Cost to run 40 vs 50 gallon Gas Hot Water Tank?
- There are only two of us in the house, but we have guests twice a month or so
- The tank is a basic vent-to-the-chimney gas hot water heater
- The cost difference to rent a 50 gallon over a 40 gallon is negligible
- We aren't planning on staying in the house long enough to make purchasing one cost effective (our rental cost is going up to $12.50 next month)
- One bathroom, but we will be converting the powder room into a full bathroom in the next year
We could barely get two showers out of our old 40 gallon tank, so I want them to install the 50 gallon they were supposed to install. However, they argued the following:
a) It costs less to run a 40 gallon tank
b) The old one was probably filled with sediment so we got very little hot water
Is there any truth to either of these? Is there a noticeable difference in the cost to run a 40 vs. 50 gallon tank?