• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2011 9:51 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 15, 2006
653 posts
19 upvotes

cost of dental crown?

Just wondering if anyone here has gotten a crown done on their back molar recently and if they can tell me how much it costs.

Dentist quoted me $1100, i was shocked to hear that it costs so much, my insurance doesn't cover major services and according to the insurance company, a crown is major

anyhoo if i can't find it to be cheaper, perhaps i should go to mexico and get it done there? make a vacation out of it
Share:
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7139 posts
1684 upvotes
winterfreshgrin wrote:
Aug 4th, 2011 2:32 pm
Just wondering if anyone here has gotten a crown done on their back molar recently and if they can tell me how much it costs.

Dentist quoted me $1100, i was shocked to hear that it costs so much, my insurance doesn't cover major services and according to the insurance company, a crown is major

anyhoo if i can't find it to be cheaper, perhaps i should go to mexico and get it done there? make a vacation out of it
Or perhaps a trip to India? Now you cant beat those prices. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ol-RyYn ... re=related
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
May 28, 2006
957 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
That's a reasonable price for the crown. I'm assuming the prep, temporary crown, and permanent crown are included at that price.

EDIT: Are you getting a porcelain fused to metal (PFM) or gold crown? In an area where aesthetics aren't a concern, you can opt for a gold crown. Check out the price difference and take that into consideration.
Heatware/HoFo upon request
May 28, 2006
957 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
Oh my...I cringed at that video 0_0. Terrible sanitation practices...and I've made better dentures in the lab screwing around with PMMA. At least the tools he's using aren't too ridiculous.
Heatware/HoFo upon request
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2010
1248 posts
37 upvotes
Somewhere around $2k
:arrow: JussB
GO LEAFS GO!

BBM pin 2B5A4B98
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3752 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
Never tell your dentist that you have insurance coverage. The prices will be inflated. Always tell them you have no insurance coverage and require a receipt for personal records and then submit the receipt to your insurance for reimbursement. I was quoted $1100 in the past.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2006
653 posts
19 upvotes
mrperfect wrote:
Aug 4th, 2011 2:37 pm
Or perhaps a trip to India? Now you cant beat those prices. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ol-RyYn ... re=related
lol geez..i think i can afford more than 80 rupees. unless you're from india, the cost of airfare would be higher than getting your crown done here.
lobt wrote:
Aug 4th, 2011 2:40 pm
That's a reasonable price for the crown. I'm assuming the prep, temporary crown, and permanent crown are included at that price.

EDIT: Are you getting a porcelain fused to metal (PFM) or gold crown? In an area where aesthetics aren't a concern, you can opt for a gold crown. Check out the price difference and take that into consideration.

i think its the PFM, gold would be cost higher because of the price of gold right now. and no i don't want any bling in my teeth :D
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1062 posts
49 upvotes
YUL
winterfreshgrin wrote:
Aug 4th, 2011 4:37 pm
i think its the PFM, gold would be cost higher because of the price of gold right now. and no i don't want any bling in my teeth :D

No one does gold anymore, they're tacky. Natural looking fillings are the new norm.
FOR SALE:
Always looking to sell USD for CDN at XE.com's rates.
Dec 31, 2007
298 posts
28 upvotes
metal crowns are usually made from gold or other precious metals. with the price of gold at 1600/oz, 1100 sounds right. it was about 800 a few years ago.

porcelain fused metal has a veneer or porcelain on it so it doesn't look too obvious.

the most expensive is the ceramic crowns which are about 1700+ per. they look a lot more natural.

crowns are not usually covered by regular plans, and if they are they are covered for the basic metal crown at 50%

depending on your age, and how vain you are the metal crown is probably your realistic choice.

you could go for cheaper crowns in a foreign country but if there are complications, the worse case scenario are you need the crown replaced again or you loose the tooth and need a bridge or an implant which actually costs more.
Aug 7, 2011
1 posts
NORTH YORK
$1100 is an average cost of a crown and can range from $850-1500 in the GTA area. Although it is a high expense but realize it is going to be inserted as part of your body for everyday functional use for a long time therefore consider it as an investment rather than an expense. If you want to go out of the country to Mexico, China, India to get this crown done, remember you get what you pay for in life and the standards in these countries are questionable. Make a wise decision and invest in your oral health.

winterfreshgrin wrote:
Aug 4th, 2011 2:32 pm

Aug 31, 2010
291 posts
6 upvotes
and I shopped around for almost 3 months... In the end I decided to go with my regular dentist for the temp and perm crown, but an endodontist for the root canal, since (based on my research) that is the best way to success (restore and long-term crown). The endodontist charged me 1475$ (includes everything he did) and my insurance paid 950$. The dentist charged me 1000$ (temp crown, perm crown and everything he did, except the tooth restore drilling filling which was an extra 300$, but 290$ was coevered by insurance) and the insurance covered 500$. So in the end I was out 1000$ cash no matter what, but the process was almost totally painless and worked out really well so far. Hopefully it lasts at least 20 years or so. Now I am upset that the dentist and insurance company acknowledge that getting the RC and crown is the BEST medical approach to keeping the other teeth happy and healthy as well and to maintain quality of life, i.e. being able to eat, but then they don't cover all of it. Bastards!!!!!
[OP]
Aug 15, 2006
653 posts
19 upvotes
thanks for the feedback everyone, can i ask why there is a temp and a permanent crown?
Mar 18, 2007
566 posts
159 upvotes
Believe Ontario Fee Guide 2010 for 27211 Porcelain Crown was $655 + lab fee (not as clear how much this is)

2011 Fee Guide crowns up app 1%.

Also see www.doctorren.ca/fee.php for 2009 info.

Anyone had current insights into lab fees etc?

(My dentist seems to want significantly more than the fee guide but I don't buy it)
Dec 24, 2004
74 posts
12 upvotes
I recent had a root canal and my dentist suggested an Onlay instead of a Full Crown. An Onlay is more conservative and retain more of your tooth. Furthermore, the artificial structure will not be touching your gum directly, which can be a problem for Crowns.

Read about it here:
http://www.ienhance.com/procedures/inlays-onlays
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inlays_and_onlays

The other plus was the price. I was charged less than $500 for an Onlay and I was told a Porcelain Crown will be about $700.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1708 posts
160 upvotes
winterfreshgrin wrote:
Aug 8th, 2011 3:36 pm
thanks for the feedback everyone, can i ask why there is a temp and a permanent crown?

The dentist will prepare your tooth, make a mold of it, and send it out to get the permanent crown made (this usually takes about one week). In the meantime, he will make a temporary crown for you, which is much more fragile than the real one - be careful with the temp as it can be cracked fairly easily.
× < >