Cool/Must-try Restaurants in Montreal/Quebec City

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2019 8:37 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4648 posts
1680 upvotes
West Side GTA
gr8dlr wrote: Au Pied du Couchon food is quite heavy IMO. I've been and probably won't be back.
+1 on the heaviness. But most Quebec/MTL places I find are "hearty" meals anyways and always leave you feeling "full" lol. Even the late Anthony Bourdain says it best when he ate at Au Pied du Couchon

Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: I always recommend this place when ppl ask me where to eat in Montreal.

I really wished they would open a place here. I had a soda there as well called SUMOL (passion fruit)...make sure you get one.
You can get sumol in Toronto. It's Portuguese I think. I get it at freshco and also some Portuguese produce store in Kensington.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
ReeGee wrote: It will actually let me book for next wed-thurs right now but the menu doesn't look too appealing to me
It is very good. Everyone I know that's been there loved it (including my husband who went with his work).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote: It is very good. Everyone I know that's been there loved it (including my husband who went with his work).
I'm sure it's great I'm just personally not crazy about duck and pork which seems to be their specialty and the majority of the menu. My wife is also vegetarian and the options looks very limited. It generally looks better suited for a groups where you can order a bunch of dishes to share.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1197 posts
671 upvotes
I like Gerry's Delicatessen. It's where a lot of the local residents in Montreal eat and recommend.

Schwartz's is overrated. Even when you ask for lean cut it's still fatty as hell and expensive and small portion sizes. I do think everyone should try it for the decor though.

I also go to an ice cream place on Fairmont called Kem Coba which is amazing. There's actually 3 stores almost next to each other, of Kem Coba, Fairmont bagels and the Italian place with the 5 dollar pasta .
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Tried a couple of the recommendations in this thread, they were legit and tried a couple others I'd recommend

L'Express was great and super busy for a Tuesday night. Every table packed until after 10pm. Both of us had the arctic char and it was excellent

L'Avenue was nice for brunch and insane portions. Probably the biggest Omlete I've ever had and fresh fruit before that. It was good but I'm usually light eater for lunch and this was way too much food for me

Le Chien Fumant - Found this on our own looking stuff up online and it lived up to the reviews. I got my steak as recommended which may be too rare for some but the whole dish was amazing with rich flavors. My wife had the Trout and loved it

Patati Patata - Stumbled on this place originally on our way to La Banquise and there was a small lineup at 1:40am. I looked it up and prefer their skinny style of fries rather than the thick ones at La Banquise so decided to try it instead. It was probably the best poutine I've ever had.

Overall I enjoyed and would recommend all of these places. We're also late eaters and loved how easy it was to find good food late at night compared to Toronto where most good restaurants shut down at 10pm
Images
  • Lexpress.jpg
  • L'Avenue.jpg
  • La Chien Fumant.jpg
  • Patati.jpg
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6564 upvotes
Toronto
Any suggestions for restaurants in Quebec city ? Face Savouring Delicious Food
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Jun 6, 2016
134 posts
89 upvotes
If you're in Old Quebec, I recommend having breakfast at "Au Petit Coin Breton". Their pancakes (the thin, rolled-up style ones) and French toast are really good. Take note however that the place is really small, so you might not be able to get in right away.

If you like scotch, I cannot recommend enough the Nelligan Pub on St. Jean street (near Old Quebec as well). Their selection is spectacular (if you know your stuff), it has the look of an old Irish pub, with everything made out of wood. It's also 25% off all scotches and whiskies on Saturdays, so you might want to invest going down that road tomorrow night and take advantage of some of their exclusive bottles (from an SAQ point of view, of course). It's a self-imposed stop whenever I'm in the area.

Speaking of Irish pubs, you'll find a find a few in Old Quebec. Pub St. Patrick had the most buttery potatoes I've ever eaten in their bangers n' mash, and it's served alongside a Jameson-based gravy -- so good.

Noctem in St. Roch has a great menu as well but, if I recall correctly, it changes fairly regularly. They do make however their own craft beer. There is also a bar right in front of it with an impressive selection of microbrewed crafted beer as well. You can't go wrong with 3 Brasseurs either.

