Corrosion free rustproofing in Ottawa

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2018 11:59 pm
[OP]
Apr 2, 2004
980 posts
15 upvotes

Corrosion free rustproofing in Ottawa

Anybody go to Holliday's or Trainyards this year for the corrosion free rustproofing? How was the service and price? Only two shops in Ottawa other than Canadian Tire who provide the service.
11 replies
Jul 24, 2014
155 posts
110 upvotes
Westmount, QC
I went to Trainyards Auto for Corrosion Free rustproofing a few weeks ago since the location of Holliday wasn’t convenient for me.

Overall it seems they did a decent job and spent quite a bit of time spraying the car. I was able to go into the garage and they and showed me where they sprayed.

They did charge for removal of underbody skid plates and other misc parts though. The total price ended up to be a little over $200 for a SUV including taxes.

It’s the first time I did CF so I don’t have a baseline to compare to. Previously I’ve always used Krown which was less expensive but application period was annually / 12 months as opposed to 18 months.
Sep 27, 2009
112 posts
35 upvotes
I have used both and both are good. Proximity and time would be factors for me.
Most recently I used Trainyards. Holiday is an old school shop and used him when he was in Little Italy. You will be fine with either.

In the true RFD way, I now DIY. Set of car ramps and 5 cans for 25.00 when CF goes on sale at TSC.
[OP]
Apr 2, 2004
980 posts
15 upvotes
I have a brand new white car. Will there be any left over spray on the bottom side of the car that would make it dirtier in the winter than it normally would be?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6171 posts
2449 upvotes
Alberta
Save your money. I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey that's never been rust proofed and I wax it about once in 5 years + and it has no rust on it (that I can see). I just rinse it off in the winter whenever there's a lot of salt on it.
Penalty Box
Nov 8, 2017
2192 posts
673 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 12:01 pm
Save your money. I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey that's never been rust proofed and I wax it about once in 5 years + and it has no rust on it (that I can see). I just rinse it off in the winter whenever there's a lot of salt on it.
Do you live in Ottawa region or Southern ON/QC?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6171 posts
2449 upvotes
Alberta
No but they salt and calcium chloride brine the living crap out of the roads here too. I've been to Ottawa/Orleans in the winter lots of times. It's no worse than here.
Penalty Box
Nov 8, 2017
2192 posts
673 upvotes
When did they start using calcium chloride?
Last edited by Bb0231 on Dec 25th, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4589 upvotes
Montreal
impronto wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 10:41 am
I have a brand new white car. Will there be any left over spray on the bottom side of the car that would make it dirtier in the winter than it normally would be?
Without question yes, will also leak at trunk lid. It's called gravity. Dunno about Corrosion free but the stuff that's applied in the doors and trunk is less viscous than what's applied undercarriage since they can not see what they're spraying. If they apply too much it will end coming out the drain holes. Otherwise you get a situation where the product misses entire areas. Probably not as bad as Krown (horrible and endless) but there will be some leakage especially on a mild day.
Sep 27, 2009
112 posts
35 upvotes
impronto wrote: I have a brand new white car. Will there be any left over spray on the bottom side of the car that would make it dirtier in the winter than it normally would be?
I have a White Truck. CF isn’t like Krown which drips everywhere including your garage floor/driveway. Some will say that is the benefit. We could also get into the Krown swelling all the rubber on door/hood/trunk seals too.

CF will make your car marginally dirtier, Krown will make it downright filthy.

BTW - the spray cans of CF are on sale at TSC TIL Jan 3rd. 4.75 per.
Jul 26, 2010
919 posts
85 upvotes
eastern Ontario
jaydog4 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 1:34 pm
I have a White Truck. CF isn’t like Krown which drips everywhere including your garage floor/driveway. Some will say that is the benefit. We could also get into the Krown swelling all the rubber on door/hood/trunk seals too.

CF will make your car marginally dirtier, Krown will make it downright filthy.

BTW - the spray cans of CF are on sale at TSC TIL Jan 3rd. 4.75 per.
Krown place that did my colorado said that they treat weatherstripping with something to prevent the Krown stuff from swelling it. I actually found a whitish liquid dripping onto the ground which might have been that treatment.
Oct 3, 2017
267 posts
182 upvotes
Every time I have gone to a highly rated Krown the time spent applying product takes less than 15 minutes. The rest of the time is the after rinse and a fast wipe. Often I have to go back because they missed installing a few plugs into holes.

Then again I used to go annually to Rust Check for like 12 years with 2 vehicles and they guy spent over an hour on each one. Both those cards rusted out and Rust Check refused compensation even though I had all the paper work. Anything about the glass line basically above the door handle is not covered. Shock/strut towers were rusted to hell and I had to replace the car because of that and they didn't pay for any of that either.

Better than nothing, most important is build quality and factory applied anti corrosion measures.

Might give trainyards CF a try this year. I should get one of my cars done and probably not Krown.