• May 28th, 2015 8:05 am
Tags:
None
Jan 3, 2013
919 posts
475 upvotes
Mississauga

Cost difference on United award travel vs. Aeroplan

I was searching award flight options on both United and Aeroplan using AP points and noticed a considerable difference in price for the exact same flight out of YYZ to MAD. Both were on AC but why such a price difference other than the exchange rate difference?
UA showed $56 one way and the Aeroplan site showed $300+ one way for the same award flight.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, exactly same flight if you book it using UA awards, there is very little tax/fee, but if booked using aeropeso points there is outrageous tax/fee. It's a scam.

That's because of the AC cashgrab, from aeroplan. Ae collects the money and pass to AC. They used to call it fuel surcharge, but now just call it carrier surcharge. Most people call it scamcharge.
Jan 3, 2013
919 posts
475 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for clarifying.

It is a scam! Isn't it more advantageous then to sign up for UA awards and collect/use them instead of aeroplan points? Can they be used in the same way for flights as AP?
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10598 posts
4849 upvotes
Burnaby
Good luck collecting UA miles in Canada. No credit card partners, no shopping partners. It'll be 100% butt in seat flight miles.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
yep I realized this a long time ago too. It sucks for us canadians.
My sister in the US uses UA points so I always have an opportunity for direct comparison
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1570 posts
1129 upvotes
Ottawa
Also be aware that United has changed its points accumulation rules for "butt in seat" miles to depend on fare paid not distance travelled. And its mileage requirements are higher for some long-distance travel. So I don't think there's an easy answer to "which is better". To win at the airline points game, you need to consider carefully your earning patterns and desired points use (and -- paradoxically -- move quickly, since they will change the rules on you on a whim)
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
I'm pretty sure someone asked this Q before also

but yes, in Canada, you're stuck with Aeroplan miles and best workaround is to use AP miles to book on UA flights (no YQ)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)