Off Topic

Cop goes home and shoots and kills stranger in her home - woops cop went to wrong unit - now arrested and charged

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 4:10 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
6372 posts
1820 upvotes
Corleone187 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 5:12 pm
I assure you disruption is about to occur - the human black box, just like the data flight recorders, but for humans!

It's gonna be worth billions, data storage is becoming cheaper, smaller. Video compression is becoming better, and data infrastructure is being built for basically unlimited internet in the future

You have to think that there is a disruptive opportunity to squeeze into the cell phone recording market. Absolutely no one should have to hold a cell phone whenever they want to record, the video is vertical, shaky and not focused where it needs to be focused

In the next 10 years there will be an emerging market of personal black boxes that record everything around you 360 degrees at all times! If you jump in now and disrupt the cell phone recording market you will be a billionaire within 10 years!
Oh I don't doubt you.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
16675 posts
593 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Corleone187 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 5:12 pm
I assure you disruption is about to occur - the human black box, just like the data flight recorders, but for humans!

It's gonna be worth billions, data storage is becoming cheaper, smaller. Video compression is becoming better, and data infrastructure is being built for basically unlimited internet in the future

You have to think that there is a disruptive opportunity to squeeze into the cell phone recording market. Absolutely no one should have to hold a cell phone whenever they want to record, the video is vertical, shaky and not focused where it needs to be focused

In the next 10 years there will be an emerging market of personal black boxes that record everything around you 360 degrees at all times! If you jump in now and disrupt the cell phone recording market you will be a billionaire within 10 years!
Looks like somebody watches Black Mirror.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5741 posts
1315 upvotes
Mississauga
Corleone187 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 8:52 am
I found out what happened!

It was probably like this! :lol:

boyohboy wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 9:35 am
What a b..
The thing is "tailgaters" is a real problem in Condo buildings. Even in office buildings.

They always say not to hold the door open for someone you don't recognize behind you. You live or work there, you should have the fob to tap in. If you're visiting, buzz in.

He could have easily, just let the door close, and tap in himself, instead of wasting his time, breath, phone battery and storage space, and whatever, on this whole ordeal.

"Turn big problems to small problems. Turn small problems to no problems."

Not the other way around.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9095 posts
2060 upvotes
Trump University
kenchau wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 12:57 am
The thing is "tailgaters" is a real problem in Condo buildings. Even in office buildings.

They always say not to hold the door open for someone you don't recognize behind you. You live or work there, you should have the fob to tap in. If you're visiting, buzz in.

He could have easily, just let the door close, and tap in himself, instead of wasting his time, breath, phone battery and storage space, and whatever, on this whole ordeal.

"Turn big problems to small problems. Turn small problems to no problems."

Not the other way around.
C'mon man, I have a more upscale condo that has concierge 24/7 right at the door and I've NEVER seen this EVER. What where people let the door close then swipe this card? You know how inefficient this would be? There would be a line up :lol:
You only live twice ǝɔᴉʍʇ 😎
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5741 posts
1315 upvotes
Mississauga
Corleone187 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 9:28 am
C'mon man, I have a more upscale condo that has concierge 24/7 right at the door and I've NEVER seen this EVER. What where people let the door close then swipe this card? You know how inefficient this would be? There would be a line up :lol:
I know it's inefficient. But I'm speaking from experience where we've had incidents at both work office and condo building. It's been brought up as a concern at our Condo AGMs from residents. Whether it's food delivery or what have you, they just walk on through, when visitors should be buzzing up regardless. Break ins do happen.

My point is, if it's not someone you recognize, doesn't hurt to ask. If someone didn't recognize me and asked if I lived in my building, how difficult is it for me to just let them be on their way, and just tap myself in with a fob. Not difficult at all.

Why make something out of nothing. A Condo building is not a public place, it's a private community of homeowners and residents who need to all share in ensuring it's a safe and secure space. Concierge isn't at the desk every second of the day. They will do the same thing and ask people walking on through that they don't recognize, if they live in the building.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9095 posts
2060 upvotes
Trump University
kenchau wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 9:57 am
I know it's inefficient. But I'm speaking from experience where we've had incidents at both work office and condo building. It's been brought up as a concern at our Condo AGMs from residents. Whether it's food delivery or what have you, they just walk on through, when visitors should be buzzing up regardless. Break ins do happen.

My point is, if it's not someone you recognize, doesn't hurt to ask. If someone didn't recognize me and asked if I lived in my building, how difficult is it for me to just let them be on their way, and just tap myself in with a fob. Not difficult at all.

Why make something out of nothing. A Condo building is not a public place, it's a private community of homeowners and residents who need to all share in ensuring it's a safe and secure space. Concierge isn't at the desk every second of the day. They will do the same thing and ask people walking on through that they don't recognize, if they live in the building.
You can simply note their description or take a photo of them if you're uncertain but you can't falsely imprison them from entering their home. For instance because you don't recognize someone isn't good enough reason to falsely imprison them. You can ask but they don't really have to respond to you. It's not like the guy had a gun or something, there was literally no reason. Here reason was "you walked in from the street", again which isn't good enough reason since EVERYONE does that to get in from the front door
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1261 posts
347 upvotes
Corleone187 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 8:52 am
I found out what happened!

