Page 11 of 14

Re: Costco 100% Merino Wool - MENS Longsleeve baselayer top $19.99???

Posted: Oct 24th, 2012 2:45 pm
by anthma
I think by 100% other brand he means the Segments brand. If it is the same company producing True North and Segments like someone else alluded earlier; i think the quality would most likely be the same... can anyone who has both in the household confirm?

if you've never tried merino to see if it's itchy or not; it doesn't hurt to buy it at Costco as they have a 100% satisfaction return policy.
althetrainer wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 2:24 pm
When you said "the other brand" did you mean Paradox? I am still trying to decide if I should get the women's 100% wool or the wool blend Paradox. I like non-stinky wool but at the same time I worry if I can handle the itchiness of 100%. Could you please explain how the other brand is not as good of a product? My local Costco doesn't have the 100% for women so I will have to drive all the way to Airdrie to get them. Just want to make sure the trip is worth it. Thanks!

Posted: Oct 24th, 2012 3:20 pm
by althetrainer
anthma wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 2:45 pm
I think by 100% other brand he means the Segments brand. If it is the same company producing True North and Segments like someone else alluded earlier; i think the quality would most likely be the same... can anyone who has both in the household confirm?

if you've never tried merino to see if it's itchy or not; it doesn't hurt to buy it at Costco as they have a 100% satisfaction return policy.
Thank you for clarifying that for me. When I went to Beacon Hill I looked for True North and Paradox only. Were the Segments shirts on a table or in a package?

I have never tried 100% wool because the thought of it makes me itch! :razz: The Merino blend socks that I got from Costco were fine but I cannot stretch the top over my calf because it bothers my skin. But if I keep the sock around (or below) my ankle then I am fine.

I know Costco will take them back but I hate even the thought of returning a worn base layer... it's kinda gross! :lol:

Posted: Oct 24th, 2012 3:56 pm
by anthma
segments shirt are on a table. you can always put your arm inside a shirt and see how it feels first to try.
althetrainer wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 3:20 pm
Thank you for clarifying that for me. When I went to Beacon Hill I looked for True North and Paradox only. Were the Segments shirts on a table or in a package?

I have never tried 100% wool because the thought of it makes me itch! :razz: The Merino blend socks that I got from Costco were fine but I cannot stretch the top over my calf because it bothers my skin. But if I keep the sock around (or below) my ankle then I am fine.

I know Costco will take them back but I hate even the thought of returning a worn base layer... it's kinda gross! :lol:

Posted: Oct 24th, 2012 11:02 pm
by Firebolt
segments and true north are the same company. You can go check out their website, they also make avia etc.
http://www.coapparel.ca/

Posted: Oct 24th, 2012 11:23 pm
by paaji
None in Surrey store, might have try different one.

Posted: Oct 24th, 2012 11:29 pm
by asennad
Picked one up yesterday. Nice shirt fits me well nice and long at waist and arms. Not itchy at all but the neck opening is a little bigger than i would like. For $20 I am definitely keeping it.

Posted: Oct 24th, 2012 11:31 pm
by photon
Can anyone kindly explain what so special about this True North Longsleeve baselayer top ?
I found it very thin. It does not look like wool to me, in fact it feels like ultra-thin cotton underwear.
I doubt whether this True North Longsleeve baselayer top will keep warm?????????????

Posted: Oct 24th, 2012 11:34 pm
by akt921
Bought 2 at 14th & Markham Rd location, the sleeves seems to be too long for me(compared to all the base layer I have). Otherwise quality is very good for the price.

Posted: Oct 24th, 2012 11:35 pm
by whitefinger
You use it as a baselayer to wick away moisture. Depending on the weather, you would have one or more layers on top of this.

Posted: Oct 25th, 2012 8:47 am
by dealCker
photon wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 11:31 pm
Can anyone kindly explain what so special about this True North Longsleeve baselayer top ?
I found it very thin. It does not look like wool to me, in fact it feels like ultra-thin cotton underwear.
I doubt whether this True North Longsleeve baselayer top will keep warm?????????????
Simply give it a try. Depending on weather, you will have to layer appropriately for the activity you want to do.
Google merino wool base layer and it'll give you an explanation of what ppl use it for.
For snowboarding, I typically wear a long sleeve, and perhaps a synthetic t shirt layered with a fleece and shell (either thin for warmer temps or insulated for colder)
Everyone is different you'll have to figure it out for yourself, the biggest thing is that when you sweat, the moisture will be moved away from your body. Keeping you more comfortable, cotton on the other hand will hold the moisture next to your body making it feel colder

