Food & Drink

Convince me why I should not eat livestock oats (serious)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 3:25 am
[OP]
Jul 8, 2017
156 posts
118 upvotes

Convince me why I should not eat livestock oats (serious)

Livestock / human oats come from the same field, often processed in the same plant, contain the same nutrients, yet are magnitudes cheaper (~$15 usd for 50 lbs). It is read that Richard Proenneke also ate livestock oats due to the lower costs.

The livestock oats I am looking at are "steam rolled oats", they are just liked Quaker oats you'd find at the store, they are rolled (husk removed) and steamed. Some forums have suggested to buy "racehorse" oats as they will be the highest quality to feed multi-million dollar horses.

Arguments may be that foreign material may be present (dust, some husks, bugs, etc) which are all valid. But I do not see feed oats cant be used if chosen carefully. Anything potentially harmful will be killed during the cooking process.

I would freeze excess oats for storage to kill off any eggs/bugs (weevil's, etc).

Thoughts?
23 replies
Aug 14, 2019
26 posts
11 upvotes
Replying to follow this thread. If I can get them that cheap i'll start stocking up.
Aug 23, 2019
808 posts
394 upvotes
i Highly doubt the factory that produces the brand for human consumption uses the same equipment or process for the animal feed brand.

The duty of care and liability for animal feed is much lower.
I don’t know what type of bugs or parasites or bacteria could be present....but likely they go through much stricter requirement for human food.the equipment that keeps the food cleans it or distributed it is kept to a higher standard
May 8, 2007
938 posts
255 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
The amount of people-grade oats used in a serving of porridge is worth only about 10 cents. Is it worthwhile to go to animal-grade oats to save 10 cents? Maybe worthwhile only if feeding a big family and they like oats every day. BTW I eat oats every day, steel cut type, in a mix with barley, flax, quinoa, lentils, and walnuts.

A 50 pound bag of oats is going to take a very long time to use up. If I had a giant bag of oats in my house I would be concerned about bugs getting into them or growing since they might already be there in egg form. I used to frequently find little caterpillars even in new bags of multigrain cereal that was to be cooked. For that reason I try not to have a lot of grains, flour, nuts and similar food in cupboards and I try to keep them in the fridge and freezer.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1559 posts
423 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
speer12345 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2019 11:35 am
I would freeze excess oats for storage to kill off any eggs/bugs (weevil's, etc).

Thoughts?
What is freezer space worth to you? How much space do you have available for livestock oats? How would you be using that space if you were not using it for livestock oats?

Extreme example: if you have to buy a new additional freezer for your livestock oats, the energy usage would kill your savings. Or, if you are running a large chest freezer that is mostly empty, perhaps you could save more money by simply not running the freezer, and eating human grade oats.
Dec 22, 2014
769 posts
247 upvotes
Regina, SK
I think if you want to live like Richard Proenneke you have to truly live like Richard Proenneke. Not just cherry pick certain points.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14365 posts
3700 upvotes
London
Doesn’t this fall into the same category as “what’s the difference between canned dog food and canned beef stew or canned cat food and canned tuna?”
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8839 posts
3162 upvotes
Toronto
careful, eating equine oats might make you a little hoarse
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2821 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto
Even frozen, these oats will go rancid long before you're able to finish them. A horse eats ~3lbs of oats per day. If you're eating this for breakfast, a typical serving size is 2 ounces. So if you ate it every day, it would take 24 days to eat 3lbs. To finish the bag it would take 400 days.

Given that the shelf life of a bag of quaker rolled oats is 2 years, I might be wrong with my initial statement. Presumably it won't go rancid before you finish the bag, assuming the shelf life is the same as a bag of quaker rolled oats.

Now I'm considering this...
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11958 posts
2832 upvotes
Montréal
This is so funny, I've seen threads about oats every Now and then, are you guys raising horses or horses themselves? Lol.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5967 posts
6030 upvotes
Vancouver
Good lord. The animal-grade oats are CAD 88¢/kg at your quoted price. At Costco you can get 5kg of fit-for-humans oats for $7.99, which is $1.60/kg. Even if they were of equal quality (which they aren't), is the hassle of storage and procurement from an agricultural supplier going to be worth the savings? Even if you eat oats like a champ you're not even going to get through a 50lb bag before it goes bad.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2017
156 posts
118 upvotes
I eat atleast 2lb of oatmeal per week. (bowl a day), so it may take 6 months to eat?