Automotive

A cop pulled me over for speeding, without a radar

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2013 6:14 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 28, 2007
2807 posts
753 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
MyCarMe wrote:
May 24th, 2013 8:41 pm
Can I argue that the cops eyes weren't precise and reliable to write me a ticket?
You first need evidence that the cops eyes weren't precise and reliable ... then you can argue it.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17777 posts
1766 upvotes
Space for rent
some people severly lack common sense and basic rules od the road. you van be busted for going 1km over the limit.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
20337 posts
4297 upvotes
Poormond Hill
MyCarMe wrote:
May 24th, 2013 8:41 pm
The cop didn't have a radar. He estimated that I was speeding. I was going 70 at a 50 zone. up to 60 is legal. There were cars going much faster than me. Because I was going slower the cop was able to get his hands on me.

Can I argue that the cops eyes weren't precise and reliable to write me a ticket?
Op go and fight it! Tell the court you was targeted simply because of your race.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24962 posts
5244 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
May 25th, 2013 3:54 am
some people severly lack common sense and basic rules od the road. you van be busted for going 1km over the limit.
True but I can actually see someone getting a lame ticket like that. While at the same time you can drive in the leftmost lane at or under the speed limit all the live-long day and probably never get busted. Make turns into any lane you please, instead of the lane you're supposed to, never get busted there either. Jam/ride the brakes at random for absolutely no reason at all, for more good times. Run every amber light you please, don't worry about it! Do pretty much whatever other dangerous nonsense you want and not get busted either. But don't you dare speed, because then some loser cop will be there to make the bust :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 4, 2009
7688 posts
777 upvotes
North York
MyCarMe wrote:
May 24th, 2013 8:41 pm
The cop didn't have a radar. He estimated that I was speeding. I was going 70 at a 50 zone. up to 60 is legal. There were cars going much faster than me. Because I was going slower the cop was able to get his hands on me.

Can I argue that the cops eyes weren't precise and reliable to write me a ticket?
The legal speed limit is 50km/h. That means any speed over 50 km/h is illegal.

I believe what OP is referring to is a "leeway" of 10% for speedometer error.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 24, 2007
3070 posts
817 upvotes
Toronto
10% off a 100 on 401 would be 110...i have many times done 120 consistantly with a cop following behind and never been pulled over

There is no such thing as leeway rule or 10% or speedomotor error, its the cops judgement but usually upto 10 over on streets and 20 on highway you are
Ok...but again you could still be busted
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 28, 2007
2807 posts
753 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
MyCarMe wrote:
May 24th, 2013 8:41 pm
I was going 70 at a 50 zone. up to 60 is legal.
Hmmm! How did you manage to pass your driver's license test? Which province?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
6914 posts
662 upvotes
TO
lol this thread is EPIC. Thanks for the laughs guys I needed it

[QUOTE]Op go and fight it! Tell the court you was targeted simply because of your race.
[/QUOTE]
Jr. Member
Dec 1, 2009
170 posts
98 upvotes
Please fight it in court and use your argument.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
20495 posts
1954 upvotes
Toronto
silky28 wrote:
May 25th, 2013 4:39 pm
fight everything
+2.....fight everything.....

OP, use this website to guide you in fighting the ticket.....

http://www.ticketcombat.com/

I have used this website as a guide with much success.....the important thing to keep in mind is to raise doubt about the cop's judgement about the offense and the situation...

Things to think about:

- where was the cop located to assess your speed ? (behind you, in front of you, to the side)
- were there cars around you that might affect the cop's judgement

The website actually has a section on fighting speeding tickets.....it will help immensely!

Gluck!

FS: Blackberry PRIV
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 24, 2006
10087 posts
627 upvotes
Mississauga
How can people honestly tell the OP to fight it, clog the courts, when the OP doesn't know what a maximum speed limit means...
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1866 posts
496 upvotes
Hometown
If you are going to fight it, you need disclosure on how the officer decided you were speeding. If there was no radar then there are specific other means of determining your speed. Once you find out what method he used and as mention before most importantly, where he was in relation to your car, then you can try to discredit him. Remember though the cops can and will lie through their teeth to get you to plead guilty, then miraculously they are supposed to have to tell the truth on the stand in court. That is why hiring someone might help you if there was no radar, because they will see if the cop followed the proper procedure for "guessing" your speed from the disclosure and see if he changes his story in court.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1866 posts
496 upvotes
Hometown
Tijuana wrote:
May 25th, 2013 10:37 pm
How can people honestly tell the OP to fight it, clog the courts, when the OP doesn't know what a maximum speed limit means...
Only because everyone is entitled to their day in court under the law in our country... no distinctions are made in the law for being properly informed on what the laws actually are LOL. Does the term ignorance of the law is no defence ring a bell? Mainly though I would advise ANYBODY to do anything they can in Ontario to fight a traffic ticket because how badly run our Auto Insurance is. The long term costs for going 10 to 20K over the speed limit are just too high to not try and fight it.

Top