Cost of Brake Pad and Rotors - 2014 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2018 7:55 pm
[OP]
Sep 30, 2018
20 posts
6 upvotes

Cost of Brake Pad and Rotors - 2014 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback

I would like to ask a few questions regarding the cost of brake pad and rotors for my 2014 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback, which I have owned for 50 months with around 67,000km by now. Location is Vancouver, BC, Canada. My dealership advised me that it is likely I will need to replace all four of my brake pads in February 2019, and below is the brake down of the cost, all before taxes, they provided to me via an email:

Parts of Front Brakes and Rotors: $281.02 + $15.50 for miscellaneous charge
Labour for installation - Front Brakes and Rotors: $200.00
Parts of Rear Brakes and Rotors: $267.49+ $15.50 for miscellaneous charge

Now my questions are:
1) Is the cost break down a fair pricing?
2) Does Mazda OEM brake pads last longer/are better/are safer than non-OEM brake pads and rotors?
3) If there are other non-OEM brake pads and rotors for 2014 Mazda 3, where can I find them and what would the cost be?

I am not a car person, so I am looking for your input...I am trying very hard not to get scammed... assuming OEM brake pads are actually a lot better, I might just buy the parts from the dealership but have them installed somewhere else...

Please let me know your inputs. Many thanks!
26 replies
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
665 upvotes
sharinganic wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 6:45 pm
I would like to ask a few questions regarding the cost of brake pad and rotors for my 2014 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback, which I have owned for 50 months with around 67,000km by now. Location is Vancouver, BC, Canada. My dealership advised me that it is likely I will need to replace all four of my brake pads in February 2019, and below is the brake down of the cost, all before taxes, they provided to me via an email:

Now my questions are:
2) Does Mazda OEM brake pads last longer/are better/are safer than non-OEM brake pads and rotors?
3) If there are other non-OEM brake pads and rotors for 2014 Mazda 3, where can I find them and what would the cost be?

I am not a car person, so I am looking for your input...I am trying very hard not to get scammed... assuming OEM brake pads are actually a lot better, I might just buy the parts from the dealership but have them installed somewhere else...

Why would you need to do rotors if they said just the pads? Also it's unlikely all 4 need to be replaced at same time since fronts and rears wear at different rate.

Parts for OEM is not bad...$400 total labor is about$250 too much
Last edited by Gboard2 on Oct 27th, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2018
20 posts
6 upvotes
Gboard2 wrote: Why would you need to do rotors if they said just the pads? Also it's unlikely all 4 need to be replaced at same time since fronts and rears wear at different rate.
well that's the quote they gave me. Like I said I am not a car person, so I wouldn't know why the quote they gave me includes both the pad and the rotor.

As for the brake pads, actually I did see this coming last year with all 4 of them going to be worn out at almost the same time. I get a report after a service is done, and they have always shown that my rear brake pads are just a bit "thicker" than my front ones.

Anyways I am still looking for inputs regarding the three questions I posted. Thanks
May 20, 2017
428 posts
207 upvotes
ON
sharinganic wrote:

Now my questions are:

I would say it's a reasonable price from a dealership although you should be able to get it done cheaper at an independent garage.

You can price out your parts price on rockauto.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1154 posts
380 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm actually just about to order for my gfs 2014 mazda3. She hit 110,000km finally changing for the first time. All 4 pads and rotors.

I'm ordering all the parts on rock auto for about $260 shipped.
(There are better quality ones if you want but the ones I'm getting are pretty OEM equivalent)

My mechanic is installing it all for $150.

Please do not go to the dealer and pay those ridiculous prices.
Past: 02' Protege5 | 07' Mazda3 GT | 02' BMW M3 | 10' Mazdaspeed3 |03 S2000 |05' S2000 Now: 18' BMW M2
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
665 upvotes
Elec2016 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 7:25 pm
I would say it's a reasonable price from a dealership although you should be able to get it done cheaper at an independent garage.

You can price out your parts price on rockauto.
STCman wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 7:43 pm
I'm actually just about to order for my gfs 2014 mazda3. She hit 110,000km finally changing for the first time. All 4 pads and rotors.

