Hot Deals

[Costco] $1399 Vizio Smart 4K M65-E0 (2017 model)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 12:05 pm
Feb 29, 2016
219 posts
93 upvotes
G77 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 4:47 pm
Hmm, that's kind of annoying - I already have a PS4 Pro and will likely add more 4k devices over time.... Is there HDMI 2.0 switches that would solve the problem (albeit still a little annoying).
You'd have a 4K set, a PS4 Pro....you need a receiver to handle all those 4K sources properly
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4705 posts
597 upvotes
RetiredRFDer wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 5:04 pm
You'd have a 4K set, a PS4 Pro....you need a receiver to handle all those 4K sources properly
Na, You can get something like this: 3 Port Switch

Its a bit annoying, but it'll work. I plan on going the receiver route personally.
Feb 19, 2017
107 posts
41 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 5:11 pm

Its a bit annoying, but it'll work.
Thing is if you have a good TV, odds are the sound system on those TV will becoming lacking so you probably want a good receiver/speaker system anyways. I have my PS4 pro, nvidia shield, PC and a BR player all going through my receiver on the primary TV in my living room. Didn't put switch through the receiver since i'm saving the last spot for one X/scorpio later this year
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4705 posts
597 upvotes
Paigne wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 5:18 pm
Thing is if you have a good TV, odds are the sound system on those TV will becoming lacking so you probably want a good receiver/speaker system anyways. I have my PS4 pro, nvidia shield, PC and a BR player all going through my receiver on the primary TV in my living room. Didn't put switch through the receiver since i'm saving the last spot for one X/scorpio later this year
Yeah unfortunately I already have a pretty decent receiver that doesn't support HDMI 2.0 pass through. My plan was to "upgrade" at some point since I'm currently passing through my audio through the TV via optical giving me only dolby digital. However these switchs are a decent solution for now, all though I currently just have my Xbox 1 S running through through the 4K port. My switch & OG PS4 are running through the other HDMI's.
Last edited by SpicYMchaggis on Aug 1st, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3391 posts
434 upvotes
Windsor
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 5:11 pm

Its a bit annoying, but it'll work. I plan on going the receiver route personally.
That's very similar to what I have now for non 2.0 devices....

I do have a receiver but it's pretty old and doesn't have HDMI switching nevermind 2.0. A lot of the time I use the PS4 with Gold headphones so not to disturb anyone else in the house.
Feb 19, 2017
107 posts
41 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 5:54 pm
Yeah unfortunately I already have a pretty decent receiver that doesn't support HDMI 2.0 pass through. My plan was to "upgrade" at some point since I'm currently passing through my audio through the TV via optical giving me only dolby digital. However these switchs are a decent solution for now, all though I currently just have my Xbox 1 S running through through the 4K port. My switch & OG PS4 are running through the other HDMI's.
Yeah i had that problem and upgraded my receiver BF.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2005
1748 posts
176 upvotes
Warden and huntingwo…
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 4:41 pm
Its probably the best "budget" TV on the market in Canada right now (the TCL P probably has the edge but its only available in the US).

If you want to spend a bit more you can get the P Series or the Sony X900E (both offer a better picture, the former offers better local dimming and the latter is brighter and offers better HDR) and if you want the best TV on the Market stick with the LG OLEDS.

I picked this up to tie me over till OLEDS get cheaper and the new HDMI Spec gets sorted out.

The picture quality is great, it gets quite bright IMO and the local dimming offers black levels that are actually better then the plasma I replaced it with.

I have a few complaints
re that it has only 1 HDMI 2.0 port (meaning only one of the five HDMI ports can properly handle a 4K/60FPS format) and with the local dimming active there is quite a bit of bloom when you have white on black (ie the text at the beginning of the film, or a loading bubble in the bottom right) however I've yet to notice this outside of game loading screens and title screens during shows/movies. Also due to a lack of backlight (32 compared to 128 on the p series) occasionally you can see them flickering on and off, mostly when I'm navigating menus on my Xbox though.

