costs $760, in business class. But routing around the world, in first class, with stopovers in Zurich, Hong Kong and Bangkok (with all the benefits of first class lounges and stuff), with the final leg flying into YUL either on Lufthansa from Munich, or through the USA, costs $260. Go figure?

It is true, though, that you have to be willing to a) stop a lot and b) take indirect flights to get to your destination, OR to be willing to pay the $90 change fee for better routings. If you're OK with that, then Aeroplan still, sadly, presents the best value out of all frequent flier rewards considering we're in Canada (if we were south of the border, it would be a totally different conversation).
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5116 posts
571 upvotes
in a plane
Actually..... this is hot if you have AMEX Membership Rewards points, as you can convert them to SPG and then convert them to Aeroplan, instead of directly. Woot!
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
3854 posts
373 upvotes
Repost... I posted this in the Freebie section A week ago bcoz it's technically not a deal (nothing to buy, just converting points...)
Jan 10, 2006
25 posts
4 upvotes
Pseudo Nim wrote:
Aug 30th, 2011 12:09 pm
Actually..... this is hot if you have AMEX Membership Rewards points, as you can convert them to SPG and then convert them to Aeroplan, instead of directly. Woot!

I tried this.
Found out that 1000 AMEX points = 500 SPG :(