Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V Power Supply $29 W/Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2010 4:53 pm
41 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3419 posts
2071 upvotes
GVRD
A re-badged FSP, not the greatest but good enough for a budget setup.

However, this particular model is apparently a 400W PSU that Cooler-Master has uprated to 460W to squeeze more profit out of the design.

60W isn't really much, but it is something to be aware of if you are considering this particular PSU.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... iew/1005/1
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2006
1692 posts
82 upvotes
It's a known name-brand, but I wouldn't trust this much more than a no-name generic Chinese PSU.

Look for 80-plus certification, a PSU manufacturer can't fake efficiency using cheap components.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
4250 posts
460 upvotes
According to that review, they just labelled this as a 460W even though it's only 400W and identical to the 400W unit... Unbelievable!
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3419 posts
2071 upvotes
GVRD
RastaManMax wrote: According to that review, they just labelled this as a 460W even though it's only 400W and identical to the 400W unit... Unbelievable!
Yep, and this is something that Cooler Master has done in the past. I have a CM PSU that they labeled as 600W, but is actually 500W and performs like a a 500W. :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1554 posts
182 upvotes
Does anyone have this exact model ???

Is it quiet ?? I bought a power supply from Tiger Direct for $45, and the stupid fan can be heard from any room in the house!!
Nov 20, 2009
635 posts
152 upvotes
you'd be better off searching around for a 400-600w OCZ power supply with MIR and then pricematch with NCIX, there always seems to be at least one available between $25 and $40 after MIR

While OCZ PSUs are rebrands of other manufacturers, they are 80+ certified, run very quiet and are conservatively labeled (other vendors market identical PSU as higher wattage)

here's a 500w stealthXstream for $29.99 after $15 MIR
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... omoid=1068
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2550 posts
572 upvotes
marantz wrote: Enjoy your new 460W psu!*

*Not 460W.
Yes, by now we all know it's 400W. Obviously you should have a PSU that matches the budget of the rest of your PC. What if your trying to build a $300 for a friend that only uses e-mail and surfs the net. Are you still going to blow $72 on a PSU when the system draws under 300W anyway? I hope not.

If your going to build a low budget PC, then this is the PSU for you. If you are going high end this won't cut it and you'll have to go with something bigger/better.
Dec 10, 2008
109 posts
RideGuy wrote: Yes, by now we all know it's 400W. Obviously you should have a PSU that matches the budget of the rest of your PC. What if your trying to build a $300 for a friend that only uses e-mail and surfs the net. Are you still going to blow $72 on a PSU when the system draws under 300W anyway? I hope not.

If your going to build a low budget PC, then this is the PSU for you. If you are going high end this won't cut it and you'll have to go with something bigger/better.
Why reward cooler master when they're being disingenuous?
Feb 9, 2010
61 posts
5 upvotes
Ontario
I don't know why everyone's bashing Coolmaster so much.

Dishonest advertising aside, $30 for a brand name PSU with Dual 12V rails @ 18A each IS a hot deal. This PSU will power everything from a 5850 and below. Show me another PSU that will do that for $30.
Mar 20, 2004
390 posts
19 upvotes
Recently purchased this PSU. It does the job and is quiet when the temperature is low. As it gets warmer, the 120mm fan will spin up to full speed and it's pretty loud. So it seems like it only has two speeds, low and high.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2005
8363 posts
692 upvotes
Deal is over. Now they are charging $7.74 for shipping.
Heatware: 36-0-0
Nov 23, 2006
66 posts
8 upvotes
I'm using the exact model so I can give you some idea. It's using 120mm fan so it definitely reduces the noise level a lot. I would say it's quiet if your whole system load is not high. DB wise, I guess it's like less than 25db compared with another 18db CPU fan I'm having.
yourmemory wrote: Does anyone have this exact model ???

Is it quiet ?? I bought a power supply from Tiger Direct for $45, and the stupid fan can be heard from any room in the house!!
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
hwd2000 wrote: I'm using the exact model so I can give you some idea. It's using 120mm fan so it definitely reduces the noise level a lot. I would say it's quiet if your whole system load is not high. DB wise, I guess it's like less than 25db compared with another 18db CPU fan I'm having.
What's the build quality like? Does it "look" like it would be as durable as say a stock PSU in a major brand. I know that's a really subjective question, BTW.
Nov 23, 2006
66 posts
8 upvotes
You asked a good question but I don't know if I'm eligible to answer it. I used to have no psu higher than 350w and this is my first 460w psu. It weighs more than my best 350w psu for sure and interior looks full when I checked it from the fan vent. So I would say it "looks" as durable as my best 350w PSU which has worked for 3 years flawlessly.
idiotcanuck wrote: What's the build quality like? Does it "look" like it would be as durable as say a stock PSU in a major brand. I know that's a really subjective question, BTW.
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10836 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
hwd2000 wrote: You asked a good question but I don't know if I'm eligible to answer it. I used to have no psu higher than 350w and this is my first 460w psu. It weighs more than my best 350w psu for sure and interior looks full when I checked it from the fan vent. So I would say it "looks" as durable as my best 350w PSU which has worked for 3 years flawlessly.
Thanks for the feedback.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9475 posts
1610 upvotes
FSP/Sparkle ain't too bad. It's like the best of the no-names. I think if you aren't overclocking huge or running mulitiple drives or a power hunger videocard/cpu it should be fine. I'm running off a 400w FSP for the past 4 yrs... through mulitple builds. Of course most of what i run is quite energy efficient. C2D 8400, 4770, 1x hd, 1x dvdrw

They sell HECs at newegg as well that have higher efficiency... i've never tried them but they seem to get decent user reviews and free shipping as well. -sg
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com