Home & Garden

Cost of replacing shingles for an entire roof?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2020 2:29 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes

Cost of replacing shingles for an entire roof?

Hey just a quick question, anyone know the cost to replace shingles of a whole roof with a decent 30 year warranty? Of course, there are various factors, but an approx cost of a 3000 sq ft house? Im sure others are getting work done so just looking to see rough estimates.

Thanks in advance.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6833 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
Depends on where, when, and what type of house/roof. $5-$25G.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6695 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Sanyo wrote: Hey just a quick question, anyone know the cost to replace shingles of a whole roof with a decent 30 year warranty? Of course, there are various factors, but an approx cost of a 3000 sq ft house? Im sure others are getting work done so just looking to see rough estimates.

Thanks in advance.
Friend got his huge house done 2-3 summers ago for 6.5k cash, no 30byr warranty; probably bit larger roof sq ft then yours.

We paid 5 k [no 30 yr warranty] but did get quotes from roofers giving longer warranty [certified roofers for various shingles companies] and that was in 10-11k ballpark tax incl.

Our house smaller then yours based on roof sq ft so would think at least 12k + for yours.

Get referrals and see roofs for yourself that were done few years back... how they stand up to weather... then even if no 30 yr warranty from these roofers would suggest worth calling.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
194 upvotes
Depends on location - I think you're out East right, @Sanyo? You can't get away with the quotation process - it's free anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
georvu wrote:
We paid 5 k [no 30 yr warranty] but did get quotes from roofers giving longer warranty [certified roofers for various shingles companies] and that was in 10-11k ballpark tax incl.

That sounds about right. It's kind of a trade-off between warranty and cost. It's probably better to go with the cheaper option as long as the installer is reputable and does good work. I went with the pricier option with warranty but the more that I think about it, the cheaper option would have probably worked out just as well. You also need to be careful about whether the roofing company will even be around to honor the warranty. The company I went with has been around for 30 years so far, but the warranty will be no good if they shut down or go bankrupt. So there's another reason to go with the cheaper option.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
dealseaker101 wrote: That sounds about right. It's kind of a trade-off between warranty and cost. It's probably better to go with the cheaper option as long as the installer is reputable and does good work. I went with the pricier option with warranty but the more that I think about it, the cheaper option would have probably worked out just as well. You also need to be careful about whether the roofing company will even be around to honor the warranty. The company I went with has been around for 30 years so far, but the warranty will be no good if they shut down or go bankrupt. So there's another reason to go with the cheaper option.
In my neighbourhood there is pretty much only GAF or IKO shingles used. I just spoke to my roofer from 3 years ago and he said of 70 houses he repaired this weekend, not a single one was GAF. He said (literally quote) "Any hack can put GAF on and they don't come off. Its a great system" He said he had no warranty work (and based on living here 10 years + and watching, I have an idea of who did what and with what as you can spot the difference between IKO and GAF from the street).

So the 30 year Iko with no warranty is a bad choice. IKO 1-4 year old installs in our area failed. Gaf with no warranty would make some sense, but why not get the warranty too?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4548 posts
2623 upvotes
I did mine almost 3 years ago and it was $6200 cash for GAF shingles. My house is almost 3000 sq feet. Ikos were about $4500 but I opted for the better shingles and the life-time warranty (don’t remember what it means).

He was an authorized GAF installer.
Jan 27, 2007
58 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
boonjaca wrote: I did mine almost 3 years ago and it was $6200 cash for GAF shingles. My house is almost 3000 sq feet. Ikos were about $4500 but I opted for the better shingles and the life-time warranty (don’t remember what it means).

He was an authorized GAF installer.
This is an older post, but mind if I ask who you went with and are you still happy with the work? We are starting to shop around.