Off Topic

Cop goes home and shoots and kills stranger in her home - woops cop went to wrong unit - now arrested and charged

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 4:10 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1206 posts
629 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kr0zet wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 10:39 pm
Unfortunately the supreme court does not agree with you, firearms ownership is not a right in Canada.
I'm disappointed but not surprised that the supreme court doesn't agree with me on this. My opinion is that if I'm not harming anyone and not requiring anything from anyone, then it is my right to do what I'm doing. The supreme court disagrees. That's unfortunate.
I've heard cops state that driving is also a privilege and not a right. I disagree with that too. As long as you have demonstrated competency, are a responsible and mentally healthy adult, then you have a right to drive a car, ride a bicycle, jump on a pogo stick...
You and I are free. If a freedom is to be taken away, the burden of proof should be on those who want to take it away. Not the other way around.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1726 posts
521 upvotes
Winnipeg
On the point of police carrying guns when off-duty -
This is a legit point that if someone has gone through training and security clearance and psychology, etc then that person could be trusted with a gun at ALL times.

However, on the flip side, when off-duty they maybe partying, or on a beach or at places where other people may have access to their weapon when the officer is casual. So I am of the opinion that the officer should not be in possession of the weapon off-duty.

One other somewhat related point is, when on-duty you are expected to be on-guard and vigilant especially when you are going out on patrol or for a case. When off-duty, you cannot expect the officer to be just as vigilant. Its their time to relax and load off. If possessing a weapon, there is a certain amount of care which we dont want the officer to burden with. Well if they are keeping the weapon locked in their house, thats a different case.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Feb 22, 2017
79 posts
9 upvotes
Guns should be banned in america and canada
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20472 posts
2261 upvotes
Montreal
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 11:56 pm
Handguns are a lot more dangerous than shotguns or rifles because they can be easily concealed and transported. While mass shootings may make the news, the vast majority of shootings involve handguns (and that doesn't even include situations where a criminal pulled out a handgun but didn't shoot it). Canada could ban handguns with only a minimal impact on the legal uses for firearms (including the "unofficial" use for home defense).
Yeah but shotguns do brutal damage. Ask any ER doc or trauma surgeon what flesh and guts ripped up by pellets looks like.

Honestly, with the state of modern science, I still don't get the sad state of technology in non lethal weapons. Weapons that could effectively disable without killing would be a boon to law enforcement.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3919 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 3:53 pm
Yeah but shotguns do brutal damage. Ask any ER doc or trauma surgeon what flesh and guts ripped up by pellets looks like.

Honestly, with the state of modern science, I still don't get the sad state of technology in non lethal weapons. Weapons that could effectively disable without killing would be a boon to law enforcement.
No doubt that shotguns do way more damage than handguns; it's just that handguns are a lot more easier to carry around for day-to-day criminal use and attract less attention.

The problem with less-lethal weapons is that it is very difficult to design something that will reliably incapacitate someone without possibly killing them. Of course, not everyone has the same physical capacities; for example, a high-powered beanbag shot might barely slow down one person (especially if they are on the influence of drugs), whereas the same beanbag shot might kill someone else.
Jul 5, 2004
23393 posts
2944 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 3:53 pm

The problem is the failure of those weapons to consistently neutralize the threat. Typically if lethal force is being used, someone's life is in imminent danger. There is no time for a weapon to be used that will probably get the job done.

Bean bags hurt like hell, but I've seen people take them and keep coming. Inflammatory sprays are far from perfect (some people can shrug it off and there's often a delay before it has an effect). Tazers are often ineffective.

Lethal options are the only reliable way to stop someone immediately. That's really what it comes down to.

Console also brought up a good point. Those less than lethal options can also result in death.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20472 posts
2261 upvotes
Montreal
Shaner wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 7:24 pm
The problem is the failure of those weapons to consistently neutralize the threat. Typically if lethal force is being used, someone's life is in imminent danger. There is no time for a weapon to be used that will probably get the job done.

Bean bags hurt like hell, but I've seen people take them and keep coming. Inflammatory sprays are far from perfect (some people can shrug it off and there's often a delay before it has an effect). Tazers are often ineffective.

Lethal options are the only reliable way to stop someone immediately. That's really what it comes down to.

Console also brought up a good point. Those less than lethal options can also result in death.
I saw some military grade stuff on TV once. Ultrasonic wave emitters, high radiant heat microwave discharges, and other diffuse impact weapons, acoustic blasters and the like.
Jul 5, 2004
23393 posts
2944 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 7:33 pm
I saw some military grade stuff on TV once. Ultrasonic wave emitters, high radiant heat microwave discharges, and other diffuse impact weapons, acoustic blasters and the like.
I'm not familiar with any of that stuff, but I'm guessing it's a combination of them not being effective, not being able to isolate an individual target with them, not being widely available and/or cost.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9095 posts
2060 upvotes
Trump University
I found out what happened!

It was probably like this! :lol:

You only live twice ǝɔᴉʍʇ 😎
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4235 posts
942 upvotes
Toronto
Corleone187 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 8:52 am

What a b..
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
6372 posts
1820 upvotes
Corleone187 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 8:52 am

Funny thing is if there was no video and he complained about being profiled, he'd be called a liar or overly sensitive. Trump's America is a scary place.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9095 posts
2060 upvotes
Trump University
JayLove06 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 12:28 pm
Funny thing is if there was no video and he complained about being profiled, he'd be called a liar or overly sensitive. Trump's America is a scary place.
I'm confident a similar situation happened in this cop shooting.

The guy tried to go home and the cop stopped him from going into his apartment. When the guy got into his apartment he closed the door and she started pounding on it telling him to let her in just like the eye witnesses said. Then the guy opened the door telling her to go away because he had to go to work the next day and couldn't sleep with her pounding on the door. Then she shot him

There's no way she went into the wrong apartment, they ran into each other earlier like at the garage or something, then she tried to stop him from going home just like in the video above. But you don't have a right to prevent someone from going into their home by blocking them or restraining them
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
6372 posts
1820 upvotes
Corleone187 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 1:30 pm
I'm confident a similar situation happened in this cop shooting.

The guy tried to go home and the cop stopped him from going into his apartment. When the guy got into his apartment he closed the door and she started pounding on it telling him to let her in just like the eye witnesses said. Then the guy opened the door telling her to go away because he had to go to work the next day and couldn't sleep with her pounding on the door. Then she shot him

There's no way she went into the wrong apartment, they ran into each other earlier like at the garage or something, then she tried to stop him from going home just like in the video above. But you don't have a right to prevent someone from going into their home by blocking them or restraining them
The story makes absolutely no sense and since there is no video evidence, she will be OK. Sad.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9095 posts
2060 upvotes
Trump University
JayLove06 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 2:24 pm
The story makes absolutely no sense and since there is no video evidence, she will be OK. Sad.
I assure you disruption is about to occur - the human black box, just like the data flight recorders, but for humans!

It's gonna be worth billions, data storage is becoming cheaper, smaller. Video compression is becoming better, and data infrastructure is being built for basically unlimited internet in the future

You have to think that there is a disruptive opportunity to squeeze into the cell phone recording market. Absolutely no one should have to hold a cell phone whenever they want to record, the video is vertical, shaky and not focused where it needs to be focused

In the next 10 years there will be an emerging market of personal black boxes that record everything around you 360 degrees at all times! If you jump in now and disrupt the cell phone recording market you will be a billionaire within 10 years!