• Aug 5th, 2018 7:43 pm
[OP]
May 5, 2007
621 posts
78 upvotes
North York

Cost of Braces for kids (orthodontics)

Hi everyone,

I am in Toronto and have two girls needed braces (from initial assessment) I know braces can be anywhere between $6000-$10,000 per child and right now that is not affordable.

If you have kids that have got them, can you recommend places to go? I know raising kids is expensive but minimizing that that $$$ hit will go a long for me.

Any suggestions, references practical tips are appreciated!
16 replies
Feb 8, 2017
374 posts
157 upvotes
seems expensive. we pay $5500. it's a lot of $ but with a monthly payment plan it's manageable.
Feb 4, 2017
150 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
They all seem to be around $5000+ , also depends on how well the assessment goes.
Nov 13, 2007
829 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
You can get Invisalign for $3,000. Plus, x-ray, retainer and etc. It comes to $4,000 total.
You have to do some searching.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5194 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Even in Toronto your getting ripped off over $5k. If you think 5-10k is unaffordable good luck in their teens. Liberals won’t be here long enough to bail you out.
Sep 15, 2014
49 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
do you have insurance through your employer(vision,dental,prescrption drugs etc). it may cover major part of it
[OP]
May 5, 2007
621 posts
78 upvotes
North York
I have Manulife and they cover ZERO
Jun 20, 2010
136 posts
10 upvotes
take a bunch of quotes, i tried atleast 5 places if i remember correctly....(all were recommendations from friends/colleagues or reviews online), The prices were too far apart, and second key thing was they define treatment that they intendto do/timing and that allows you to compare and also ask valid questions the next place you visit. (in our case atleast two of them were so far apart from everyone else, that somecommon sense a bit of reading on web it was evident that they were just cooking things up. So even if their price was comparative they lost my trust
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1105 posts
146 upvotes
Markham, ON
How old are your kids? Why do they needed braces? These days everyone's smile looks about the same.

I grew up without braces but I am still pretty happy with how my teeth turned out. My tongue serves as my own braces. I pushed my teeth in place while they were still growing. I didn't do this in front of a mirror or anything. I am serious. My parents told me to try to get them in line with each other as much as possible as they are growing.

Years later, my wisdom tooth was poor out due to assessment. I sometimes wonder if my smile would be different if they were not pulled out. I also wonder if I actually have room to grow my wisdom teeth. I don't regret getting them pull out because if I really don't have room, I will be extremely painful to get them out as an adult.
Jan 26, 2014
62 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I know a few people who went to Dr Sophia bau chau (in Toronto and she has another office elsewhere) and they are both happy with her work. I think she charges around $3500 and consultation is free. There are mixed reviews by others so do your research first. If they get assessed early and have preventative devices/work done, they may not even need full braces so you can save money.
[OP]
May 5, 2007
621 posts
78 upvotes
North York
Do you know where her office is? Any address?

thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)