Home & Garden

Converting manual furnace humidifier to automatic, can this be DIY task ?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2018 11:06 am
[OP]
Sep 16, 2014
62 posts
7 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Converting manual furnace humidifier to automatic, can this be DIY task ?

Hello
I am looking to convert my manual furnace humidifier to automatic and just wondering if this would be DIY task ?
I am a kind of Lehman in such tasks tough :(
3 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1990 posts
619 upvotes
Mississauga
It is easy enough but depends on how confident you are in your skills. If you can swap out a thermostat then you can handle it.

What humidifier do you have? I know my Honeywell HE360 has different terminals to connect an automatic or manual humidistat. My previous Air king wait 6000 had a totally different hardware revision for manual or automatic.

If sticking with a standalone humidistat and yours support the manual to automatic upgrade, you just have to swap it out and reconnect the wiring as required. Hardest part will be drilling a hole through your exterior wall for the temperature sensor. Otherwise you can get an Ecobee which uses wifi to get the weather report for automatic humidity control. Hardest part of the Ecobee approach will be if you need to run additional wiring between the ecobee and the humidifier/furnace.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29061 posts
4189 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
bubuski wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 8:43 pm
Hardest part will be drilling a hole through your exterior wall for the temperature sensor. Otherwise you can get an Ecobee which uses wifi to get the weather report for automatic humidity control.
You don’t need any sensors for external readings. Just pull it from a weather report.

My approach would be to install a relay into the humidifier and setup an automation hub

If the weather network reports low temperatures, the automation hub can trigger the relay to activate the humidifier. Similarily, I can activate the same relay if my thermostat reports low humidity in the house.
[OP]
Sep 16, 2014
62 posts
7 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
The thing Is the house used to have automatic furnace humidifier of honey well
But when I was purchasing this house from previous owner , the automatic honey welbhumidifier wasn’t working and they replaced it with manual Aprilaire 500 M which is a manual one
So to me looks like all the wiring is done and even the Honeywell thermostat is still there

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)