Food & Drink

Costco. $56 Tax in for Wine Kit that makes 60 Bottles. Buck a bottle.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2016 12:54 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 25, 2006
56 posts
13 upvotes

Costco. $56 Tax in for Wine Kit that makes 60 Bottles. Buck a bottle.

Hello Everyone.

Seeing how the LCBO are thieves and charge 100% + tax per bottle of wine why not make your own, ready in 4 weeks. Seriously this is a SMOKING deal.

Costco has either a twin back (comes with 2 seperate kits that make 30 bottles each, 60 bottles total or 46L approx). The kits are either Merlot or Chardonnay. Unfortunately they do not have merlot/chardonnay mix packs, just buy 2 kits and split with someone.

They come with all the chemical stabilizers, yeast, cleaners, concentrate juice, oak wood chips, very detailed instructions, corks, labels.

All you need on your own that is not included in the kit but can buy at any wine or beer brew shop. Initial wine startup kits are usually $50 - $60 for all the supplies that you will require.

own supplies that you will need after are
23L carboy (a big jar basically that tapers to a small 2 in opening) approx $20- 25
air-loc - around $5
stopper - few bucks
30L plastic food grade bucket --know a baker
6 ft hose
hydrometer - around $10 -30 depending on quality
and a few other items but the majors I just listed.

not available at all Costco outlets but at

This kit is normally $69.99 but has a instant $14 rebate bring it to a $56 TAX IN deal.

From the company that makes the kits site.

http://argentiaridge.com/cgi-bin/EN/fro ... news_id=26

21 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1047 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
gpirovol wrote:
Nov 6th, 2007 6:36 pm
Do what Jesus once did, turn water into wine. His was a true miracle, this will cost ya $56 for 60 bottles. Less than a $1 a bottle if you can find enough empties that you clean we'll. Remember Sanitation is KEY. You will produce nasty water if you do not fully follow instructions.
My thoughts exactly last year... until I made 2 batches... bleh. Not that I expected much at this price, but not even tolerable. Brought it all back, they even gave me my money back on the kit that I opened and used.
Oct 20, 2001
721 posts
15 upvotes
Spruce Grove
might want to throw EAST up in the title.
Banned
Sep 2, 2006
5645 posts
2 upvotes
lol

'Smokin hot deal"
ItemFinder wrote:
Apr 13th, 2008 11:45 pm
Let me point out that the only people that like China are the mainlanders. Chinese from elsewhere refuse to be associated with China.
I always knew you were a genius.
Mar 16, 2004
423 posts
this is NOT a HOT deal.

if you are REALLY interested in making your own wine, go see an italian and they can point you to the right direction
Banned
Sep 2, 2006
5645 posts
2 upvotes
bacid1 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2007 7:39 pm
this is NOT a HOT deal.

if you are REALLY interested in making your own wine, go see an italian and they can point you to the right direction
Any italian?
ItemFinder wrote:
Apr 13th, 2008 11:45 pm
Let me point out that the only people that like China are the mainlanders. Chinese from elsewhere refuse to be associated with China.
I always knew you were a genius.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2003
4422 posts
1196 upvotes
A Place to Stand
I agree that LCBO taxation is repulsive....but not as repulsive as Costco wine, or most DIY wine kits.

I would not even cook with this shh!t.

Suitable for disinfectining wounds and getting your dog drunk....that is it.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14317 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
^^ Word.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2007
4523 posts
974 upvotes
Kootenays
Most white kits make very tolerable wine, better than many cheap whites. Red kits aren't fit to cook with.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
1927 posts
177 upvotes
Depends how you treat the wine that you brew. Any variations in temp, air leaks etc will cause off flavours. I've brewed very good red wine before and I've also brewed bad stuff too.

If the grape juice is good quality then the wine is only yours to ruin.
Nov 5, 2007
11 posts
1 upvote
I still have 10 liters of last years' batch - it's not drinkable if you're used to real wine.

If you want to try doing it yourself, I recommend buying a kit with "grape juice" and not "Grape juice concentrate".

Here's where you can start looking:

http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/1/wine/montreal

http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/1/wine/montreal

In Montreal, one of the places to get such kits is Mosti Mondiale :

http://www.mostimondiale.com/english/index_ce.asp

If you need help/advice PM

G
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5429 posts
171 upvotes
BC
i've made the costco wine kits in the past, some have turned out really well, others not so great.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15753 posts
1242 upvotes
GTA West
I have done my own wine through winemaking stores ... the quality was variable depending on the store but some was actually VERY good and it came out to about $4 per bottle.

At a price of $1 per bottle, I would be very wary of the quality of the product.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Nov 29, 2006
222 posts
1 upvote
I have made a couple of batches of wine over the past 6 months or so. I made a batch from real juice (Cab Sauv) which turned out real good and hopefully the remaining 12 bottles or so that I am saving will only get better.
I also made a batch of barolo from concentrate that wasn't as good but was told that this wine should be saved for at least 6 months before opening (ya, right, like I was gonna wait that long before tasting it....I will save the other 30 bottles before posting an opinion about it)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
215 upvotes
The key to good DIY wine is good juice, and proper aging before drinking. Everyone buys cheap crap, drinks it right away, then proclaims it to be bad wine.

I age mine for a year before drinking, and my cost works out to $4/bottle. It's as good as what I would buy in the low-mid price range at the LCBO for $8-12/bottle.

Most people don't even realize that most 'Ontario' wine (VQA aside) is only fermented and bottled here, the juice comes from outside the country. They use the same juice for it that you get when you buy a kit, in many cases. Ontario is not alone in this, juice is a commodity and sold all over the world from the major grape growing regions.
× < >