Cost to recharge your electric vehicle vehicle

Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41547 posts
10220 upvotes
michelb wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 10:40 pm
I respectfully disagree with your comment. At $6 per 100 based on $1.10 / litre, you're car does 5L / 100 km - very few cars are that economical (A Toyota Prius barely beats it). A car like a Civic probably averages 8.5L / 100km. Most vehicles are above 10L / 100km so the sign is pretty accurate.

Actually, just to support my comment, according to NRCAN (http://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/9 ... 16bf24dd64), the average new car available for sale in 2017 is 10.87 L / 100 km ($11.97 per 100km at a price of $1.10 / litre).
That's what I thought. Even our RAV4 Hybrid gets around 14-16 km / liter. Trip to Penetang was just great in that we got 16.9 km / liter.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41547 posts
10220 upvotes
crystallight wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 12:05 am
$6.49 for my Elantra. My fuelly account says I average 5.9L/100km.
But I didn't realize that most vehicles average about twice that. That seems a lot to me.
No wonder. Even my 02 Civic can get 7L/100km on the highway at 100 but can't wait to get rid of it. :)

How fast do you drive on the highway, 100? Or is that mainly city driving? That would color me impressed.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2049 posts
641 upvotes
Cost to drive is more than just fuel. Tires yes will be used on both EV and combustion, but oil changes, brakes, spark plugs and so on... makes driving a car with ICE more expensive.

Highway vs city driving unless you're using a hybrid or EV will be wildly different. So if you drive 100km round trip but it's all highway is going to cost you a lot less than doing it in stop and go, regardless of whether you're driving a Civic or Caravan. EV and hybrid are about as good in the city as on the highway.

And it goes without saying (right?), driving at the speed limit and driving carefully - no hard accelerating or braking - makes a large difference.

7 l/100km is bad for Civic/Elantra/etc on the highway.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41547 posts
10220 upvotes
daverobev wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 3:23 pm
Cost to drive is more than just fuel. Tires yes will be used on both EV and combustion, but oil changes, brakes, spark plugs and so on... makes driving a car with ICE more expensive.

Highway vs city driving unless you're using a hybrid or EV will be wildly different. So if you drive 100km round trip but it's all highway is going to cost you a lot less than doing it in stop and go, regardless of whether you're driving a Civic or Caravan. EV and hybrid are about as good in the city as on the highway.

And it goes without saying (right?), driving at the speed limit and driving carefully - no hard accelerating or braking - makes a large difference.

7 l/100km is bad for Civic/Elantra/etc on the highway.
This is a $13k after tax 02 Civic I bought in late 2003 when usdcad was 1.4 to 1.5. People can surely beat my cost of ownership but last few years I have just changed motor oil and filters. Outside of fuel, I guarantee I never spent more than $7k on maintenance and repair even using a dealership for the first six years of ownership. Even economy.gov said it was around 33/34 on the highway. Not sure it is that bad lol after 15 years.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2049 posts
641 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 4:17 pm
This is a $13k after tax 02 Civic I bought in late 2003 when usdcad was 1.4 to 1.5. People can surely beat my cost of ownership but last few years I have just changed motor oil and filters. Outside of fuel, I guarantee I never spent more than $7k on maintenance and repair even using a dealership for the first six years of ownership. Even economy.gov said it was around 33/34 on the highway. Not sure it is that bad lol after 15 years.
I used to have a 2004 Civic. Manual, admitted, but we got much better fuel efficiency than that - but then, I drive at the speed limit!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41547 posts
10220 upvotes
daverobev wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 8:43 pm
I used to have a 2004 Civic. Manual, admitted, but we got much better fuel efficiency than that - but then, I drive at the speed limit!
Like how much, 36 consistently and you sold it before it was 15 years old? You never save money selling something that runs without need for high maintenance.

2 MPG is not a lot of difference. My point is we get fuel economy gov numbers so can't fault us if we are not hypermilers.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2049 posts
641 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 8:59 pm
Like how much, 36 consistently and you sold it before it was 15 years old? You never save money selling something that runs without need for high maintenance.

