• Sep 3rd, 2014 1:31 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1864 posts
838 upvotes
Oakville
Are there preventative measures I can take to reduce the smell before they move in (assuming they're people that would cook these ethnic food)?

Ground coffee in cabinets? Baking soda packs?

I've sprayed scotch guard in car upholstery before. Would this work for condo carpet?
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Kursor17 wrote: Are there preventative measures I can take to reduce the smell before they move in (assuming they're people that would cook these ethnic food)?

I've sprayed scotch guard in car upholstery before. Would this work for condo carpet?
Sorry man. There is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent this. You either replace and deep clean the hell out of the apartment/condo, or you choose not to rent it out.

There are no protective things you can do that will keep out the smell... well unless you wrap everything airtight in plastic. Not sure your tenants would agree to that.
Aug 31, 2008
258 posts
211 upvotes
Unionville
I lived in a apartment that had a rank curry smell and believe me, it will NEVER ever go away unless you tear out the carpets, walls, etc. GL
Dealhunter
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
So let me get this straight, you have a brand new condo that you haven't rented out yet but you are worried about removing the "ethnic smell" of tenants whose ethnicity you don't even know. You are making some really ignorant assumptions. This is probably one of the most ridiculous threads here. Is this what you think ethnic cleansing is? There is no problem here other than your prejudice. I don't think you are ready to be a landlord. FYI you might want to brush up on the Human Rights Code.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
Are BBQ, french fries or fried burgers also included in the "ethnic smell" category?

Just asking...
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
2139 posts
1969 upvotes
Kursor17 wrote: Are there preventative measures I can take to reduce the smell before they move in (assuming they're people that would cook these ethnic food)?

So, are you saying the house already smells or are your trying to prevent potential smell from your new tenants in your "brand new condo"?

You can instruct your tenants to crack open a window in the kitchen whenever they cook and turn the hood fan on. This prevents a low pressure area from forming in an otherwise weatherthight room. That low pressure would then permeate the smell into walls, carpets, porous surfaces, etc. In the long term it will make it a lot easier to then clean, disinfect and fumigate the smell out.

If you already have the smell, and it has gotten to the point that you are implying, then this is not a "brand new" condo is it? You already have a lot of answers on how to deal with that, and at the worst case, it will involve getting rid of porous surfaces such as drywall, carpets, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
The one sure way to work and it will kill everything in your condo too is an ozone machine, think you can rent or get a company to come in and do it for you.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
2139 posts
1969 upvotes
hdom wrote: The one sure way to work and it will kill everything in your condo too is an ozone machine, think you can rent or get a company to come in and do it for you.
Will not get rid of smell that have permeated into porous surfaces, will work on hard surfaces. It will help, but won't get rid of all the smell, but whatever is left over can dissipate over time.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
hdom wrote: The one sure way to work and it will kill everything in your condo too is an ozone machine, think you can rent or get a company to come in and do it for you.
This will not work on carpet, drywall, grout, etc...

This might work on kitchen cabinets, hardwood, tiles, etc...
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3488 posts
1532 upvotes
Toronto
Kursor17 wrote: Im not going to specifically name the ethnicity so hopefully this thread doesn't get locked

For those that have actual knowledge of deep cleaning houses or condos to remove the smell. How much would I be looking at?

Brand new condo. Tenants found by Rental company so they can't disclose the last name or ethnicity of tenant.
Tenant scheduled to move in a few weeks.

Condo ~750 Square Feet.
Carpet in 2 bedrooms, two bathrooms, hardwood floors in main. Granite kitchen countertops

This is an honest question. Hoping to avoid negative, judgmental replies. Just looking for info.
At least you're honest about your prejudice. Now, what to do with it is a tougher question. You could attend ethnic sensitivity courses, but a tendency to be ignorant is often an innate quality, so I think this is something you will just have to live with.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
Tommy74 wrote: Replacing a hallway carpets is a must , I bet all the money, that as soon as the elevator door opens - ethnic smell is there too...What is the smell like?
Are you offended?
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Banned
Jul 10, 2014
660 posts
18 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Wow.....well said Big Tim! I mean you can't help but shake your head when you read such things, and as you can see, the poster is NOT alone in how they feel

Little Tim wrote: At least you're honest about your prejudice. Now, what to do with it is a tougher question. You could attend ethnic sensitivity courses, but a tendency to be ignorant is often an innate quality, so I think this is something you will just have to live with.
Are BBQ, french fries or fried burgers also included in the "ethnic smell" category?

