• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 8:25 pm
[OP]
Jun 6, 2007
935 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto

cost to replace/upgrade gas fireplace

Have this old fireplace. Am very contempt with the existing mantel and frame. But the actual fireplace and its ignition dial/control (circled in red) are very OLD. Still uses the pilot light system to ignite and start and get the fireplace going. The system is probably over 2 decades old even. So am looking to upgrade it. Am even ok with just a ceramic log setup as long as the control or ignition is not a hassle. Would prefer electronic dial , thermostat control etc....pretty much something modern but not expensive.

Looking for the cheapest possible option as the fireplace will rarely be used but i do want it to be functional.

I have been looking online and there seems to be a lot of stuff with regards to fireplaces and am confused. What are gas inserts? is that what i need to upgrade the fireplace?
What do i need to replace or upgrade this old fireplace? Roughly about how much should I expect to spend to buy a "new" fireplace and how much should i expect and installer to charge?
Images
  • IMG_4478.jpg
Stumbled upon RFD by mistake, best mistake of my internet life i must say...... :D
10 replies
Jul 7, 2017
58 posts
10 upvotes
If that is a brick fire place/chimney, you already do have a fireplace insert - it's what you place inside an old hearth. Does it just burn gas or do you burn gas to get combustibles (wood, compress wood) burning?

I've gotten quotes for a gas insert in the past in a former house. It wasn't cheap (couple of thousand) and then you have installation. To bring it up to code, you may have to extend the non-combustible surface in front of the fireplace/insert.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2007
935 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:59 pm
If that is a brick fire place/chimney, you already do have a fireplace insert - it's what you place inside an old hearth. Does it just burn gas or do you burn gas to get combustibles (wood, compress wood) burning?

I've gotten quotes for a gas insert in the past in a former house. It wasn't cheap (couple of thousand) and then you have installation. To bring it up to code, you may have to extend the non-combustible surface in front of the fireplace/insert.
It burns gas...no combustibles.
Can anyone recommend a professional in the barrie/Wasaga beach area?
Stumbled upon RFD by mistake, best mistake of my internet life i must say...... :D
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2759 posts
389 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
olddog wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:47 am
It burns gas...no combustibles.
Can anyone recommend a professional in the barrie/Wasaga beach area?
I think Napoleon are actually made in Barrie so look for a dealer around you. You're probably looking at 2 to 3k installed at a minimum.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2980 posts
822 upvotes
Paris
eldeejay wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:35 am
I think Napoleon are actually made in Barrie so look for a dealer around you. You're probably looking at 2 to 3k installed at a minimum.
I believe you may be low... $2-3k for a Napoleon THEN install and whatever it will take to come to current code. We looked at moving in 2011 and the range for a fireplace looking thing that you built your own mantel around was $2k-6k plus install and the freestanding ones and insert ones started at $3k then install.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2980 posts
822 upvotes
Paris
If the current one WORKS I would trash the tile around it and redo it and leave it be.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Feb 15, 2007
9 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
We just replaced ours. One of the first things we were told is there really is no difference between replacing and installing new as unless you are installing the exact same model as the venting will probably not line up.

We replaced ours with a 36" fireplace and the unit was $3150 which included installation and taxes. We spent a little more than that as we added reflective walls, a remote, a light kit and custom frame. They built the base but we framed the new wall around it and did the tiling ourselves.

I've attached the before and afters. Just need the frame which will replace the wood surround.
Images
  • old.jpg
  • 2.png
  • new.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1838 posts
760 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
That looks like it may be a type of insert. Usually they sit in what the firebox of the wood burning fireplace. Good way to tell is, if you look outside and see a masonry chimney, that's what has gone on. Typically the gas fireplace will have venting run up through the old chimney, so you'll see a metal pipe sticking out the top of the masonry chimney. Or it could just be a style that looks like an insert. Lots of weird and wonderful designs out there.

Nothing wrong with having a standing pilot (other than fuel consumption). If your power goes out, your fireplace will still function. You can turn the pilot off in summer.
If you want thermostatic control, you normally can add one to this type of fireplace. The thermostats are millivolt rated, so you'd have to get one from a place that sells fireplaces, not from a Box store. Don't think you can get a Nest thermostat either.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
That's going to be the cheapest option. Probably less than $100 in materials, but you'll probably want to have it wired up for you, so add another $100-150 for a service call.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2007
935 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
wow...honestly was not thinking it would this expensive.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1838 posts
760 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
olddog wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 12:12 am
wow...honestly was not thinking it would this expensive.
$250 is expensive?
Cheapest option is to do nothing...
Jul 7, 2017
58 posts
10 upvotes
This is not an inexpensive item. High markups for the insert (or fireplace or stove or whatever) and cost of install.

You could always shop around for a used unit but you're risking that it won;t fit, is defective, etc. and still have the cost of installation.