Cost to install a Generator Panel?

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2018 6:46 am
[OP]
Nov 30, 2005
584 posts
43 upvotes

Cost to install a Generator Panel?

With the Costco deal on the Firman Inverter Generator going on, I bought one for emergency backup (to power well pump, sump pump, furnance, and fridges). What can i expect the cost for installing a generator panel or manual transfer switch to cost?

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1699 posts
420 upvotes
ZxExN wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 11:19 am
With the Costco deal on the Firman Inverter Generator going on, I bought one for emergency backup (to power well pump, sump pump, furnance, and fridges). What can i expect the cost for installing a generator panel or manual transfer switch to cost?

Thanks
Look at this thread: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/generat ... e-2150714/
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9348 posts
3306 upvotes
Brampton
ZxExN wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 11:19 am

Thanks
You can DIY it. The panel and receptical will run you around $300-700 (Depending on the model and sale)
It's ~$80 for the inspection.

Or it's about 2-3 hours of labour so you'd be in the camp of ~$1k if an electrical contractor was doing only a couple circuits.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7308 posts
4215 upvotes
Edmonton
soupmaster666 wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 2:24 pm
It is illegal to install your own manual or automatic transfer switch without ESA permits and inspection.

Depending on the wiring, it may also be illegal without having your meter pulled by your utility.

At a bare minimum you need to understand conductor sizing, bonding, and the safety surrounding transfer switches. That's to stop it from setting your house on fire, and is completely ignoring "safety" and "nice to have" codes.

All of that is in addition to knowing the building codes and fire codes, which dictate where the generator itself can be installed (proximity to air intakes, windows, doors, etc, and proximity to combustible and non-combustible materials).
He mentioned the price of the permit in the section of the post that you excluded from your quote... That would imply permits and inspection, since the inspections are included.

C
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9348 posts
3306 upvotes
Brampton
soupmaster666 wrote:
It is illegal to install your own manual or automatic transfer switch without ESA permits and inspection.
I never said to do it without a permit. I clearly said it's ~$80 for the inspection which includes a permit.
soupmaster666 wrote:

Depending on the wiring, it may also be illegal without having your meter pulled by your utility.
Highly Unlikely that you would need to pull your meter to install a Generator Panel. Only in a situation where you're putting something simiar to a Generlink. Even then it wouldn't be illegal if you do it the right way which would be your utility coming to yank it and retag it after. It's ~$250 to do it and also inspect.
soupmaster666 wrote:
At a bare minimum you need to understand conductor sizing, bonding, and the safety surrounding transfer switches. That's to stop it from setting your house on fire, and is completely ignoring "safety" and "nice to have" codes.

All of that is in addition to knowing the building codes and fire codes, which dictate where the generator itself can be installed (proximity to air intakes, windows, doors, etc, and proximity to combustible and non-combustible materials).
If you read OP's post he's going to be using a portable generator. Building codes don't generally mention anything about portable generator location and use. But Common sense safety will come into play.
Jul 21, 2017
29 posts
9 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 2:41 pm
Sure, the ESA will come inspect an installation for $80, if it is complete and to code. If they have to come back because you missed anything, that's another fee. If you made fundamental mistakes and have to hire an electrician to redo it all, now you're paying them a "fix" rate not an "install" rate. Don't forget $200 for a copy of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, unless you get lucky and your Library has a copy.

In addition, some jurisdictions have bylaws which state that the fire department needs either drawings/plans, or an inspection, of any automatic transfer switch. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying it shouldn't be approached as a casual Saturday afternoon project.
I had an electrician install mine about two years ago. I bought the transfer switch and plug and he did the rest. Something as important as this I wasn't going to try and learn as I went along.

I also had my electrician do a bunch of other stuff at the same time so I'm not really sure what the actual install rate was.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2005
584 posts
43 upvotes
Thanks everyone. I ended up cancelling my Costco order as the generator is only 120V and my well pump is a 240V so that would not have worked. Time to look for a different genny..