[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3442 posts
286 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake

Convert scanned PDF to searchable text?

Hi all,

I have a bunch of scanned PDFs I want to be able to convert to searchable documents/editable text. Is there a free/easy way to do this? I know the Pro version of Adobe Acrobat allows you to do this, but that is quite expensive.

Thank you
24 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3107 posts
492 upvotes
GTA
You could try the Google Drive method. If you upload the PDFs to Drive and then convert them to Docs compatible, they become searchable.

I don't remember the exact method but it was something along those lines
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3442 posts
286 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Dave98 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 2:17 pm
You could try the Google Drive method. If you upload the PDFs to Drive and then convert them to Docs compatible, they become searchable.

That worked. Thanks. I'll keep trying this and see how it works.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7454 posts
2403 upvotes
ON
Did you do the scanning?
Often scanner software includes OCR, you'd just need to select that when scanning the documents.

I believe you can also import into OneNote and it will do OCR on it. OneNote should be included in the latest version of windows 10.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3442 posts
286 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
aqnd wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 3:11 pm
Did you do the scanning?
Often scanner software includes OCR, you'd just need to select that when scanning the documents.

I believe you can also import into OneNote and it will do OCR on it. OneNote should be included in the latest version of windows 10.
Nope, didn't do the scanning, unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1857 posts
679 upvotes
Dave98 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 2:17 pm

This the most convenient way for students in schools where homework are all on Drive. My daughters do that all the times. it works with images too.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3082 posts
492 upvotes
Vancouver
I drag and drop PDF's every day into EVERNOTE (Premium paid version). It then indexes every word and I can search these later. I have several hundred PDF's with a total of about 3000 notes and searching is near instantaneous.

I can access these on my laptop, desktop, tablet, and phone.

Another feature of EVERNOTE Premium is to clip articles from online magazines and newspapers. These also become fully searchable.

Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4171 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Typhoonz wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 2:08 pm
Hi all,

I have a bunch of scanned PDFs I want to be able to convert to searchable documents/editable text. Is there a free/easy way to do this? I know the Pro version of Adobe Acrobat allows you to do this, but that is quite expensive.

Thank you
I assume the PDF are all properly scanned ( lines perfectly horizontal).
Use Ubuntu or Linuxmint (built in) viewer to open the PDF. Select the text on the PDF and copy/paste to OpenOffice (free Word substitute from Oracle). Job done.
If you are not sure what I am talking about, just get a disk of Ubuntu or Linuxmint, boot it up afresh, and run (not install) the operating system on the disk. That is it.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1857 posts
679 upvotes
mystery wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 1:12 am
Word 2016 can import PDFs to editable documents.
Really? these are scanned PDFs (read the thread's title), i.e. images!!! Are you claiming that Word-2016 can import images for text editing?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1857 posts
679 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 4:23 am
I assume the PDF are all properly scanned ( lines perfectly horizontal).
Use Ubuntu or Linuxmint (built in) viewer to open the PDF. Select the text on the PDF and copy/paste to OpenOffice (free Word substitute from Oracle). Job done.
Nope, those are scanned PDFs. They are images... I tried your steps with a scanned PDF (from my Canon MFP), no go! The PDF was neat, clean and straight. Evince can't select anything. Adobe-Reader selects and pastes as image. Job not done.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4171 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
bogolisk wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:37 pm
Nope, those are scanned PDFs. They are images... I tried your steps with a scanned PDF (from my Canon MFP), no go! The PDF was neat, clean and straight. Evince can't select anything. Adobe-Reader selects and pastes as image. Job not done.
I did that again this minute. I am using the viewer 3.24 . Select the text. Right click to copy and paste. Job done. I am using Ubuntu. Haven't tried Linuxmint yet.
The pdf has no image. Just straight text on pdf
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4171 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
bogolisk wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:37 pm
BTW there is no need for you to test a scanned page. Those images could be an issue. Say you save this particular web page in pdf file by issuing "print". Then you select, copy and paste. Try it.
The problem might have been caused by the fact that the scanning was not done in a perfectly straight horizontal line.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan