None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
1316 posts
49 upvotes
St. John's

CoreMicro SD Cards?

I'm looking to purchase a new SD card for my D5000. What do you guys recommend? I see these CoreMicro SD cards at Future Shop. They are pretty cheap, so I'm wondering if I should pick one up or lay down some more cash for higher quality?

What are the general things I should be looking for? I would imagine 16gb is the minimum I would get. Should I get a class 6 or would a class 4 suffice?

Thanks!
Nikita wrote:
Dec 9th, 2008 12:46 pm
Why are so many people have reading comprehension problems this today?
29 replies
Sep 30, 2007
34 posts
2 upvotes
I don't have any experience with the Core Micro brand myself but the lone review on Futureshop's website doesn't look too promising. I do know quite a few people that have lost photos because of cheap SD cards.

I've got D90 and I have 2 Panasonic gold cards which are Class 6, I haven't had any issues with them. Those are 8GB cards and I can fit 500-600 RAW files on one card or around 1,400 or so jpegs.

If you need more GB's Henry's has a Panasonic 12GB class 4 on for $49.99.

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... mID=247451

Or you can get the Panasonic 8GB class 10 at Futureshop for $59.99. I have this card and I don't notice any improvement over my 8GB Panasonic gold class 6 cards.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN

I wouldn't get too hung up on card classes, I believe that you can get a good class 4 card that out performs a cheap class 6 card.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5831 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
Why don't you just go to Canada Computers and pick up an 8GB Class 6 for $20?

They work perfectly fine.

I've used core micro cards, and they're fine for what they do.
They were used in a compact digital camera. So not really heavy writing.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
Dude, just spend $20 more and get a SanDisk

it's not like you're buying something that will get replaced tomorrow.
You spent $600-700 on dSLR and lens and dont want to spend $20 more for good memory card?
you will thank me later when you will sit in front of PC and not wait an hour before pictures from memory card reader are xfer'd
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2725 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Seriously,
Buy a Sandisk or Lexar or Panasonic.
They are the top brands when it comes to SD cards.
Storage wise, theres no difference between them and cheap cards.
But reliability (as in them not failing on you WHILE you are on vacation/have photos on it) is way better.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
1316 posts
49 upvotes
St. John's
Lulz wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 2:40 am
Dude, just spend $20 more and get a SanDisk

it's not like you're buying something that will get replaced tomorrow.
You spent $600-700 on dSLR and lens and dont want to spend $20 more for good memory card?
you will thank me later when you will sit in front of PC and not wait an hour before pictures from memory card reader are xfer'd
I'm willing to spend what it takes to get a reliable card for my camera. I just don't want to buy a top of the line card if it's not necessary - that's why I asked.

Sounds like I should get a good name brand card, but what's everyone's take on speed? Should I get a class 6 or will class 4 do?
Nikita wrote:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
1316 posts
49 upvotes
St. John's
So I see that these are on sale today at Future Shop. Which would you get?

$84.99 on sale for $39.99. Link.

$99.99 on sale for $59.99. Link.

EDIT: Here's another one at Memory Express:

$50.99. Link.
Nikita wrote:
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14214 posts
1024 upvotes
Scarborough
Out of the three i think the sandisk is the fastest. I personally would go with the sandisk.
I used to be dah good, but then I took a chop stick to dah eye. So now I just...
Buy buy buy!

[size=0]-Asus P6T | Core i7 920 @4.0ghz | 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair H80 | Seasonic X-750W | XFX GTS250 1GB | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | WD Black 500GB, 1TB | WD 2TB Green | Antec 902
-13" MacBook Pro // Lenovo Thinkpad T410 | Core i5
-Acer AOD255 | Atom N550
-Asus Transformer TF101[/size]
Feb 5, 2009
750 posts
31 upvotes
May I ask why you are looking at 16GB cards?
Are you shooting Raw and Jpg and videos?

Do you need or want a bigger card?
why not two 8GB cards? At least then you got a main and a backup.
I like my sandisk ultra 8GB, but I also have some Stupidstore branded 4GB core micros that work too.
(but I don't take video on them either)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
1316 posts
49 upvotes
St. John's
Matrixvibe wrote:
Jan 30th, 2010 12:53 am
Out of the three i think the sandisk is the fastest. I personally would go with the sandisk.
I was wondering if the Sandisk is fastest or not... it's only a class 2.
dealCker wrote:
Jan 30th, 2010 2:33 am
May I ask why you are looking at 16GB cards?
Are you shooting Raw and Jpg and videos?

Do you need or want a bigger card?
why not two 8GB cards? At least then you got a main and a backup.
I like my sandisk ultra 8GB, but I also have some Stupidstore branded 4GB core micros that work too.
(but I don't take video on them either)
Looking at 16gb b/c I shoot in both RAW and jpeg. My D5000 also takes 720p videos, so I don't want to run out of room.
Nikita wrote:
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7679 posts
811 upvotes
You're not going to run out of room. 16GB is huge, I have one and I have never been able to fill it up in one day of shooting... my 16GB can fit 1200 12MP raws easy.

And get a fast card, speed is more important... you'll realize this when you're shooting and waiting 3 to 4 seconds for a picture to pop up on your screen for review after you've taken it versus the picture popping up almost instantly with a faster card. Much more worth it to get a fast 8GB versus a slow 16GB.
Barayolayosa wrote:
Jan 30th, 2010 9:56 am
I was wondering if the Sandisk is fastest or not... it's only a class 2.
Actually the SD Ultra II is Class 15.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Feb 5, 2009
750 posts
31 upvotes
Winkle wrote:
Jan 30th, 2010 10:56 am
You're not going to run out of room. 16GB is huge, I have one and I have never been able to fill it up in one day of shooting... my 16GB can fit 1200 12MP raws easy.

And get a fast card, speed is more important... you'll realize this when you're shooting and waiting 3 to 4 seconds for a picture to pop up on your screen for review after you've taken it versus the picture popping up almost instantly with a faster card. Much more worth it to get a fast 8GB versus a slow 16GB.

Actually the SD Ultra II is Class 15.
Agree, you'll probably have to recharge/change batterys before worring about running out of room. I would carry multiple 8GB cards over a 16 GB

The ultra II is 15MB/s I really don't think it's a class 15 as I don't think there is such a thing yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Dig ... ss_Ratings
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7679 posts
811 upvotes
dealCker wrote:
Jan 30th, 2010 11:42 am
Agree, you'll probably have to recharge/change batterys before worring about running out of room. I would carry multiple 8GB cards over a 16 GB

The ultra II is 15MB/s I really don't think it's a class 15 as I don't think there is such a thing yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Dig ... ss_Ratings
Technically there's no class 15, but class numbers are based on the max-write speeds of the card, so a class 4 or 6 card has a max write speed of 4 or 6 MBs/sec respectively... the Ultra II's write speed is 15 MBs/sec so it would be equivalent to class 15. SanDisk doesn't use the class system for their cards.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Feb 5, 2009
750 posts
31 upvotes
Winkle wrote:
Jan 30th, 2010 1:02 pm
Technically there's no class 15, but class numbers are based on the max-write speeds of the card, so a class 4 or 6 card has a max write speed of 4 or 6 MBs/sec respectively... the Ultra II's write speed is 15 MBs/sec so it would be equivalent to class 15. SanDisk doesn't use the class system for their cards.
Hate to disagree with ya, but that is the max write speed which doesn't represent the minimum write speed
As you will see from the links, sandisk classifies differently
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDSDRH-00 ... 966&sr=1-1
and
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Cla ... 966&sr=1-4

This makes it quite confusing, and for me I'll base it on the lowest common denominator or in this case minimum transfer rate.
if you want to look at some tests I and some others have noted Rob Galbraith's DB of transfer rates http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_ ... p?cid=6007

from the wiki link they specify the speed class is based on the minimum not maximum transfer rate.
"SD Speed Class Ratings

SD Cards and SDHC Cards have Speed Class Ratings defined by the SD Association. The SD Speed Class Ratings specify the following minimum write speeds based on "the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied":[8]

* Class 2: 2 MByte/s - 13x
* Class 4: 4 MByte/s - 26x
* Class 6: 6 MByte/s - 40x

SD and SDHC cards will often also advertise a maximum speed (such as 133x or 150x) in addition to this minimum Speed Class Rating. Important differences between the Speed Class and the traditional "X" speed ratings are;

1) the ability of the host device to query the SD card for the speed class
and determine the best location to store data that meets the performance required

2) class speed defines the minimum transfer speed. Even though the class ratings
are defined by a governing body, like "X" speed ratings, class speed ratings are quoted
by the manufacturers but unverified by any independent evaluation process."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
1316 posts
49 upvotes
St. John's
Yeah, the classes refer to the minimum write speed, and the Ultra II is a class 2 card. It says right on the card itself in the picture that I posted.

I don't think I'll even come close to filling a 16gb in day of shooting... it's more for vacations that I think I'll need to have more room, especially since I never vacation with a computer. I guess I could buy two 8gb, but why do that when you can just buy one 16gb?
Nikita wrote:
× < >