2 MPG is not a lot of difference. My point is we get fuel economy gov numbers so can't fault us if we are not hypermilers.
Wife crunched it :-/ Can't remember if it hit 300k or not, but it was close if not.
Sep 21, 2004
8864 posts
2397 upvotes
Calgary
crystallight wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 12:05 am
$6.49 for my Elantra. My fuelly account says I average 5.9L/100km.
But I didn't realize that most vehicles average about twice that. That seems a lot to me.
This is probably highway driving. How's the mileage in stop and go city driving? Probably close to 7.5-8L/100KM?

Also, the fuel counter in cars are always way too optimistic. So far I haven't driven any car that does not overestimate its fuel efficiency.

On a side note, EV actually has better range in stop and go traffic than highway driving due to regen braking.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2380 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 6:30 pm
This is probably highway driving. How's the mileage in stop and go city driving? Probably close to 7.5-8L/100KM?

Also, the fuel counter in cars are always way too optimistic. So far I haven't driven any car that does not overestimate its fuel efficiency.

On a side note, EV actually has better range in stop and go traffic than highway driving due to regen braking.
Yeah I've never encountered a fuel counter on a car that was actually accurate...it always says the fuel economy is better than it actually is. That's why I mentioned the 5.9L/100km is from my fuelly account so it's definitely accurate. I would never rely on my car's reading.

That 5.9L/100km (over the lifetime of the car) is a mix of both highway and city. I would say 60% highway and 40% city. My driving habits have changed since earlier this year though and it's now probably 25% highway and 75% city but I have literally not once ever had a fillup that reached 7L/100km (again this per my fuelly account).

I would say that I do drive in a way that doesn't waste gas though. As in I don't accelerate like I need to outrun someone, nor do I usually go above 120 on the highway...things like that.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27306 posts
1773 upvotes
Winnipeg
williamsauga wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 12:47 am
My PriusV averaging 6.5L/100km, Audi Q7 averaging 16L/100km.

So, 10-12L/100km is accurate for most cars.
your hybrid gets you the same milage as another's elantra? what's the point of hybrid?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
345 upvotes
crystallight wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 12:13 pm
Yeah I've never encountered a fuel counter on a car that was actually accurate...it always says the fuel economy is better than it actually is. That's why I mentioned the 5.9L/100km is from my fuelly account so it's definitely accurate. I would never rely on my car's reading.

That 5.9L/100km (over the lifetime of the car) is a mix of both highway and city. I would say 60% highway and 40% city. My driving habits have changed since earlier this year though and it's now probably 25% highway and 75% city but I have literally not once ever had a fillup that reached 7L/100km (again this per my fuelly account).

I would say that I do drive in a way that doesn't waste gas though. As in I don't accelerate like I need to outrun someone, nor do I usually go above 120 on the highway...things like that.
I guess you are the best Elantra driver out there. If you go on fuelly website and browse Elantra, average for any model year is at least 7.4
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
1837 posts
429 upvotes
Calgary
xrvr wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 8:48 pm
Sign at the Ontario Science Centre in Toronto.

Why doesn't the sign show the more intensive CO2 emissions to make an average EV?
How would the $/km change for a Focus EV vs regular Focus when you back out the huge rebate that someone has to pay for?
Sep 21, 2004
8864 posts
2397 upvotes
Calgary
aleks wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 2:40 pm
Why doesn't the sign show the more intensive CO2 emissions to make an average EV?
How would the $/km change for a Focus EV vs regular Focus when you back out the huge rebate that someone has to pay for?
They should definitely do that. In fact, factor in all the CO2 emissions to make an ICE vehicles, as well as all CO2 emissions from extracting, refining and transporting of gasoline. That will show which technology is truly environment friendly. Also don't forget to add up all the huge tax breaks taxpayers gave to oil & gas industrial complex. Without government subsidy, I can't imagine how expensive gas is going to be.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2380 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto
LoveRFD wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 2:26 pm
I guess you are the best Elantra driver out there. If you go on fuelly website and browse Elantra, average for any model year is at least 7.4
Close. There are two other Elantras (same model year, engine) that are getting better fuel economy than me on Fuelly.
Average for my model year and engine is 7.5 as per fuelly. So even if I was getting the average fuel economy for my vehicle, that's still far from the 11L/100km that is needed to spend $12 on gas to drive 100km. But I understand that a sedan uses less gas than a lot of other vehicles out there (trucks, minivans, SUVs, luxury cars, etc).