Off Topic

Cop goes home and shoots and kills stranger in her home - woops cop went to wrong unit - now arrested and charged

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 4:10 pm
[OP]
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
658 upvotes

Cop goes home and shoots and kills stranger in her home - woops cop went to wrong unit - now arrested and charged

https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-of ... man-inside
An off-duty Dallas police officer shot and killed a man after she walked into the wrong apartment in her building just south of Downtown Dallas.

The shooting happened around 10 p.m. Thursday. The Dallas Police Department said the officer had just finished her shift and entered what she believed was her own apartment at the South Side Flats. The complex is near the department's headquarters on Lamar Avenue.

However, it was not the right apartment. The officer ran into a man who she didn’t recognize and ended up shooting him. She called 911 afterward, police said.

Responding officers found Botham Shem Jean, 26, badly wounded. He was taken to the hospital and died a short time later.
Edit

Officer has now been officially charged
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/09/09/us/amb ... index.html

RIP to the victim who was just sitting at home

Amber Guyger and Botham Shem Jean
Last edited by Gboard2 on Sep 10th, 2018 8:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
320 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
2064 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
My god, how could the officer make such a tragic mistake.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3916 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
I suggest we use this isolated incident involving one police officer to demonize all of the approximately one million police officers in the US and Canada.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18221 posts
1728 upvotes
Niagara Falls
sounds like manslaughter to me and clearly someone who should never have been allowed to touch a gun.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3500 posts
410 upvotes
If cops can get it wrong, imagine what it would be like if most Americans are armed, which is what the gun-rights activists want.
Feb 4, 2018
577 posts
34 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:
Sep 7th, 2018 9:52 pm
clearly Botham Shem Jean should have been strapped and carrying a gun at all times - if the popo pulls a gun on him, then at least Jean can shoot back!!!

'Murica needs more gunsssss!!!!
And what exactly is wrong with this line of thinking? That dude might be alive today if just what you said had actually occurred.
Oct 22, 2013
35 posts
2 upvotes
Poutsounia wrote:
Sep 7th, 2018 10:03 pm
And what exactly is wrong with this line of thinking? That dude might be alive today if just what you said had actually occurred.
Could of been prevented in a lot of ways. Having to have to be strapped at all times to prevent not being shot at and killed by a dumb ass officer is not ideal.

Still a lot of information not given. Like was the door not locked or the officer decided to break in. And they mention it is an apartment, so a lot of effort would have to be made to break in to one. And the neighbors would of surely heard the officer trying to break in before the gun shot, which they mention as the first thing they heard. Seems likely the door was not locked and he could of prevented being shot by locking his door.

Still seem weird though. Who wouldn't lock their doors?..... I would feel uncomfortable leaving my door unlocked. Even more so if I lived in the states. Also, I don't think an officer would just walk in the apt and say "hey their is a guy sitting on what seems like not really my couch, I'm gonna shoot him" Unless the guy was being raging aggressive.

Another scenario would be the cop was struggling to open the door cause obviously the keys would of not worked and the guy thought someone was trying to break in and tried to be a hero.

Or it was the drugs. All logic goes out the window when drugs are involved.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16098 posts
2246 upvotes
Toronto
Poutsounia wrote:
Sep 7th, 2018 10:03 pm
He's a black man who got shot by a white female police officer in the south. He'd have been sent to the chair immediately even if he managed to survive the SWAT team.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2541 posts
1446 upvotes
Montreal
heymikey wrote:
Sep 7th, 2018 10:02 pm
If cops can get it wrong, imagine what it would be like if most Americans are armed, which is what the gun-rights activists want.
Most Americans aren't that stupid, even the Yeehaws people love to make fun of.

Bar for becoming a cop is really really really low at places.
Jul 8, 2009
635 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Scy123 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2018 1:40 am
Who wouldn't lock their doors?..... I would feel uncomfortable leaving my door unlocked.
I read this was a fairly upscale building. Probably has security downstairs and cameras everywhere, so the expectation of crime is low. Or the guy simply forgot. I've forgotten to lock my door a few times, especially after getting home from shopping with my hands full. I only notice it because I check every night before going to sleep, but I've still had my door unlocked for 4-5 hours in the evening. Accidents happen.

I have also once tried to enter the wrong apartment, when the elevator deposited me on the wrong floor (I never did figure out why). I only noticed after trying my key, which didn't work, and only then I looked at the number on the door.

All of that is no excuse for shooting someone dead in their own home.

And finally, it's "could have", "would have" and "should have", not "could of", "would of" , or "should of".
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18221 posts
1728 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Scy123 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2018 1:40 am
Still seem weird though. Who wouldn't lock their doors?..... I would feel uncomfortable leaving my door unlocked. Even more so if I lived in the states. Also, I don't think an officer would just walk in the apt and say "hey their is a guy sitting on what seems like not really my couch, I'm gonna shoot him" Unless the guy was being raging aggressive.
Plenty of people don't lock their doors. I only lock my front door when I'm leaving to go out somewhere and honestly, I only do it because we have an automatic lock. When we still had to use a key for the front door I rarely if ever locked my front door.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7271 posts
1501 upvotes
Mississauga
Something is really off with her story. Did she not recognize it was not her home when she walked in? I think it was intentional.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16098 posts
2246 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote:
Sep 8th, 2018 1:56 pm
Something is really off with her story. Did she not recognize it was not her home when she walked in? I think it was intentional.
It's literally the Chappelle bit about the cops shooting the guy who 'broke in and put up pictures of his family everywhere'.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

picard12