It was probably like this! :lol:

The woman is a busybody, but I don’t blame her for asking him if he has a fob. She just went too far thereafter, and then in the end it sounded like she was trying to cozy up to him to have her invited in. Smh
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5741 posts
1315 upvotes
Mississauga
Corleone187 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 10:18 am
You can simply note their description or take a photo of them if you're uncertain but you can't falsely imprison them from entering their home. For instance because you don't recognize someone isn't good enough reason to falsely imprison them. You can ask but they don't really have to respond to you. It's not like the guy had a gun or something, there was literally no reason. Here reason was "you walked in from the street", again which isn't good enough reason since EVERYONE does that to get in from the front door
I'm aware of that. Again, the point is, why do you have to make something out of nothing. If you are a resident and/or homeowner in that building, shouldn't you have an understanding of wanting to ensure the building remains safe - it is your home afterall.

The whole ordeal could have been prevented by a simple, "Yes I do live here. Here's my fob. Enjoy your evening."

Confrontational people like to escalate, often turning things into a bigger deal, because they take it personal, not understanding the other point of view.

What if your place got broken into? Wouldn't you be asking, "how the hell did the person get into the building (aka your home)?". If so, then you need to share in the responsibility of helping to keep it safe and secure. But maybe you wouldn't care if your place got broken into, I don't know.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4235 posts
942 upvotes
Toronto
Corleone187 wrote:
Definitely loved that line... "you walked in from the street". I guess other residents in that condo either only drive or have teleports.
kenchau wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 11:02 am
I'm aware of that. Again, the point is, why do you have to make something out of nothing. If you are a resident and/or homeowner in that building, shouldn't you have an understanding of wanting to ensure the building remains safe - it is your home afterall.

The whole ordeal could have been prevented by a simple, "Yes I do live here. Here's my fob. Enjoy your evening."

Confrontational people like to escalate, often turning things into a bigger deal, because they take it personal, not understanding the other point of view.

What if your place got broken into? Wouldn't you be asking, "how the hell did the person get into the building (aka your home)?". If so, then you need to share in the responsibility of helping to keep it safe and secure. But maybe you wouldn't care if your place got broken into, I don't know.
Not sure who's the more confrontational there, at least from the video the woman was the one who kept on escalating it. Didn't the guy already said what you suggested? Didn't he literally say out the super's name? Where do you draw the line to comply to commands from a complete stranger asking you to do such and such and stop you from going home?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3919 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
Corleone187 wrote:
Preventing someone from entering their home is not "falsely imprisoning them". Preventing them from leaving their home (or anywhere else) would be.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9095 posts
2060 upvotes
Trump University
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 11:24 am
Preventing someone from entering their home is not "falsely imprisoning them". Preventing them from leaving their home (or anywhere else) would be.
With the other option being what? The street? How will the guy sleep and eat? She prevented him from leaving the streets :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5741 posts
1315 upvotes
Mississauga
boyohboy wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 11:15 am
Definitely loved that line... "you walked in from the street". I guess other residents in that condo either only drive or have teleports.

Not sure who's the more confrontational there, at least from the video the woman was the one who kept on escalating it. Didn't the guy already said what you suggested? Didn't he literally say out the super's name? Where do you draw the line to comply to commands from a complete stranger asking you to do such and such and stop you from going home?
I don't believe he showed his entry fob. Else he could have just let her close the door. Tap and be on his way...but instead, he decided to go through the effort of pulling out his phone to start recording, which is way more effort.

Why did he do that? Because he defaulted into thinking this was a race thing, as opposed to a homeowner/resident thing. I don't blame him for thinking that, but not everything is necessarily a race thing.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3919 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
kenchau wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 12:25 pm
I don't believe he showed his entry fob. Else he could have just let her close the door. Tap and be on his way...but instead, he decided to go through the effort of pulling out his phone to start recording, which is way more effort.

Why did he do that? Because he defaulted into thinking this was a race thing, as opposed to a homeowner/resident thing. I don't blame him for thinking that, but not everything is necessarily a race thing.
That's part of the problem. She *may* have been overzealous, but there's no evidence supporting the notion that she is a racist other than the fact that he happens to be black.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9095 posts
2060 upvotes
Trump University
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 12:38 pm
That's part of the problem. She *may* have been overzealous, but there's no evidence supporting the notion that she is a racist other than the fact that he happens to be black.
How about the part where he used his key to enter his apartment, then she called the cops on him even after that? Maybe a bit more than overzealous and more than *may*! :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9095 posts
2060 upvotes
Trump University
kenchau wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 12:25 pm

It was actually a good move for efficiency because it prevents it from happening again and again if you were just to fall over. It's like writing a computer program or writing a script to automate tasks. You have to look at the big picture of efficiency with the initial time investment spent.

For instance I heard management said that she was in the wrong and no longer will be loitering around there!