Off Topic

Cop goes home and shoots and kills stranger in her home - woops cop went to wrong unit - now arrested and charged

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 4:10 pm
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3459 posts
386 upvotes
Scarborough
kenchau wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 7:17 pm
She is a resident of the building and has a right to ask. All you see is a video from a black man who assumes he's been racially profiled, but she might have done the same to a white man or woman.

Condo is a private home community, not a public place. Period.

You don't MYOB when it's your home. Or are you okay with randoms walking into your property, down the side of your house or into your backyard?
Stop kidding yourself. She profiled him, and she never would have done the same thing to a white man. That's the fact.

Also, the security is there for a reason, it's not her business to play security. The security asks not to open door for strangers but there is no policy at any condo for a resident to physically and verbally confront another person stranger or not. Its abuse of a person's rights as you can see clearly and what if that person she confronted really did turn out to be dangerous? I guess she'd win Darwin's award in that case.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5741 posts
1315 upvotes
Mississauga
blaznazn22 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 10:02 pm
Stop kidding yourself. She profiled him, and she never would have done the same thing to a white man. That's the fact.

Also, the security is there for a reason, it's not her business to play security. The security asks not to open door for strangers but there is no policy at any condo for a resident to physically and verbally confront another person stranger or not. Its abuse of a person's rights as you can see clearly and what if that person she confronted really did turn out to be dangerous? I guess she'd win Darwin's award in that case.
Asking if a person lives in the same building and not letting them follow you in is not an abuse of a person's right. Every resident is given a fob, so they should be able to get in of their own accord. As a resident of a condo building, I am not required to let anyone in with me - not my responsibility to.

You clearly don't understand the difference between public property and a home community (which is private property).
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10100 posts
1899 upvotes
Montréal
I understand both sides' reasoning, but sometimes one's gotta handle things w/ kid gloves because the accused was probably subjected to many of these 'inquisitions' in his life and has a chip on his shoulder and will take it the wrong way even if the accuser would ask any strange person. It's a tricky balancing act.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5741 posts
1315 upvotes
Mississauga
tranquility922 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 2:11 pm
I understand both sides' reasoning, but sometimes one's gotta handle things w/ kid gloves because the accused was probably subjected to many of these 'inquisitions' in his life and has a chip on his shoulder and will take it the wrong way even if the accuser would ask any strange person. It's a tricky balancing act.
It is. But my whole point was, if you live there. Let the door close, tap in on your own with the fob to be done with the whole matter.

Instead of going through the trouble, hassle, and effort to pull out your phone and start recording. All these other folks can't see the simplicity of that.

Furthermore, if you have a chip on your shoulder, and you misinterpret something that can be plausible, that's your own fault - not another person's fault.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10100 posts
1899 upvotes
Montréal
kenchau wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 2:40 pm
It is. But my whole point was, if you live there. Let the door close, tap in on your own with the fob to be done with the whole matter.

Instead of going through the trouble, hassle, and effort to pull out your phone and start recording. All these other folks can't see the simplicity of that.

Furthermore, if you have a chip on your shoulder, and you misinterpret something that can be plausible, that's your own fault - not another person's fault.
I'm assuming neither of us are that ethnicity, but I can imagine how tiresome it would be to be questioned more often than others. Not sure how it wouldn't get at anyone after a while, that constant harassment, whether or not justified. Ppl need more compassion and understanding where others are coming from.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5741 posts
1315 upvotes
Mississauga
tranquility922 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 2:54 pm
I'm assuming neither of us are that ethnicity, but I can imagine how tiresome it would be to be questioned more often than others. Not sure how it wouldn't get at anyone after a while, that constant harassment, whether or not justified. Ppl need more compassion and understanding where others are coming from.
(I am a visible minority)

Of course it would. But in this case we're dealing with a private residence. It would be completely different if he was just walking along the street and suddenly getting questioned.

