Off Topic

Cop goes home and shoots and kills stranger in her home - woops cop went to wrong unit - now arrested and charged

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 4:10 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4236 posts
943 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 12:25 pm
I don't believe he showed his entry fob. Else he could have just let her close the door. Tap and be on his way...but instead, he decided to go through the effort of pulling out his phone to start recording, which is way more effort.

Why did he do that? Because he defaulted into thinking this was a race thing, as opposed to a homeowner/resident thing. I don't blame him for thinking that, but not everything is necessarily a race thing.
he KNEW the super's name... and he had his key to open his OWN condo door... yet the woman still called the cop. Who was escalating thing, you tell me...
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1003 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
Whip out his fob, tap and be done.
From what I see, there's no front desk/concierge there, the lady has the right to be concerned when he tries to go through the door without his fob, and afterwards refuses to show his fob.
Yes, call the cops after seeing he has keys to his door is over the edge.

So at the end, neither of them did the right thing, just two idiots duking it out, very typical now-a-days.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5746 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
boyohboy wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 1:51 pm
he KNEW the super's name... and he had his key to open his OWN condo door... yet the woman still called the cop. Who was escalating thing, you tell me...
I'm not talking about the whole aftermath. I'm talking about initially, when he tried to walk in through the door right behind her..."tailgating"/"piggybacking". She would have asked him an honest question, "do you live here?".

At THAT point, he could have simply said, "yes. here's my fob. I'll tap myself in." Then the whole situation is over! Done with! Instead of pulling out his fob, he pulls out his phone, and starts recording because he assumed she's racist for questioning if he lived there because she didn't recognize him, and simply wanted to verify.

We don't know at which point, she actually called the cops, just that the cops showed up afterwards.

He knowingly, went through the trouble of pulling out his phone to start recording the situation, when he could have ended the situation right in the beginning, with less effort. THIS IS THE POINT PEOPLE!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9102 posts
2060 upvotes
Trump University
TBH I think she wanted a date and to strike up a conversation! She was just being sly. She certainly wasn't afraid of him

Her actions were obviously abnormal. For instance if you film the front door, tell me when this situation occurs again? Hours? Days? Weeks? I've never seen it happen.

The thing is women will destroy you IF they are upfront about these things and get rejected so there needs to be another method of approach that will salvage the ego

I had a situation when I was in Uni where my boss literally wanted to fight me and would argue with me for no reason at work. It was so bad because I'm such a nice guy that I kept wondering why does this person hate me for no reason!?

Then one night after work she got into my car and wanted to go back to her place. So I said ok and after I dropped her off at her place she wouldn't get out of the car. So I kept thinking is this the same person that hates me?!
You only live twice ǝɔᴉʍʇ 😎
Oct 25, 2010
153 posts
22 upvotes
Corleone187 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 9:28 am
C'mon man, I have a more upscale condo that has concierge 24/7 right at the door and I've NEVER seen this EVER. What where people let the door close then swipe this card? You know how inefficient this would be? There would be a line up :lol:
I live in an upscale condo as well. It does happen.

The concierge can't man the desk every minute. Residents are instructed not to hold the door open (unless of course, you know the resident) and to provide their buzzcode to food delivery people (initial rule was for residents to come down to the lobby to pick up their food, but that changed to full delivery). Concierge is instructed to stop anyone they see who enter the lobby without using their fob - if that person is not recognized as an owner/tenant. Delivery people/guests who are buzzed in still need to check in with front desk.

A lot of times as I'm entering the main lobby from outside and I see someone I don;t recognize loitering at the entrance/intercom and they follow me in when I open the door, I'll pass front desk to see if they'll stop to check in. If no guard is there and they don't stop and keep following me to the next set of fob activated doors, which allows access to the entire building, I'll pause and politely mention to them that guests (or deliveries) are required to sign in. Simple as that. I won't push the issue any more. Some actually stop, but quite a few also keep following me.. At that point, I'll just turn off to the mail room or stop and sit in the lobby to check my messages/check emails. Usually over those couple minutes, the guard shows up and sees the person hanging around and asks if they need help/tell them they need to sign in.

This also happens in office buildings as previously mentioned. On our floor, we had a full height glass/metal turnstile installed - only one person can enter per card swipe.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9102 posts
2060 upvotes
Trump University
the_hoff wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 5:30 pm
I live in an upscale condo as well. It does happen.

The concierge can't man the desk every minute. Residents are instructed not to hold the door open (unless of course, you know the resident) and to provide their buzzcode to food delivery people (initial rule was for residents to come down to the lobby to pick up their food, but that changed to full delivery). Concierge is instructed to stop anyone they see who enter the lobby without using their fob - if that person is not recognized as an owner/tenant. Delivery people/guests who are buzzed in still need to check in with front desk.

A lot of times as I'm entering the main lobby from outside and I see someone I don;t recognize loitering at the entrance/intercom and they follow me in when I open the door, I'll pass front desk to see if they'll stop to check in. If no guard is there and they don't stop and keep following me to the next set of fob activated doors, which allows access to the entire building, I'll pause and politely mention to them that guests (or deliveries) are required to sign in. Simple as that. I won't push the issue any more. Some actually stop, but quite a few also keep following me.. At that point, I'll just turn off to the mail room or stop and sit in the lobby to check my messages/check emails. Usually over those couple minutes, the guard shows up and sees the person hanging around and asks if they need help/tell them they need to sign in.