Posted: Oct 25th, 2012 11:14 am
by anthma
found at http://www.divideandconker.co.uk/site/m ... source.php

hydroscopic it’s capable of absorbing moisture vapour and moving it away from your body, while at the same time repelling liquids.
That's unique to Merino.

highly absorbent the fibre can hold up to 30% of its weight in moisture before it starts to feel damp.

a heat releaser it has a 'heat of sorption' rate of four times as much as nylon and at least double that of polyester, meaning that even it's cold or damp, this molecular process releases heat back to your body, keeping you warm.

breathable there is no unpleasant 'clammy' sensation and Merino garments can be worn in warm or cool weather.

naturally resistant to odour & soiling as a result, Merino garments don't need washing as often or as vigorously as synthetics and keep looking and smelling good for longer.

a great insulator merino has a natural crimp, enabling it to trap air effectively, thus insulating the body from the cold.

ideal for sensitive skin it's made of the same substance that human skin is made of - keratin. No wonder it doesn't itch!

highly fire resistant it's one of the least flammable of fibres, having high fire resistance due to its unique composition (keratin) and high water absorption (Merino doesn't melt if it comes into contact with flame) - great for sitting round a camp fire!

static minimised it's relatively free of static problems because its chemical structure and water-sorbing properties makes it a good conductor.
photon wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 11:31 pm

Posted: Oct 25th, 2012 11:32 am
by ride365
althetrainer wrote:
Oct 24th, 2012 2:24 pm
When you said "the other brand" did you mean Paradox? I am still trying to decide if I should get the women's 100% wool or the wool blend Paradox. I like non-stinky wool but at the same time I worry if I can handle the itchiness of 100%. Could you please explain how the other brand is not as good of a product? My local Costco doesn't have the 100% for women so I will have to drive all the way to Airdrie to get them. Just want to make sure the trip is worth it. Thanks!
It was not the paradox brand, it was another brand of womens 100% merino. Not so much an athletic top; moreso an everyday top. I'm wearing a 100% merino icebreaker top right now and I definitely wouldn't say its itchy. It isn't as smooth as cotton but I don't notice it after a couple minutes. The warmth and softness is worth the little bit of scratchiness. Keep in mind that there are many different kinds of merino wool. The higher the number (thickness) the more scratchy the wool is (it come from the outside layer of the sheeps wool as opposed to the layer right beside the skin which is less weathered, softer and is nicer than cotton). I wouldn't drive to get the women's top. My girlfriend picked one up and it was back on the table in less than 10 seconds. If you're interested in learning more about merino wool and its unique properties i'd read this wiki link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icebreaker_(clothing) If you compare the price of regular icebreaker to this you are getting a real steal. I love the product but would never pay full price. I do ski patrol and it really makes a world of a difference to being happy in the cold.

Posted: Oct 25th, 2012 11:38 am
by 89fenix
downtown Vancouver location - only sizes L and above left as of yesterday night

same with women's sizes I believe.

Posted: Oct 25th, 2012 1:41 pm
by anthma
the true north http://www.coapparel.ca/true_north/prod ... ucts47.php is actually made by the same company as the women's brand (segments) http://www.coapparel.ca/segments/produc ... ucts38.php

ride365, are you sure the quality of the segments womens merino is different? can anybody else chime in on this.. looking to buy some of the segments 100% merino for my mom but only if it's as good as the true north ones

ride365 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2012 11:32 am
It was not the paradox brand, it was another brand of womens 100% merino. Not so much an athletic top; moreso an everyday top. I'm wearing a 100% merino icebreaker top right now and I definitely wouldn't say its itchy. It isn't as smooth as cotton but I don't notice it after a couple minutes. The warmth and softness is worth the little bit of scratchiness. Keep in mind that there are many different kinds of merino wool. The higher the number (thickness) the more scratchy the wool is (it come from the outside layer of the sheeps wool as opposed to the layer right beside the skin which is less weathered, softer and is nicer than cotton). I wouldn't drive to get the women's top. My girlfriend picked one up and it was back on the table in less than 10 seconds. If you're interested in learning more about merino wool and its unique properties i'd read this wiki link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icebreaker_(clothing) If you compare the price of regular icebreaker to this you are getting a real steal. I love the product but would never pay full price. I do ski patrol and it really makes a world of a difference to being happy in the cold.

Posted: Oct 25th, 2012 3:39 pm
by Daijoubu
It's not bad by any means, especially at that price, I just find that the ones my GF bought have a tendency to get teared fairy easily because of velcro, etc, which results into small holes.

So it's fragile and it must be handled with more care as it's a lighterweight fabric, so don't wash it with jeans/garnments with zippers