• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2010 4:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 5, 2009
132 posts

Cost to replace tire stud

So I went to get my winter tires swapped out and was told that one of the rear tire studs is messed up and they couldn't get the lug on all the way and that I should get it checked.

I called the dealership and my car's just barely out of warranty but they're checking if the part is covered under the 5-year 100,000 km coverage (Nissan Altima 2007).

Can someone give me a sense of what this is going to cost to fix? The tire guy said that the stud just needed to be knocked out and a new one set. I'll go with the dealership if they fix it under warranty, else is there another place in the GTA (Mississauga) where I could go? Also, how bad is it to drive a week or two with four tight lugs and one not tight all the way?

Thanks.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
5227 posts
339 upvotes
Toronto
bakhlawa wrote:
Apr 12th, 2010 11:13 am
So I went to get my winter tires swapped out and was told that one of the rear tire studs is messed up and they couldn't get the lug on all the way and that I should get it checked.

I called the dealership and my car's just barely out of warranty but they're checking if the part is covered under the 5-year 100,000 km coverage (Nissan Altima 2007).

Can someone give me a sense of what this is going to cost to fix? The tire guy said that the stud just needed to be knocked out and a new one set. I'll go with the dealership if they fix it under warranty, else is there another place in the GTA (Mississauga) where I could go? Also, how bad is it to drive a week or two with four tight lugs and one not tight all the way?

Thanks.
I doubt your warranty would ever cover something like this as it is so completely outside the manufacturers control.

From reading your post, I assume one of the studs and lug bolts were cross threaded and the threads on the stud were damaged. Depending on the extent of the damage, it may be possible to repair the stud. Replacing a stud is not a big deal either but I would not choose a dealership to do it without checking a few other places. I'm surprised a tire place was not equipped to do this. It also seems to me that they probably messed it up.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10986 posts
1342 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Apr 12th, 2010 11:44 am
... I'm surprised a tire place was not equipped to do this. It also seems to me that they probably messed it up.
+1, it probably got x threaded and then they blasted it on with an impact gun. They should have fixed it for you.
Aug 26, 2006
107 posts
GTA
My mechanic charged me $20, + ~$10 (IIRC) for the stud at the dealership.
He didn't actually have to replace the stud, he managed to fix the thread, but we agreed on $20 to have it fixed - so I paid it.
Could've done it myself, if I would've taken closer look.
CT wanted ~$100 for the set of 5 studs, btw :)
× < >