This also happens in office buildings as previously mentioned. On our floor, we had a full height glass/metal turnstile installed - only one person can enter per card swipe.
I've never seen the concierge not there in my condo and I go out unusual times like 4-5am in the morning. There is at least 1 if not 2 people at the front at all times, never is it empty.

I've never seen a situation like this. You can do the math, how many people are in a building? On average well say 700-800 people in a 30 floor building. So according to Dunbar's number you can possibly only recognize maybe 100 people by face which would leave a massive lineup at the front door with the other 700 people, and we all know this isn't the case. No one asks 7 out of 8 people they pass by, especially when you're exiting the building and have to be somewhere, you just don't have time for games or chit chat
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3925 posts
415 upvotes
Ottawa
I used to be a security guard at a front desk of an office building. The client's rules were that everyone who passed by was supposed to show me their building pass. It was a small building, though, so we got to know just about everyone in the building. Occasionally there would be a person who we wouldn't recognize for various reasons (maybe they were new, maybe they normally didn't come in during our shift hours, etc.. so if they happened to be a person we didn't recognize we would ask to see their pass. Sometimes they happened to be white, sometimes they happened to be black.

One day a person came in who I didn't recognize and who happened to be black came in. I asked to see his pass, and while he obliged he clearly seemed to wonder why I had singled him out. I never heard back about it, so I figure he just didn't think much of it and moved on. For all he knew, maybe I would only ask to see the ID of black people. The reality was, I've asked plenty of white people to see their ID. Of course, he wouldn't have known that.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1254 posts
234 upvotes
So what I’m gathering from this is to never buy a condo, people shutting the door on your face, concierge checking everyone that comes in lol wow my gf used to live in a condo and she could only have a visitors pass for 15 days out of a 30 day month like wtf parking lot was always empty. Good ole mondeo drive baby, no we live in a 10 acre place and don’t even see the neighbors or talk to them. How much is peace and quiet worth to you, A ton.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9102 posts
2060 upvotes
Trump University
shawn01 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 10:18 am
So what I’m gathering from this is to never buy a condo, people shutting the door on your face, concierge checking everyone that comes in lol wow my gf used to live in a condo and she could only have a visitors pass for 15 days out of a 30 day month like wtf parking lot was always empty. Good ole mondeo drive baby, no we live in a 10 acre place and don’t even see the neighbors or talk to them. How much is peace and quiet worth to you, A ton.
It's all fake. No one shuts the door in anyone's face and people don't know all 700 residents + guests.

I really don't know where all this stuff is coming from :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9102 posts
2060 upvotes
Trump University
Looks like I what I thought, they decided to charge her with murder. Manslaughter wasn't possible since she intended to shoot him, it wasn't like an accident or anything
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
2072 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
Corleone187 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 6:47 pm
Looks like I what I thought, they decided to charge her with murder. Manslaughter wasn't possible since she intended to shoot him, it wasn't like an accident or anything
Considering how many of the usual suspects who tried to justify this shooting. Guess the grand jury was mistaken in the indictment for murder.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3925 posts
415 upvotes
Ottawa
maddawg wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 7:52 pm
Considering how many of the usual suspects who tried to justify this shooting. Guess the grand jury was mistaken in the indictment for murder.
By "usual suspects" do you mean "people who don't rush to conclusions and want to wait to see until the event is investigated"?
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3466 posts
386 upvotes
Scarborough
kenchau wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 9:57 am
I know it's inefficient. But I'm speaking from experience where we've had incidents at both work office and condo building. It's been brought up as a concern at our Condo AGMs from residents. Whether it's food delivery or what have you, they just walk on through, when visitors should be buzzing up regardless. Break ins do happen.

My point is, if it's not someone you recognize, doesn't hurt to ask. If someone didn't recognize me and asked if I lived in my building, how difficult is it for me to just let them be on their way, and just tap myself in with a fob. Not difficult at all.

Why make something out of nothing. A Condo building is not a public place, it's a private community of homeowners and residents who need to all share in ensuring it's a safe and secure space. Concierge isn't at the desk every second of the day. They will do the same thing and ask people walking on through that they don't recognize, if they live in the building.

A good rule to follow is myob. If the man was white, would she have spent all that time harrasing him? Probably not. She profiled him and tried to do the securities job. If I were him, I'd also be upset and wouldn't show her anything. Who the hell does she think she is?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5746 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
blaznazn22 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 8:13 am
A good rule to follow is myob. If the man was white, would she have spent all that time harrasing him? Probably not. She profiled him and tried to do the securities job. If I were him, I'd also be upset and wouldn't show her anything. Who the hell does she think she is?
She is a resident of the building and has a right to ask. All you see is a video from a black man who assumes he's been racially profiled, but she might have done the same to a white man or woman.

Condo is a private home community, not a public place. Period.

You don't MYOB when it's your home. Or are you okay with randoms walking into your property, down the side of your house or into your backyard?