Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey [Blu-ray] $24 at amazon.ca

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2015 10:26 pm
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1801 posts
1266 upvotes
I picked it up on ebay at release for $20. For these kinda things, if you keep an eye on ebay you'll prob. get a better deal as this has pretty limited appeal.
Great series, btw. Wish they hadnt used as many cartoons to tell the history stories though. The original series(With Sagan, only available on DVD) holds up better, even if the information is dated or flat-out incorrect now.
Sep 12, 2008
927 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
Scott86 wrote: I picked it up on ebay at release for $20. For these kinda things, if you keep an eye on ebay you'll prob. get a better deal as this has pretty limited appeal.
Great series, btw. Wish they hadnt used as many cartoons to tell the history stories though. The original series(With Sagan, only available on DVD) holds up better, even if the information is dated or flat-out incorrect now.
So you'd give the nod to the Sagan series? I want to get in to Cosmos, but I just flat out don't like Tyson.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1801 posts
1266 upvotes
Bargain Bin wrote: So you'd give the nod to the Sagan series? I want to get in to Cosmos, but I just flat out don't like Tyson.
Absolutely. Just be aware that finding a DVD set is expensive, and the definitive version was never released on discs(I think its Syfy[or one of the non-canadian space networks] VoD) which had remastered astronomy shots. The original show as filmed, was done on tape so there's really no way to effectively remaster it beyond 480p-DVD.

I'm sure you can watch a few episodes on youtube, to see if its more to your liking. "Harmony of the Worlds" and "Blues for a Red Planet" are my favorite ones. If you like it, watch eBay for the DVD sets to go on sale, and maybe pick up the book while you're at it.
I ended up snagging a sealed set of DVD's for $40, and the first edition hard cover book with dust-cover protected in plastic wrap for $20.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
NG wrote: This keeps dropping in price. I'm betting it'll be $10 at some point.
It's free on Netflix so it's already at $0 in my eyes lol
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
Scott86 wrote: Wish they hadnt used as many cartoons to tell the history stories though.
I wished they would have had Family Guy scenes tell the history stories. Sorta like that old Canadian Show History Bites but with the Griffens.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2959 posts
2496 upvotes
Scarborough
Tyson was great! This series was a truly amazing one, why so much negativity? This show reduces stupid, and this world needs less stupid.
Aug 3, 2010
362 posts
139 upvotes
Tyson was brilliant. AMAZING series. I remember watching Sagan's version in the 90s and was blown away. I am so glad when watching this that it does a brilliant job too. They got lucky having Tyson do it; an American national treasure! I now have Sagan's and Tyson's on DVD! I'd recommend people get both...that is, unless you are religious, and hence, find science uncomfortable and non-factual. If one could only choose 1 of the two, i'd go with Tyson's version since it showcases the latest in science facts, while Sagan's version has some errors (due to science gaining more). Also Tyson's version would have a wider appeal for all ages (including people who have a limited interest in science), while Sagan's version is more for people who already have a love for science (ie, atheists).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
big_willy wrote: This is one of the dumbest responses I've read on rfd. Congrats!
How so Big_willy?
I see a lot of criticism posts in your 616 posts since 2004 but very little productive input. Maybe this one fits your profile.... no?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln