Tags:
None
73 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
crystallight wrote: I tend to take long showers as it feels amazing. While I was taking one this morning I was wondering how much it was costing me. Obviously this depends on everyone's water heater and probably other variables, but does anyone know how much it roughly costs for every 10 minutes of showering?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
crystallight wrote: I tend to take long showers as it feels amazing. While I was taking one this morning I was wondering how much it was costing me. Obviously this depends on everyone's water heater and probably other variables, but does anyone know how much it roughly costs for every 10 minutes of showering?
Dumbest question ever...you do know that there are 76 electric utility companies in Canada charging different rates right? ..let alone putting a location in your post or profile.
Last edited by Cas77 on Jun 1st, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1783 posts
779 upvotes
Priceless!

As you said, it feels amazing!
Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest, Sir? - Because it is there.

— George Leigh Mallory
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1187 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote: Dumbest question ever...you do know that there are 76 electric utility companies in Canada charging different rates right? ..let alone putting a location in your post or profile.
I agree, but OP was having a shower thought. The best ideas are thought of in the shower or on the toilet. Give OP a break.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
I thought most water heaters are gas?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Varies significantly due to a number of factors....

-- is hot water tank heated by gas or electricity?
-- cost of local gas/electricity and if time of use rates are involved?
-- shower head water flow rate?
-- cost of local water and waste water charges, if applicable?

This website laid out a walk/thru of costs and came up with about $2 is sevrtal assumptions. Probably a good ballpark to get an idea of what you're looking at though....

http://www.atsecosolutions.com/saveonshowering.html
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: I thought most water heaters are gas?
Again many older houses and rural across Canada are electric. Also many areas in Quebec and Atlantic Canada are not using gas (still using oil)...I think last statistics I saw was less than 50% have gas.

Edit: Just looked in up on statscan and in 2011 50% of houses used gas.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
10 minutes is not long.
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
385 upvotes
Markham, ON
You know this is rfd when people are calculating the cost of taking a showerFace With Tears Of Joy
Cas77 wrote: Dumbest question ever...you do know that there are 76 electric utility companies in Canada charging different rates right? ..let alone putting a location in your post or profile.
OP is obviously looking for a very rough, average estimate, not an exactly answer. (i.e. whether it is like $0.50 - $1.50 range or $3-$5 rabge, etc)
I am sure the 76 utility companies generally charge different, but similar rate. (e.g. <50% difference)

To op question:
I think average shower faucet is 1.5gpm? So 10 min = 15 gallons of water.
I think most ppl pay around $0.015/gal = $0.23 to take a 10 minutes shower (assuming you are a real man and take tap cold water shower)
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
I usually let the shower run for 10 minutes without me in it!! Like to get it nice and steamy before I step in!! I might take a dump in the meantime while the shower is running.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
This is what google told me:

The cost of a 10 minute shower is:132.475 liters, multiplied by the cost per heated liter of water $.0146612, or $1.9424 for the average ten-minute shower in Minneapolis, MN. If one person showered once a day for ten minutes the cost for one month (30 days) would equal: $58.27 per month.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Repooc wrote: I usually let the shower run for 10 minutes without me in it!! Like to get it nice and steamy before I step in!! I might take a dump in the meantime while the shower is running.
The steam is a natural laxative.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
vkizzle wrote: I thought most water heaters are gas?
Gas water heaters still use a little electricity. Go check your water heater, it will have a power cord plugged into an electrical outlet.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote: Gas water heaters still use a little electricity. Go check your water heater, it will have a power cord plugged into an electrical outlet.
Some, not all.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
crystallight wrote: Thanks, so roughly $2 per every 10 minute of showering. That's more than I thought!
Well, their first suggestion is to replace the 3.5 gpm showerhead used in their example with a "low flow" showerhead (which is the norm now), which could cut your cost in half. Plus they appear to assume that the shower is consuming only hot water. Mixing hot and cold will cut your costs down as well.

I also don't think I trust their calculation on how much energy is needed to heat the water. This page gives a more detailed breakdown of the energy required to heat all the water in your hot water tank.
http://www.freeby50.com/2008/12/what-do ... on-of.html

They work it out to $0.73 (based on water going from 60 degrees to 123 degrees F, and $0.11/KWh) for a 40 gallon tank (= 150 liters). Their breakdown is more comprehensive, and thus, more believable to me.

C
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
BeapChastard wrote: Gas water heaters still use a little electricity. Go check your water heater, it will have a power cord plugged into an electrical outlet.
Correct, for the vent motor!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
fdl wrote: This is what google told me:

The cost of a 10 minute shower is:132.475 liters, multiplied by the cost per heated liter of water $.0146612, or $1.9424 for the average ten-minute shower in Minneapolis, MN. If one person showered once a day for ten minutes the cost for one month (30 days) would equal: $58.27 per month.
Clearly wrong as we have 3 showering people in our house that are easily 7 mins on average per day and we dont pay $58.27x3x70%=$122.37 in just shower bills per month. My overall electricity/water/gas load for the whole house is $260-360 depending on time of year. The oven, heat or AC, minimum charges are not the rest of the bill. We also spend weeks away at the cottage during the summer and my bill doesn't drop by an equivilent amount. We spent 3 weeks in Florida in September and it didn't cut my bill by much September over September (not really heat or cooling during that period)
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
No electricity used for non-powervent heaters like mine. Nice to still have hot water when there's a power outage.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
Vastly incorrect assumption.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)