If you aim lower, you can always go for a Dulton or a poutine with sausages at any Ashton's, but then ones at the Banquise in Montreal are way better IMO. Do yourself a favor and drop in a Chocolato if you see one too. Take a pizza made out of chocolate or a dark chocolate ice cream dipped in dark chocolate + orange coating and feel the diabetes slowly coming in.

Enjoy!
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
leeoku wrote: I would highly not recommend La Banquise. The food I had there was small and just poorly made (burnt fries, meh gravy) . The Portugese chicken poutine across the street was much better. I had both and the portugese one trumped in size, quality and flavour
gr8dlr wrote: The poutine at the Portuguese place (Ma Pouille) across the street is also very good.
I went last weekend to Montreal on the last leg of a mini vacation... I went to La Banquise because the line at Ma Pouille was insane. This was 3pm in the afternoon. Then when I left, the line at La Banquise was insane and there was no line at Ma Pouille.

I guess just bad timing. La Banquise was fine. The poutine was good, but not really memorable. I feel like I had better before. Personally I should have had it plain. I feel like all the extra toppings take away more then they add.
Feb 5, 2007
889 posts
473 upvotes
Mississauga
hope you at least tried the portugese place too!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1197 posts
671 upvotes
Recent trip to Montreal..

Went to a place called Billy Geez. It’ was written up in the Montreal food blog which is why I went. Burgers are really tasty and get this.. only 3 dollars. Problem is they are kind of small. Not sliders but not big either. Also had fries and a drink. A can of pop is 2.25 there. My guess is they break even on the burgers and make money on everything else. If I go back I’ll get 2 burgers and nothing else. The burger meat is extremely good quality for a place like this.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12990 posts
1471 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: The poutine at the Portuguese place (Ma Pouille) across the street is also very good.
-=phelan=- wrote: Dude man their portions are HUGE...my fiance and I shared a meal there and had some left overs to take home too. Felt like American size portions lol.

Yes x 1000. I discovered Ma Pouille by walking by it after eating at La Banquise. I was stuffed full from LA Banquise but the smell from MA Pouille made me return the next day to try it out and I was blown away by the delicious food, the portion sizes, and the low prices.

It ruined Portuguese chicken in Toronto for me forever.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5368 upvotes
I disagree about La Banquise portion sizes being small, last time I had it was a few yrs ago though. I was not blown away by the poutine, but even the "small" was a large portion that had enough calories to completely stuff me (I"m sure it was 1500 calories at least, I'm usually pretty good about guessing rough calorie counts from foods I eat). I find a lot of Asian food in Montreal to be really sub-par compared to Toronto. Montreal smoked meat at Schwartz's aint what it used to be either.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4648 posts
1680 upvotes
West Side GTA
^^ well YUL vs YYZ for chinese food is like comparing apples and oranges man...I have nothing but good things to say about YYZ chinese food given that many of the HKG or mainland chefs come to YYZ or YVR. YUL doesn't get as many good chefs for asian foods because of the perceived language barrier of french and QC taxes.

Sad to hear that Schwartz has gone a bit downhill in terms of the smoked meat. Are you sure you asked for extra fatty version? :P Was there last time and it was as good as i remember it. Just stay away from the lean cuts and always get FATTY :)
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2017
1055 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto
Chateau Kebab - there’s one in downtown close to Concordia University and there is one in the west island in DDO. Afghani food, really good.

Notre Boeuf de Grace - One next to Concordia and another in Saint Laurent next to Place Vertu.

Burger Bar Crescent - downtown in crescent street.

Restaurant Kam Shing for chinese - It’s at Cote Des Neiges plaza. There’s also one outside Van Horne metro in Plamondon.

Pizza Dany - No place to sit. It’s take out. In downtown on Sainte Catherine and De La Montagne. Used to be Club 1234 right across. Pizza is really good, especially the chicken one.

St-Hubert for obvious reasons.

For poutine - go to Decarie Hotdog. It’s very good. It’s outside Côte-Vertu metro. Try Paulo & Suzanne also, which is on Boul. Gouin.

All this is in Montréal. Grew up there, about 18 years
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6564 upvotes
Toronto
Bumping this thread

Any good dessert place in downtown other than tsujiri?
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
Pochacco wrote: Bumping this thread

Any good dessert place in downtown other than tsujiri?
Kouign amann from Pâtisserie Au Kouign Amann

The problem is you've gotta buy it during the day and trust yourself you won't eat it before dessert.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!