Overall for the price its a great set, but Im still on the fence whether I want to exchange this for the P series as Im wondering if that will at least in some part remedy some of the complaints listed above but since I mostly only notice this navigating the xbox dashboard and during loading screens/opening scenes Im not sure if its worth the extra 700$ to fork over for the P series.
Ive noticed the same issues. Im not overly concerned about the single hdmi 2.0 port as i will be upgrading my receiver in the near future. Ive only noticed them flickering on and off when something like netflix is loading and its very noticable around the netflix title. Or when navigating the xbox dashboard. And the bloom is the same white text on a black screen. Never noticed when content is playing

For 800 difference now i cant justify the p series. Im sure the picture may be better but im quite happy with the m series.

This set is far better then the 65" 4k sharp tv i replaced which even after lots of tinkering with i never could get a picture i actually was happy with. The only thing better on the sharp was the sound. The vizio i set to calibrated and made a few small adjustments and am quite happy with it. I watched the first 20 mins of fate of the furious 4k and was quite impressed with the picture.
May 31, 2005
563 posts
64 upvotes
FYI vizio just launched new software on this set, so you can browse apps without casting. Pretty limited so far, but a start.

Also, I agree 100 percent that this is the best budget HDR / 4k tv out there. I got it for 1500 a few months ago and at the time nothing came close feature wise (WCG, 10 bit pannel, HDR etc etc)
Apr 30, 2011
188 posts
67 upvotes
Saint-Jerome
Bought the M55-E0 this weekend and I really like it.
Just not a fan of the casting thing because I dont want to keep unlocking my phone, so I bought a Roku Premiere +.
Also discovered that none of my hdmi cables at home are HDR compatible (18GBPS required).
Right now im at 4K 60 and it looks very good anyway using the RTINGS recommended color settings / calibration .
Jan 10, 2017
11 posts
4 upvotes
Has anyone come across this set in either Halifax or Dartmouth Crossing locations? Really close to pulling the trigger.
Mar 15, 2006
52 posts
5 upvotes
Montreal
Thinking about getting this TV but I’ll need some help because I would use this TV as a monitor hooked up to my HTPC with an AMD RX470. At first I thought it would be as simple as plugging an HDMI cable from the RX470 to my AVR and then to the TV to take advantage of 4k 60hz 4:4:4 HDR. But after some research it seems that to achieve this I would have to use the DisplayPort 1.4 on the RX470 since the HDMI on it is only 2.0 thus not HDR and 10bit compatible, only 8bit. So to take full advantage of the TV from what I understand, I’d have to get a new HDMI 2.0a AV receiver and some kind of DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0a cable/adapter?

Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1212 posts
95 upvotes
Richmond
I checked Costco DT Vancouver and they don't have this TV...I know Richmond does though

I have decided to purchase as well
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
17268 posts
3622 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
karl55 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 6:12 am
Bought the M55-E0 this weekend and I really like it.
Just not a fan of the casting thing because I dont want to keep unlocking my phone, so I bought a Roku Premiere +.
Also discovered that none of my hdmi cables at home are HDR compatible (18GBPS required).
Right now im at 4K 60 and it looks very good anyway using the RTINGS recommended color settings / calibration .
Jeez how old are your cables. 18Gbps has been a thing for ages. If you are getting 4K 60hz then your cables are working fine for high speed.
Feb 19, 2017
107 posts
41 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 4:07 pm
Jeez how old are your cables. 18Gbps has been a thing for ages. If you are getting 4K 60hz then your cables are working fine for high speed.
Considering how old HDMI is and how rare cables actually break down (assuming you don't change screens/move), he could've had it for 10+ years. Its not exactly rare... i still have some old cables used for older LEDs (bed room, washroom).

I actually bought a ton of amazon basics last year/early this year to replace a bunch of cables @ my dad's house. Before that, he had mostly HDMI 1.2 (or older and 1 2.0) cables.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

KSYC, backflush