(There are better quality ones if you want but the ones I'm getting are pretty OEM equivalent)

Be careful with rockauto for the 2014 M3 GT brakes , they are incorrect for many parts cause it's different parts for Japanese or mexican built

Better to buy from amazon.ca that can accept returns
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18916 posts
2221 upvotes
Niagara Falls
sharinganic wrote:

Now my questions are:

For a dealership, it's probably not a crazy price. You could find the part significantly cheaper on RockAuto then just find a trusted mechanic to install them for you.
Looks like even the most expensive kit on RockAuto is 284.43 and that includes all 4 rotors and pads.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1154 posts
380 upvotes
Scarborough
Gboard2 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 7:52 pm
Be careful with rockauto for the 2014 M3 GT brakes , they are incorrect for many parts cause it's different parts for Japanese or mexican built

Better to buy from amazon.ca that can accept returns
Rock auto clearly states Japan or Mexico build on each part.
Past: 02' Protege5 | 07' Mazda3 GT | 02' BMW M3 | 10' Mazdaspeed3 |03 S2000 |05' S2000 Now: 18' BMW M2
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
665 upvotes
STCman wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 1:59 am
Rock auto clearly states Japan or Mexico build on each part.
Except some of them it's wrong . Ask how I know ...

Or why don't you try to find front 3 GT model pads for Japan built on rockauto?
Oct 3, 2017
267 posts
182 upvotes
I know a very knowledgeable person with 3 Mazda 3's. They usually buy all their parts online (sometimes used) but they say that for Mazda 3's the OEM pads are the only way to go. Coated rotors could be aftermarket but he says pads should be OEM. Labor seems high but getting someone else to install parts you didn't buy from them can sometimes be difficult. Probably someone here on RFD could recommend some places in your area to do the install and if you are not comfortable just get everything done at the dealer. Brakes and tires are important.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2018
20 posts
6 upvotes
George613 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 12:21 pm
I know a very knowledgeable person with 3 Mazda 3's. They usually buy all their parts online (sometimes used) but they say that for Mazda 3's the OEM pads are the only way to go. Coated rotors could be aftermarket but he says pads should be OEM. Labor seems high but getting someone else to install parts you didn't buy from them can sometimes be difficult. Probably someone here on RFD could recommend some places in your area to do the install and if you are not comfortable just get everything done at the dealer. Brakes and tires are important.
Thanks for the reply. I am just afraid of getting scammed by the dealership. There are quite a few brake pads on amazon.ca with costs below $50 a pair or so... but obviously brake pads are a safety concern and I should not go cheap on it, but I just wanted to ensure I am not paying more than I have to...$1,200 for all four brakes and rotors (after taxes) is a huge hit on me.

What is your friend's reasoning for insisting Mazda 3's really should use OEM pads?
[OP]
Sep 30, 2018
20 posts
6 upvotes
STCman wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. Mind sharing the link of the pads and rotors you are purchasing from Rock Auto?

Dec 10, 2007
566 posts
351 upvotes
Arviat
You can do so much better. As another member said, you can try to find a garage that will install for $150, and order the parts from rockauto yourself.
I went about getting my rear brakes done this way, ordered pads/rotors/wear sensor for $130 (picked them up from the border) and paid my mechanic $150 to install.
Remember when you liked what you currently have
Oct 3, 2017
267 posts
182 upvotes
sharinganic wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 12:18 pm
What is your friend's reasoning for insisting Mazda 3's really should use OEM pads?
Sounds like you have made up your mind. He says OEM pads on Mazda 3's stop better last longer and just work better than high end aftermarket. If I had a 3 knowing his expertise thats what I would get. Rotors not necessarily. Does your dealer have a good reputation? They are more expensive but if you are new to cars dealer service is not a bad idea. If they are pushing you to do a lot of not necessary things then try another or an independant. A lot of independents are as expensive as dealers but you might save a few bucks on parts but then again not get OEM parts.

Every car needs brakes after a while. You should also get them fully serviced once a year costs about $150 sometimes more. Lubricating the slide pins on all 4 rotors should be done annually. Since the car is 4 years old you should also replace the brake fluid every 3 years some people recommend every 2 years.
Nov 2, 2012
985 posts
1303 upvotes
You can always call up a few other Mazda dealerships and get quotes from them to compare. Who says you have to go to the same dealership you bought the car from to get it serviced? Don't even mention your dealership. Say you had the car looked and this is what was the recommended. Just inquire about the exact work you want to have done. If they all give you similar prices, then you're probably not getting scammed and that's just the price dealerships will charge.