None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1958 posts
54 upvotes
GTA

cost for a 10X12' concrete pad for garden shed

Want to know how much is the approximate cost for a 10X12' concrete pad for garden pad. Asked a contractor and he said the cost would be $1000+. Is DIY possible?

For shed purchased from HD or costco, is the installation as easy as opening the box and putting the shed on the concrete shed?

Any advice is appreciated.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
143 upvotes
Ottawa
elmst200 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 2:27 pm
Want to know how much is the approximate cost for a 10X12' concrete pad for garden pad. Asked a contractor and he said the cost would be $1000+. Is DIY possible?

For shed purchased from HD or costco, is the installation as easy as opening the box and putting the shed on the concrete shed?

Any advice is appreciated.

Honestly, you don't need a concrete pad for a "kit" shed. Do a search here and you'll find a lot on this subject.
Jun 1, 2007
198 posts
26 upvotes
I think it depends on what kind of ground you have. If it is sand you can probably get away with concrete pads but if it is clay then you may want to dig down because it can move with the frost.
Jun 17, 2010
56 posts
1 upvote
van
you could just DIY.....dig up the soil and tamp road base.... use pier blocks with 2 x 6 joists and top with 5/8" ply
Feb 26, 2003
290 posts
14 upvotes
I just did a 12x18 concrete pad for my shed and the cost was ~$900 for 7 cubic metres of concrete. I dug out 10" of earth. Put in 6" of gravel whic was leftover by the pool guys. Built up side walls out of 2x10's. Also added some rebar in there for strength. And a drain since my pool filter is in there.

My buddy and I smoothed the concrete as the cement truck guy poured. The smoothing we did is not perfect, but hey, its a shed!

A local contractor quoted me $3,000, complete rip-off...

If the cement truck can just back right up to it, its a cinch. If not, wheelbarrowing it would be crazy hard.

My shed will look something like this once finished...

Support Cellular Class Action - Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido, Sasktel, MTS, Aliant Class Actions.

Get your $8.95/month "System Access Fee" BACK!

http://www.merchantlaw.com/cellular.html
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
t_garp wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 6:14 pm
I just did a 12x18 concrete pad for my shed and the cost was ~$900 for 7 cubic metres of concrete. I dug out 10" of earth. Put in 6" of gravel whic was leftover by the pool guys. Built up side walls out of 2x10's. Also added some rebar in there for strength. And a drain since my pool filter is in there.

My buddy and I smoothed the concrete as the cement truck guy poured. The smoothing we did is not perfect, but hey, its a shed!

A local contractor quoted me $3,000, complete rip-off...

If the cement truck can just back right up to it, its a cinch. If not, wheelbarrowing it would be crazy hard.

My shed will look something like this once finished...

Nice looking shed / cabana. Did you buy the plans from summerwood?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6026 posts
968 upvotes
Mississauga
t garp has the right idea, I'd probably go with 3/4 crushed stone for a base. 4-5" poured concrete, within a wood frame.... layed down in rebar midway into the cement. The cememt supplier can advice the strength of the concrete they'll supply and have a wheel barrel handy if access isn't great. Have or make a tool to smooth down the top while settling and maybe curve the edges so it doen't chip easily as well as effect.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3306 posts
163 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm not an engineer or construction worker but I don't think you need a concrete slab for a shed. If it was me, I would just put a bit of crushed stones and then some 2x2 patio tiles - way cheaper. You could also use something called 'spa pads' (we've had them for our spa for about 6-8 years I think).

As much trouble / cost as it is putting the concrete pad, it will be even worse if you ever decide you don't want the shed anymore and want to remove the concrete pad.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2693 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
Did a 9'x13' concrete pad this summer for an 8'x13' shed. I dug out the area myself, graded and leveled it and filled it with about 5-6" of 3/4 gravel (tamped every 2"). Then I got a guy with concrete pouring experience off Craigslist to help me build the form. He also ordered the concrete since he used to be in the business. Instead of rebar we chose to use fibres mixed into the concrete. I did research on it, and that should be plenty strong enough for a shed. Too many issues with correct placement of rebar - fibre distributes evenly throughout the mix.

On the day of the pour, the guy showed up with an assistant. I had borrowed an extra wheel barrow from a neighbour since the truck could not get into the backyard. I helped out with running back and forth with the wheel barrows as well as smoothing the concrete. The job on that day (including building the form) only took about three hours.

Cost for the entire job was probably around $900. About $450 for the concrete with the fibre, $250 for the guys off Craigslist and the rest for the gravel, wood and tamper rental. I had been quoted $1500+ from contractors so not a bad saving.
× < >