Hot Deals

[Costco] 2018 Fall Tire Promotion @ Costco

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 12:31 pm
Feb 29, 2016
46 posts
4 upvotes
Guys, Need your suggestion whether i need to buy wheels or just buy winter tires .
My Odyssey 2018 touring came with 19 inch wheels, I am OK to downsize to 18 inch for winter tires . Even then the alloy wheels costs 170$ per wheel.
Is it all worth buying wheels (approx 800$ for 4 ) ?
Comparing the cost of replacement twice a year - According to my math if tires were on rim , i get return after approx 10 years .
I am not sure if my calculation is all right :-( .
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
5740 posts
255 upvotes
rjames123 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 4:21 pm
Guys, Need your suggestion whether i need to buy wheels or just buy winter tires .
My Odyssey 2018 touring came with 19 inch wheels, I am OK to downsize to 18 inch for winter tires . Even then the alloy wheels costs 170$ per wheel.
Is it all worth buying wheels (approx 800$ for 4 ) ?
Comparing the cost of replacement twice a year - According to my math if tires were on rim , i get return after approx 10 years .
I am not sure if my calculation is all right :-( .
In one year, you will need to pay $120 vs $50 to change tires. so if you were getting $800 rims sure.

I got a set of 18" rims from canadawheels.ca for $650 all in.

You should also keep in mind, Changing tires using the same rims run the risk of damaging the rims and the TPMS.
ALso, if you do it at costco, a seasonal swap is way easier to book than a full tire change and the time is shorter. 1.5h rs vs 15 mins
Feb 29, 2016
46 posts
4 upvotes
champ91 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 4:31 pm
In one year, you will need to pay $120 vs $50 to change tires. so if you were getting $800 rims sure.

I got a set of 18" rims from canadawheels.ca for $650 all in.

You should also keep in mind, Changing tires using the same rims run the risk of damaging the rims and the TPMS.
ALso, if you do it at costco, a seasonal swap is way easier to book than a full tire change and the time is shorter. 1.5h rs vs 15 mins

One more noob question . Do you also buy TPMS sensors or re-use from original set? Does costco sell them?
May 7, 2017
148 posts
58 upvotes
rilles wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 1:23 pm
So what happens after you order tires online and they ship out? Its been a week since my shipped notification. will my local costco contact me or do I have to call them?
Your local Costco will call you. I ordered last week on the 2nd, shipped on 3rd, I made an appointment online for the 11th. I just got a call today from Costco that my tires have arrived, and to confirm my appointment for tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1350 posts
310 upvotes
Calgary
rjames123 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 4:42 pm
One more noob question . Do you also buy TPMS sensors or re-use from original set? Does costco sell them?
You would want one set per wheel. You would have to remove the tire to remove the sensor. Costco might sell generic ones, but otherwise you would be best off getting oem honda ones from honda themselves and then costco could install them.
May 7, 2017
148 posts
58 upvotes
JordanTO wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 11:31 am
I think the $70 cash card only started today on the Michelin's
Ordered a set of Michelin last week on the 2nd, said they will be sending the cash card. See attachment.
Images
  • Screenshot_20181002-113048.png
Jan 5, 2006
119 posts
99 upvotes
Hamilton
For those that ordered tires to be shipped to the store, did your Status change to Shipped when it was shipped to store? I ordered 6 days ago and my Status still says Order Received.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2400 posts
344 upvotes
ThunderBay
superdave316 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 5:48 pm
For those that ordered tires to be shipped to the store, did your Status change to Shipped when it was shipped to store? I ordered 6 days ago and my Status still says Order Received.
go to the online web site, find the tracking number. follow the link to the shipper and view history. make sure it was actually delivered to your store.

Mine says delivered, but in the history I guess costco waits and bulk ships a bunch of tires (my pallet had 39 "pieces") to various intermediaries. It has not arrived at my store yet. (I ordered 10/1)
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1506 posts
778 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Balzard wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 8:56 am
With coupon RABAIS5, you get 5% off your order at Pneus à rabais / Quattro Tires until Oct. 12. I was told that I could apply this coupon on my pricematched quote when ordering over the phone.

If so, for a set of 225/65/17 Michelin X-Ice 2, Costco would be $759.95 - $20 Masterpass = $739.95, while Pneus à rabais would be $759.95 - $15 additional pricematch discount - 5% (assuming this gets applied here in the equation) = $707.70.
Thanks for the coupon code... I was just going to order a set of 4 Gislaved factory studded tires for the wife's car. 5% is always better than nothing. :)

Pneus a Rabais / Quattro tires is usually either identically priced or cheaper than my local costco. And they have a larger selection. I've ordered from them on a number of occasions.
Only advantage that Costco has is that they include a 5-year Road Hazard Warranty. Pneus a Rabais, it is only a 12 month warranty.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1506 posts
778 upvotes
Montreal, QC
taro-chan wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 3:59 pm
The cheapeset set of alloys. I am tired of rust from steelies
Rust on steelies is often when you get jobbers / generic ones.

I have 2 Honda cars. 1 has Genuine Honda steelies, and the other I got a set from Costco I bought a while back. The Genuine Honda winter steelies are on thier 14th season, and they still barely have any rust. The other ones, were showing significant rust after the 3rd season :(

And don't be afraid to negotiate steelies into the purchase price of a new/used car if buying from a dealer. Their cost is same as generic ones, and if it closes a sale, they'll gladly throw in a set for $50 a rim. On my sister's 2015 Journey R/T, Car came with 19" summer tires on chrome mags.. Called dealer to see what the smallest size steelies I could put on that car was, and they told me it was 17". Then I asked how much for genuine Mopar 17" steelies, and they quoted me $60 each.. I was shocked that they were reasonably priced. Decided to get them from them, since I did not want to risk getting 17" from elsewhere and then they didn't fit. And let me tell you, 17" is a very tight squeeze on those. Just barely clears the calipers. And those Mopar rims are heavy (and Made in the USA clearly stamped on them - Trump would be proud [Smiling Face With Sunglasses] ). This will be the 4th season, and they are very clean, and solid quality.
I wish their lugnuts were the same quality. What a piece of junk.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
5740 posts
255 upvotes
rjames123 wrote:
I didn't bother with it. I just left the light on for winter. My other car has itpms.

You have to buy your own set of tpms from the dealer or online. Costco wont have the specific one for your car
Jan 5, 2006
119 posts
99 upvotes
Hamilton
rilles wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 8:00 pm
go to the online web site, find the tracking number. follow the link to the shipper and view history. make sure it was actually delivered to your store.

Mine says delivered, but in the history I guess costco waits and bulk ships a bunch of tires (my pallet had 39 "pieces") to various intermediaries. It has not arrived at my store yet. (I ordered 10/1)
I don't see a tracking number on my order details page.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
18485 posts
5050 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
rjames123 wrote:
I buy mine for $40 each from rockauto, OE Densos. Not worth skimping on IMO.
May 7, 2017
148 posts
58 upvotes
superdave316 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 5:48 pm
I ordered online on the 2nd. Receiced an email saying order received. Then the next day received an email saying order shipped. Then today received a call from the shop saying they tires are ready.
May 19, 2017
208 posts
85 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 11:24 am

Oh well. I used the 4x Aeroplan promo, which is technically the better promo compared to $20 anyways when you consider the amount paid for the tires - 3600AP for my $900 purchase > $20.
I emailed costco and was told the 4x aeroplan is not eligible on tires. Can anyone confirm this is correct? I can’t find a list of eligible products in costco website.

Edit: I found it in the FAQ on Costco's website.

What are the restrictions on Aeroplan promotions?

Aeroplan Miles are credited on the purchase price of products offered online at Costco.ca and will not include shipping and handling, tax or other additional charges. If the product you are purchasing has a discount or promotion, you will not be credited Aeroplan Miles for the amount of the discount or promotion. Ineligible purchases include: new Costco memberships (which are eligible to receive 1,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles for a new Gold Star or Business membership and 2,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles for a new Executive membership), Costco membership renewals, gift of membership, tires, wheels, Costco Cash cards, Custom Installation Services, Costco Services, travel and online-digital print orders. Aeroplan Miles will not be awarded on cancelled or returned orders. Aeroplan Miles are not transferable. Offer may not be combined with any other offers or promotions.