• Dec 8th, 2012 3:07 am
Tags:
None
Mar 9, 2005
98 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

converting .mov video to play on Windows Media Player

I have just downloaded the video conversion software " Oxelon Media Converter v1.1 " and am converting a movie clip from .mov to a different file type. The program works but I seem to loose video quality on conversion. The Oxelon software allows you to tweek the parameters as follows :
Media Format ?
Video Codec ?
Audio Codec ?

Video Width x Height ?
Frames/second ?
Bitrate (kbits/sec) ?

Since I am a rookie with this stuff can someone guide me through what i should put in the parameters ?

Thanks in advance !!!!
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
6239 posts
164 upvotes
Can you tell us any more details about the source file that you're trying to convert?

You should try using Virtualdub for conversion, it's free..

Also, unless you prefer Windows Media Player, VLC media player would work better. Also free.
RFD's Resident Ol' School Rap Guru
No, you're not entitled to your own opinion, you're only entitled to what you can argue for.
Otherwise, don't start.

*VESTAX* PMC-05PROIII Battle Mixer for sale!!
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
I prefer using SUPER with Windows, or mencoder for Linux...

As for your settings, the format and codec is up to you, depends on what you're trying to do (why you're converting the file)
As for
Video Width x Height ?
Frames/second ?
Bitrate (kbits/sec) ?

I'd keep Video size and fps as same as source, and Bitrate is also up to you depending on what quality you want.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15218 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> ... and am converting a movie clip from .mov to a different file type. The program works but I seem to loose video quality on conversion.

Whenver you re-encode a lossy-compressed video/audio/still image, you're going to lose quality.

If you want to just watch the file, use VLC, as suggested, or Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. If you want to insist on using Windows Media Player, try installing Quicktime Alternative 1.8.1, then update to the latest version.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)