End of the day, would you rather:
a) spend 10 seconds - let the door close, allow yourself in and be on your way...stress free, without any angst; or
b) waste your precious evening time - forcing yourself through the doorway behind someone else, and have to continue to deal with all that attitude that you're clearly not in the mood for.

It's pretty easy.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10100 posts
1899 upvotes
Montréal
kenchau wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 3:48 pm
(I am a visible minority)

Of course it would. But in this case we're dealing with a private residence. It would be completely different if he was just walking along the street and suddenly getting questioned.

End of the day, would you rather:
a) spend 10 seconds - let the door close, allow yourself in and be on your way...stress free, without any angst; or
b) waste your precious evening time - forcing yourself through the doorway behind someone else, and have to continue to deal with all that attitude that you're clearly not in the mood for.

It's pretty easy.
Ya, but you're not African. Cmon, East Asians have it much easier.

That's the very logical road, but maybe the dude was having a bad day, got questioned many times also, all the pent-up frustration from past encounters. Can't you see his side, how would you like being questioned to enter into your own home? Anyway, there's no real right answer, just how diff ppl would have handled it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5741 posts
1315 upvotes
Mississauga
tranquility922 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 3:53 pm
Ya, but you're not African. Cmon, East Asians have it much easier.

That's the very logical road, but maybe the dude was having a bad day, got questioned many times also, all the pent-up frustration from past encounters. Can't you see his side, how would you like being questioned to enter into your own home? Anyway, there's no real right answer, just how diff ppl would have handled it.
There is no right or wrong answer. There is only escalation or de-escalation. He chose to escalate. It's that simple.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10100 posts
1899 upvotes
Montréal
kenchau wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 6:29 pm
There is no right or wrong answer. There is only escalation or de-escalation. He chose to escalate. It's that simple.
Sure, I personally would've done what you suggested because I'm virtually never subjected to this stuff, but, again, if you were asked countless times for proof to enter into your own home, you might be offering a different view.
Feb 21, 2018
52 posts
60 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 6:29 pm
And now the lady lost her job... Wonder who was in the wrong Thinking Face. If your not law enforcement, security, my employer, or my parents, I don't have to answer to you. So GTFO the way.
Proud Sodomite 😋
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5741 posts
1315 upvotes
Mississauga
lebronjames1 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 9:53 am
And now the lady lost her job... Wonder who was in the wrong Thinking Face. If your not law enforcement, security, my employer, or my parents, I don't have to answer to you. So GTFO the way.
Yeah, so if a stranger wants to walk into your home GTFO. :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10100 posts
1899 upvotes
Montréal
That's what happens when ppl can't sympathize and put themselves in other ppl's shoes. The woman shouldn't have been fired but should've handled it w/ kid gloves because the target is obviously very sensitive to these types of prejudicial checks (regardless if she herself had no ill-intent), and the guy shouldn't have over-reacted either.
Feb 21, 2018
52 posts
60 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 5:51 pm
Yeah, so if a stranger wants to walk into your home GTFO. :facepalm:
Didn't know you lived in a front lobby/hallway? If you live in a condo,HOA, gated community, etc, leave the security to security guards that are paid for by your fees and are more qualified than you! If you feel uncomfortable then call the security and report it. Did Trayvon die nothing?
Proud Sodomite 😋
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5741 posts
1315 upvotes
Mississauga
lebronjames1 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 6:26 pm
Didn't know you lived in a front lobby/hallway? If you live in a condo,HOA, gated community, etc, leave the security to security guards that are paid for by your fees and are more qualified than you! If you feel uncomfortable then call the security and report it. Did Trayvon die nothing?
I guess you're the type that will just watch someone drown and leave the saving to life guards even if you could swim and was right there able to save a life. :facepalm:
Feb 21, 2018
52 posts
60 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 6:50 pm
I guess you're the type that will just watch someone drown and leave the saving to life guards even if you could swim and was right there able to save a life. :facepalm:
What a foolish statement. Are you really comparing someone in need of urgent help, in a life and death situation, to someone who "possibly" should not be where they are? You are delusional.
Proud Sodomite 😋