Cost to add 220V outlet in home garage?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2010 4:06 am
Tags:
None
May 10, 2006
62 posts

Cost to add 220V outlet in home garage?

Anyone add an 220v outlet to their garage? How much would an electrician charge for something like that?

How much did you pay? and anyone you can recommend? (PM please)

Anything I should look/request for from an electrician to have the job done correctly and safely.

I understand that there are many factors that may determine the price however a general idea of the standard install X and run wires from A to B would be nice.

Don't wanna be taken for a ride so would like to know ballpark prices before I start calling around.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2241 posts
135 upvotes
just call 3 or 4 and have them come and do an estimate.. you'll soon have a good idea on what the cost will be.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1098 posts
135 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
It shouldn't take him more than one hour. Putting in 220V is the same task-wise as 120V.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
caltran wrote:
Mar 1st, 2010 5:01 pm
It shouldn't take him more than one hour. Putting in 220V is the same task-wise as 120V.
It will definately will take more than an hour. They'll have to run a line from the panel to the garage. Totally depends on the access from the panel to the garage.

What's the going rate for an electrician to come to your house? $50/hr?
Dec 11, 2009
316 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Agent240sx wrote:
Mar 1st, 2010 4:06 pm
Anyone add an 220v outlet to their garage? How much would an electrician charge for something like that?

How much did you pay? and anyone you can recommend? (PM please)

Anything I should look/request for from an electrician to have the job done correctly and safely.

I understand that there are many factors that may determine the price however a general idea of the standard install X and run wires from A to B would be nice.

Don't wanna be taken for a ride so would like to know ballpark prices before I start calling around.

As you said, there are a lot of variables to consider. Every situation is different, and all factor into cost. The distance from house to garage?, how many amp service? (What are you planning to run in the garage? Welder, heat, machinery, etc) Method of getting it there? Buried conduit? Overhead run? Condition of panel in house? (capacity) Access to panel? Open ceilings, vs closed ceilings. House construction wood, block, brick. Type and size of panel in the garage, permit cost, etc. Get where I'm going :-)
I agree with Agent 240sx, no harm in making a few calls for a few estimates. It will be an education within itself. And don't let anybody pressure you into having to do it right away. Take your time. Until someone actually sees what they are having to deal with, pulling figures out of a hat is kinda useless. Either that, or they will just quote high to cover themselves.
[OP]
May 10, 2006
62 posts
quick72toy wrote:
Mar 1st, 2010 5:21 pm
As you said, there are a lot of variables to consider. Every situation is different, and all factor into cost. The distance from house to garage?, how many amp service? (What are you planning to run in the garage? Welder, heat, machinery, etc) Method of getting it there? Buried conduit? Overhead run? Condition of panel in house? (capacity) Access to panel? Open ceilings, vs closed ceilings. House construction wood, block, brick. Type and size of panel in the garage, permit cost, etc. Get where I'm going :-)
I agree with Agent 240sx, no harm in making a few calls for a few estimates. It will be an education within itself. And don't let anybody pressure you into having to do it right away. Take your time. Until someone actually sees what they are having to deal with, pulling figures out of a hat is kinda useless. Either that, or they will just quote high to cover themselves.
Oh I understand that there are many variables. Was hoping someone that had it done chime in and post what they payed and under what circumstances and maybe someone can recommend a reputable person/company in the Markham area.
Nov 27, 2006
70 posts
Materials wise its roughly $50. I recently purchased my wire, outlet, box, and fuse.

Not sure what a professional will charge you to put it in. Max 2 hrs you gotta think.

Edit: I have a basic two storey home with attached garage. Fuse box in the basement under the front door. 30 ft of wire to run the 220 to front corner of the garage. Unfinished basement, good access. Essentially the easiest of circumstances.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
947 upvotes
Mississauga
I believe I paid just over $50.00 in materials for a 20 amp and the list of parts were.

Cuircut breaker
Anti shorts.
BX Wire
Receptacle
BX connectors
Receptacle cover
Nail in to secure box
Stainless Steel Box
BX line staples
Silicone to cover hole in poured concrete opening
Electrical wire to cover back of receptacle
You may want to include the drill bit to drill through 8" of concrete.

That about covers it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6210 posts
79 upvotes
corykg wrote:
Mar 1st, 2010 6:49 pm
Materials wise its roughly $50. I recently purchased my wire, outlet, box, and fuse.
It depends.. are we talking about a 25A 220V circuit? or a 50A one? For the 50A, the wiring itself costs a fortune.. and the breaker is far from free. Plus, fishing that is next to impossible..
Dec 1, 2005
676 posts
42 upvotes
Calgary
Agent240sx wrote:
Mar 1st, 2010 6:39 pm
Oh I understand that there are many variables. Was hoping someone that had it done chime in and post what they payed and under what circumstances and maybe someone can recommend a reputable person/company in the Markham area.
It'd be far easier for you to post the setup you have, and people can tell you ballpark cost for materials, and estimate time.
× < >