Automotive

Convex Circle Mirrors (Blind Spot Mirrors)

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2018 12:47 am
[OP]
May 17, 2018
201 posts
77 upvotes

Convex Circle Mirrors (Blind Spot Mirrors)

New RFDer here.

Would people with experience buying, using, replacing / removing aftermarket convex circle mirrors (especially on sedans or hatchbacks) chime in here about things like whether they find them useful, which ones to get (or to avoid) and why, and other things that it's good to know about them? I'm thinking of putting them on a sedan's side mirrors, but don't want to cause damage, put them in a bad spot, etc. Also, it seems that there are ones that stick on to the mirror but stick out on a hinge, not just ones that are more like 'normal' stickers--are they better (at least in some circumstances)? I've tried researching them on Google (and here on the forums) and didn't learn much of anything--I may well have missed some obviously helpful website/guide/thread, so if there is one, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help!
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
46 replies
Nov 13, 2006
695 posts
361 upvotes
amazon has a bunch. get the 2 inch one for the passenger side and the 3 inch one for the drivers side.

mine have been on for 8 years now....
[OP]
May 17, 2018
201 posts
77 upvotes
asifnana wrote:
May 18th, 2018 10:51 am
amazon has a bunch. get the 2 inch one for the passenger side and the 3 inch one for the drivers side.

mine have been on for 8 years now....
Why different sizes? I'm glad that yours have lasted 8 years so far.
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
Jul 23, 2010
387 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
I bought sleek rectangular blind spot mirrors and broadway rear view mirrors for my BRZ (low coupe poor blindspot) and it was life changing. Don’t even turn my head to check as I trust the mirror combo 100%.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5492 posts
3062 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's the first thing I buy with every new car.

This is the set I use:
https://www.amazon.ca/Ampper-Blind-Mirr ... 01CV4ANCC/

It's survived a winter and several car washes. I didn't bother using the pivot base.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Jan 12, 2008
556 posts
108 upvotes
TDot
What's the best position to mount these? I'm thinking the top corner furthest from the car?
[OP]
May 17, 2018
201 posts
77 upvotes
IndusVally wrote:
May 18th, 2018 1:38 pm
What's the best position to mount these? I'm thinking the top corner furthest from the car?
That's my guess, but I wouldn't know what to do for cars with more rounded side mirrors that don't have that corner.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1777 posts
467 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Mine is the circle one but angle is adjustable. Very useful for me specially for parking angld checking the blindspot when changing lane. You can check canadian tire
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5817 posts
572 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I always put them on my cars. I just get the 2-inch~ish circles ones from CT. After sticking them on the mirrors they last forever (probably had them for over 10 years on my old Civic).

I put them in the outer-lower corners of each side mirror, so that I can also use them to check the lines and the curb when I am parking and stuff.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5492 posts
3062 upvotes
Richmond Hill
As per captain obvious - just don't stick them over any blind spot indicators lol
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3567 posts
760 upvotes
Vancouver
number8888 wrote:
May 18th, 2018 2:12 pm
I always put them on my cars. I just get the 2-inch~ish circles ones from CT. After sticking them on the mirrors they last forever (probably had them for over 10 years on my old Civic).

I put them in the outer-lower corners of each side mirror, so that I can also use them to check the lines and the curb when I am parking and stuff.
Ditto. I have been using these for 20+ years.

I have tried various spots on the side mirrors and found the lower outer corner works best. That is where I find they work well for parking to see the lines or curb, be it reversing into a stall or parallel parking, and I like having the upper part of the mirror free to see more of the lane next to me. With my latest vehicle I have a manufacturer installed angled mirror in a cutout in the upper corners so I cannot put them there in any case. This OEM angled cutout does not show the lower part of the vehicle so I still stick a convex mirror there as well.

I prefer the circular ones that you can adjust the angle slightly which I think I somewhere in between 2 and 3 inches diameter.

Over 4 vehicles I've only ever had one fall off. The adhesive from the pad cleans off very easily with something like the citrus based orangesolv or gum-off solvent if you want to re-position or try a different size. They're cheap so if you don't like where it is positioned, buy another one and try a different spot.

[OP]
May 17, 2018
201 posts
77 upvotes
Has anyone used these mirrors on a car that doesn't really have outer corners on its mirrors--like a third-generation Rio?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10572 posts
949 upvotes
Mississauga
If you position your side mirrors correctly, you can eliminate blind spots without having to buy these extra attachments.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3567 posts
760 upvotes
Vancouver
Symplr wrote:
May 18th, 2018 2:45 pm
Has anyone used these mirrors on a car that doesn't really have outer corners on its mirrors--like a third-generation Rio?
You are way over thinking it...... hopefully you don't ask about real oil vs synthetic oil.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)