Just asking...
Ahahaha...YES valid question, but if I had to take a guess...the poster will probably say those are Caucasian sort of foods, and are superior...just because

Someone made a silly comment the other day in the camping thread and I quote "there were some foreigners speaking a different language across from us, and playing Tom Jones music loud". So just because they were speaking another language, means that they couldn't have been Canadian born and bred, paid taxes all their lives, provide employments to Canadians, volunteer in their community, and have relatrives that fought in the war for Canada???????
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
I think the way the OP worded his question was.. rather strange. Even if he/she had no racial pretenses, the questions simply steered the conversation that way.

I don't think what the OP is asking is unreasonable. Different cultures use different spices. IT so happens that certain cultures use spices that are very... penetrating. It is normal to wonder if such can be remedied.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
2139 posts
1969 upvotes
longitude wrote: Are BBQ, french fries or fried burgers also included in the "ethnic smell" category?

Just asking...
Bacon, tastes good, but try to get that smell out once it permeates into your house's walls, carpets and your clothes. Where I work, the cafeteria cooks trays and trays of bacon in the oven as prep for the breakfast hot table. They can't rid of that smell even with the commercial hood ventilation for at least until just before the lunch rush.

Give it time and ultimately, everything that we take for granted as "North American" will be considered "ethnic". Just like we consider bannock to be ethnic, but yet our aboriginals staple food.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1864 posts
838 upvotes
Oakville
Im not Caucasian. I wasn't born in Canada. Sorry to burst the bubbles that some presume I would think burgers and fries are superior

I hope my question has spurred some good suggestions that may help others in the present and going fwd should they experience a similar situation that requires cleaning to remove smell.

The vast majority of replies have been helpful and informative on possible solutions.

Sorry to see people jumping the gun and quickly being judgmental (no particular ethnicity was mentioned or pointed out explicitly).

And yes, I enjoy eating food from many cultures/ethnicity. Those that embed into carpets and drywall I try to eat at the restaurant
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR
Kursor17 wrote: Im not Caucasian. I wasn't born in Canada. Sorry to burst the bubbles that some presume I would think burgers and fries are superior

I hope my question has spurred some good suggestions that may help others in the present and going fwd should they experience a similar situation that requires cleaning to remove smell.

The vast majority of replies have been helpful and informative on possible solutions.

Sorry to see people jumping the gun and quickly being judgmental (no particular ethnicity was mentioned or pointed out explicitly).
Go in the yellowpages and find those companies that do cleaning after a fire. They need to get rid of fire smoke which is a strong smell that does not go away.
I am sure they can help you get rid of whatever smell in every one of your knook and krannies. If the are cheap? I do not think so.
Banned
Jul 10, 2014
660 posts
18 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Don't forget Salmon to eh... At least "ethnic foods" don't usually make you become obese / end up with a beer gut / rock a muffin top
my0gr81 wrote: Bacon, tastes good, but try to get that smell out once it permeates into your house's walls, carpets and your clothes. Where I work, the cafeteria cooks trays and trays of bacon in the oven as prep for the breakfast hot table. They can't rid of that smell even with the commercial hood ventilation for at least until just before the lunch rush.

Give it time and ultimately, everything that we take for granted as "North American" will be considered "ethnic". Just like we consider bannock to be ethnic, but yet our aboriginals staple food.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32144 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
The only reason i am posting here is that i had a smell problem when the tenant left and i moved here, she was of no ethnicity, just a slob.
Get rid of carpet, they are incredibly difficult to get smell and dirt out of, any rental should have laminate or other solid washable flooring (ceramic, linoleum, hardwood, vinyl, etc.) In your case since its already carpeted assume it will get destroyed and that is a cost of doing business (owning a rental property).

The granite will be ruined if not sealed and properly taken care of

Smells bind to surfaces, if you wash the walls and floors and ceiling with all purpose cleaner you will remove the films that hold smell

If there is an HRV make sure it runs on a regular schedule

Prohibit smoking, legal and otherwise

Get the ducts cleaned after they leave since the accumulations will harbor smells

Make sure you add an inspection clause to the lease, 3-4 times a year is a good idea, look for damage, water leaks, cleanliness, appliances nearing the end of their life, vermin, furnace filter and so forth.

Tenants typically don't take care of anything, if you find one that does then count your blessings.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3798 upvotes
Thornhill
Kursor17 wrote: Brand new condo. Tenants found by Rental company so they can't disclose the last name or ethnicity of tenant.
Tenant scheduled to move in a few weeks.
Is it that you can't disclose the last names or is that the management company you hired hasn't disclosed their last names to you and you don't know if the tenants are of certain ethnicity and so you're asking just in case they are?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32144 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
licenced wrote: Is it that you can't disclose the last names or is that the management company you hired hasn't disclosed their last names to you and you don't know if the tenants are of certain ethnicity and so you're asking just in case they are?
I find that strange too, i would never, ever allow my place to be rented by someone i have not met, there is just too much on the line to sign a blank cheque (figuratively)