Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
33 upvotes

Cord Blood Banks. did u do it?

5 mins after watching the DVD that came with the brochure, we both wanted to do it. Then after some careful thought, talking to people and research, we decided it wasn't worth it. I think those companys try to take advantage of parents emotions (especially 1st timers). Basically, they make you feel that if you don't do this, then you're a bad parent.

If I did have an excess amount of $$, then i probably would. But If I did have that much money, I probably wouldn't be on RFD.

So did you bank your child's cord blood?
I put that money into an RESP instead.
14 replies
Sep 15, 2003
79 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
We've decided to donate our cord blood to the Alberta Cord Blood bank (a public bank). In the ideal world, if everyone donated, then if our kids need it in the future, there will be some compatible stuff in the pool. (crosses fingers)

Along the same lines, both of us are in the Unrelated Bone Marrow registry...
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3466 posts
470 upvotes
Markham
Don't let people guilt you into it. The chance of you actually using the cord blood is very small. This should be the last thing on your list as far as budgeting goes for the baby.

Public banking is great option also. Although, if you're an ethnic minority, or if you're baby is a special ethnic mix, the public bank may not help you much.

Keep in mind that if your baby does have a genetic illness, you can't use its own cord blood to treat it. And until expansion technology is a reality, there aren't enough cells to treat adults.

Having said that, we did it anyways. After the initial processing fees, it works out to less than $10/month for the storage fee. I do realize it's like playing a lotto you don't want to win.

This link is a good read, and is less bias than a core bank company's marketing materials:

http://www.bchealthguide.org/kbase/dp/t ... 634/dp.htm
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6240 posts
90 upvotes
ricoboxing wrote:
Aug 16th, 2007 9:51 am
5 mins after watching the DVD that came with the brochure, we both wanted to do it. Then after some careful thought, talking to people and research, we decided it wasn't worth it. I think those companys try to take advantage of parents emotions (especially 1st timers). Basically, they make you feel that if you don't do this, then you're a bad parent.
Welcome to parenthood. They do this with everything.. buy an alarm system so that your family feels secure, buy a 1500$ stroller because baby will be safer, ... Just do what you did: take your time and research.
Jul 8, 2004
627 posts
4 upvotes
GTA
mart242 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2007 3:09 pm
Welcome to parenthood. They do this with everything.. buy an alarm system so that your family feels secure, buy a 1500$ stroller because baby will be safer, ... Just do what you did: take your time and research.
:cheesygri somebody been reading that stroller thread
Mar 24, 2007
628 posts
11 upvotes
We looked into cord blood banking with our first, but decided that we would rather donate. Then we looked into the Alberta Cord Blood Bank and I think that we didn't qualify. I would love to see more people donate. For anyone who is thinking about it, don't leave it too long as you can't just decide to donate a week before the baby is born. I don't remember the details but someone posted a link to the Alberta Cord Blood Bank, so you could check it out there if you are interested.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1495 posts
40 upvotes
Maple
We just picked up our kit yesterday, after deciding to do it. Like everyone else, we were very skeptical. We spoke to a family relative who is the head of pediatrics in one of our local hospitals, and asked his opinion. He too was a bit skeptical a few years ago, until he actually heard of a case where a child was saved by using the cord blood that had been saved. It turns out his friend runs the clinic (Cells for Life), and he told us that he would recommend it.
Apr 5, 2003
749 posts
129 upvotes
White Rock, BC
We donated it with our first and will do so again with our second.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
33 upvotes
noodles wrote:
Aug 17th, 2007 12:19 pm
We donated it with our first and will do so again with our second.
i wasn't even aware that u could donate it, probably would have if the hospital or someone asked.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1564 upvotes
Never heard of it. Must be something new
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
969 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Donating it has been an option for at least 12 years that I know of. We donated our youngest's cord blood. At that time cord blood banking was just becoming an option and it was way more than we were willing to pay, IIRC at that time it was something like $2500+ the yearly fees. We talked with my OB and asked about donating at and he looked into it and discovered that we could...
Aug 25, 2006
714 posts
95 upvotes
i was considering it but when i asked more questions and they couldnt give me the answer...i decided not to.

ask them what happens if their containment should fail - do you get reimbursed for the money spent on storing it for nothing?

i think you can always hear that "friend hear from a friend that someone was saved because of ..." but if that was the case, wouldnt it be in the news? i think that would be newsworthy and would increase their sales for sure.

any way, to each his own...i think its a money grab and it plays on our insecurities....imho
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3466 posts
470 upvotes
Markham
xcell wrote:
Aug 17th, 2007 7:48 pm
i was considering it but when i asked more questions and they couldnt give me the answer...i decided not to.

ask them what happens if their containment should fail - do you get reimbursed for the money spent on storing it for nothing?

i think you can always hear that "friend hear from a friend that someone was saved because of ..." but if that was the case, wouldnt it be in the news? i think that would be newsworthy and would increase their sales for sure.

any way, to each his own...i think its a money grab and it plays on our insecurities....imho
There's only been a few handful of people who were actually treated with cord blood cells. Most people wouldn't even know a "friend of a friend" who's been treated. It's that rare, so don't buy into marketing over-hype.

They will also sell you on the future potentials for the product, which is interesting but who knows if anything will come out of all the research.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Mar 5, 2002
750 posts
37 upvotes
Jonavin wrote:
Aug 16th, 2007 2:50 pm
Don't let people guilt you into it. The chance of you actually using the cord blood is very small. This should be the last thing on your list as far as budgeting goes for the baby.

Public banking is great option also. Although, if you're an ethnic minority, or if you're baby is a special ethnic mix, the public bank may not help you much.

Keep in mind that if your baby does have a genetic illness, you can't use its own cord blood to treat it. And until expansion technology is a reality, there aren't enough cells to treat adults.

Having said that, we did it anyways. After the initial processing fees, it works out to less than $10/month for the storage fee. I do realize it's like playing a lotto you don't want to win.

This link is a good read, and is less bias than a core bank company's marketing materials:

http://www.bchealthguide.org/kbase/dp/t ... 634/dp.htm

Now I haven't read any of the hyperlinks related to this question, but as Jonavin above has stated; if you and your spouse are healthy and racially similar, than there is a good chance that in the event something were to occur to your child, there is a chance of finding a match should it ever be requried.

Now in my case with Bees, her being Eastern European and myself being of Asian decent, our blended child would have a considerably lower chance of finding a match, and based on our research decided that we would bank the cord blood. We did it with our first, and will most likely do it with our second (99% but I have to confirm).

Although the initial fees are pretty high (I think it was $1500 initially and then something like $10/month thereafter, but I'm not sure...my wife would more concretely know), it's doable.

One thing to remember is that cord blood banking is pretty much an insurance policy for your child. It's another option in the event something should go horribly wrong, and who knows what it can be used for in the future.

Best thing to hope for, is that your child will never need their cord blood, but at the same time, knowing as a parent that should anything occur, you did everything possible to help ensure the safety and health of your child.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do it, but I'm far too cautious, and always like to have backups to my backup plans.

Cheers!
Tano :D