lmao hilarious thread I love you RFD members
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20495 posts
1954 upvotes
Toronto
Tijuana wrote:
May 25th, 2013 10:37 pm
How can people honestly tell the OP to fight it, clog the courts, when the OP doesn't know what a maximum speed limit means...
Maybe because the cops also play a part in clogging up the courts with additional tickets......I find the entire system flawed and the industry built up around these "tickets" a sham....

Last year, I had a cop pull me over for "failure to stop at a stop sign"......when I pulled over and he asked me why didn't I stop, I replied "But I did stop" (which I did) and he got angry and promptly wrote me a ticket.

Luckily I had a witness and photographed in detail different angles from where the cop was positioned (also asked for disclosure notes) and when it was my day in trial, the cop was nowhere to be seen.

What a waste of time/resources as I had to take a day-off to go to court and the cop didn't even show. That day, the court dismissed approx. 20-25 tickets (probably issued by the same cop)....

Also, the "speed traps" that they set up every month to catch "speeders" at a certain area near my in-laws is a joke.....a cash grab for the city if anything....

That is why I suggest everyone fight their tickets each chance they get.....if you can't beat the system, might as well join in and clog the system....

The cops and city are banking on people to just pay the fine and leave it be.....but I have learned to never do that...always fight it...

FS: Blackberry PRIV
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
161 upvotes
Next time this happens say this to the cop....

Wha gwan poo poo.... We both know I was speeding right .....but I know do didn't have that radar thing working right now seen.... So I'm a keep on going down the street and everything will be cris between us aiight?!?!
Jul 18, 2006
184 posts
6 upvotes
Edmonton
the road design speed is 60 km/hr. Posted is 50. You were going the design speed.
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14968 posts
1926 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
I didn't know that in a 50km/h max zone that up to 60km/h is legal. Thanks OP! So maybe if I go 62km/h the police will not care.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5180 posts
272 upvotes
Pacing is a valid method of determining if you are speeding. No radar needed.
This space for rent.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5317 posts
875 upvotes
MyCarMe wrote:
May 24th, 2013 8:41 pm
The cop didn't have a radar. He estimated that I was speeding. I was going 70 at a 50 zone. up to 60 is legal. There were cars going much faster than me. Because I was going slower the cop was able to get his hands on me.

Can I argue that the cops eyes weren't precise and reliable to write me a ticket?
No it isn't. 50 is the max in a 50 zone, that is why it is a 50 zone, not 60
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
MyCarMe wrote:
May 24th, 2013 8:41 pm
a 50 zone. up to 60 is legal.
People likes to make all kind of excuses for their own action ....
Hey the 401 is 100 zone and up to 120 is legal!

You should also argue that in court, your ticket should be halved because you should only be charged for the 60-70 difference rather than 50-70.
May 23, 2012
413 posts
61 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
ES_Revenge wrote:
May 25th, 2013 8:59 am
True but I can actually see someone getting a lame ticket like that. While at the same time you can drive in the leftmost lane at or under the speed limit all the live-long day and probably never get busted. Make turns into any lane you please, instead of the lane you're supposed to, never get busted there either. Jam/ride the brakes at random for absolutely no reason at all, for more good times. Run every amber light you please, don't worry about it! Do pretty much whatever other dangerous nonsense you want and not get busted either. But don't you dare speed, because then some loser cop will be there to make the bust :rolleyes:
+1. So true that it hurts. In Canada cops don't even try to educate bad drivers with fines. It's only speeding and DUI that matters.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5431 posts
1041 upvotes
Canada (and most countries) can filter out 99% of the bad drivers by adopting the German system. Charge between €2,000-€4,000 and require 14 hours of mandatory theory and physical exams. NO reciprocity between any other country.

Emphasize the 14 hours of theory. It'll make most RFDer's brains explode.

Oh, don't forget these unwritten Canadian rules:
Hazard lights grant immunity from all rules while on.
BMW/MB/Lexus/Audi/Escalade means "diplomatic immunity" in their respective language.
Signalling is optional if you drive one of the above brands.
Rolling stopping is acceptable.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
May 23, 2012
413 posts
61 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
rf134a wrote:
May 27th, 2013 11:00 am
Canada (and most countries) can filter out 99% of the bad drivers by adopting the German system. Charge between €2,000-€4,000 and require 14 hours of mandatory theory and physical exams. NO reciprocity between any other country.

Emphasize the 14 hours of theory. It'll make most RFDer's brains explode.

Oh, don't forget these unwritten Canadian rules:
Hazard lights grant immunity from all rules while on.
BMW/MB/Lexus/Audi/Escalade means "diplomatic immunity" in their respective language.
Signalling is optional if you drive one of the above brands.
Rolling stopping is acceptable.
Also, don't forget as long as the driver (regardless of the brand of the car) considers that he/she is more important than everyone else, it is OK to drive however they feel like to get there 2 seconds faster by cutting everyone off
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2003
2726 posts
150 upvotes
nano wrote:
May 24th, 2013 11:17 pm
my rule of thumb when speeding (in the states) never be the lone speeder or at the beginning or the end of the pack of speeding traffic.... cops are lazy and the will stop the person that is the easiest to stop.
+1

best advice I read today
(\______
(='.'=)
(\__/)
(")_(")
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2003
2726 posts
150 upvotes
sixsixii wrote:
May 26th, 2013 11:23 pm
the road design speed is 60 km/hr. Posted is 50. You were going the design speed.
Ontario is not BC.

Since day 1, I have ALWAYS broken the speed limit laws in Mississauga/Toronto, each and every year and day.
I'm 99% sure this applies to 99% of you.

Even on those days when stuck for 2 hrs in bumper-to-bumper traffic on 401 doing 5 kph avg, I may do 62kph downhill in 60kph zone, enter parking lot at 25kph when its marked 15, and merrily continue doing 58.36 kph
despite construction signs saying slow. Yet nobody wants me to drive for lunch, because I'm the "slowpoke".

To be able to fit under the maximum, you would need to drive slower due to margin of error. Say 95 kph on highway and 45 kph in city.
Some extremists beside each other, tried doing 100 kph on 400 and were arrested for obstructing traffic.
Obviously, the speeding ticket system doesn't work... since 99% of us are speeding 99% of the time (yes 100.2 kph on highway counts).

If anything, the plethora of signs just adds to confusion. And anytime there's a cop speed trap, there's an inevitable traffic jam.

And why?

Some planner put a school next to major avenue, so everybody MUST slow down to 50. For the courtesy of not fixing the whole street the 1st time, the construction crew forces you to slow to see what they're not doing.
And of course those NEVER followed max speed on curve signs.

The problem is always that the vast majority is unnecessarily inconvenienced over a POTENTIAL hazzard. Would you arbitrarily force everybody to do 40 kph on highways throughout the whole winter because it MIGHT snow?

My solution:
Make speeds on roads constant. Arterial avenue with school or senior home - crosswalk (I rarely see anybody using them anymore). Problem with jaywalking - put up a fence.
What's the point of these useless signs which nobody follows and interrupt smooth flow of traffic. Everybody knows once green turns orange, "anything goes".

I'm going to guess that most accidents happen at the lights and parking lots, far away from 60 turning to "50 begins".
(\______
(='.'=)
(\__/)
(")_(")